Tattoos

I'm kind of torn with the whole "booth at the sheep show" part.

On one hand I'm against the idea of picking a tat off a list that many folks might have, and somewhat randomly selecting the artist to do it.
But on the other hand, if these artists have done this a time or two, they are likely quite good at sheep. They have at least seen sheep if only mounted ones. And I'd think that's not a common thing for a tattoo artist. And likely they have reference pics of sheep tats they have done. Maybe even a few folks at the show with earlier sheep tats you could look at.

I think the show deal may be good especially if the artists are adding some personal touch to each tattoo or you can pay a little extra to get some personal touch added.

At the very least you can have a story that starts with "I got this at the Sheep show...." instead of the more common "Me and some buddies were drinking......".

I have one simple USMC on my right arm up above the sleeve line. I got it one night in Virginia Beach with a group of buddies; not all of which got to come home after all our different trips overseas. I will never regret my ink or the memories with those guys.

As for new ink - my current job has a strict "no visible ink" rule that has stopped me from getting half sleeves. If someday this rule no longer applies I plan to get at least one half sleeve. You only get one chance at this life - make it a good one. But I do agree with really thinking out the ink and making sure you like it. Also tattoo artists are like anything else in that you get what you pay for; the difference is that you are also stuck with what you paid for.

jmez

WKR
I have one. Got it in college. I played football and it is the school logo and name on my shoulder. No regrets at all.

Lots of tattoos here, many of which are visible. Fortunately I’m in an occupation where it’s culuturally acceptable. It could have impact on future options, but honestly I wouldn’t want those jobs anyway.

Vet your artist, and spend the money. Just like taxidermy. “Good work ain’t cheap, and cheap work ain’t good”

I’ve got sleeves. My knuckles say pork chop. Iv got flaming dice rolled to snake eyes on the back of my hand. I’ve got a bunch on my legs and one on my back- which I don’t really regret but then I’ve never actually seen it either. I’m 40 and still have some really good patches left that I’ve saved in case I find anymore artists whose work I may want to add to my collection.

M wife has no tattoos and isn’t really a fan of them but doesn’t mind mine. I had a lot when we met at 21 so she’s doesn’t know otherwise and I’ve added a lot since then.

My first ones “meant something” but eventually it just got to the point I knew or knew about artists that excited me and just ended up getting stuff that we both were excited about. I see a lot of guys with a tattoo or two that “have meaning” and they will ofen have bumper stickers on there truck that are similarly “meaningful” it’s really initially and finally
Just like any other art-
You collect what you like.

I’ve got a sweet tattoo of Elvis Presley as a zombie singing into an old school mic- that says “yabba Dabba doo the king is gone” which is a George jones song and that’s probably my favorite.
0afedf8774a77435d6e242da9ed720cf.jpg

Last edited:

ethan

WKR
I have two and both are bow hunting related. Don't really know that I can put my finger on exactly what made me want one. I do not have any regrets, but I will say you should DEFINITELY make sure it means something to you. And I got one each on my shoulder. So if I want it to not be seen, it isn't a problem.

ODB

WKR
1e24a8e0447fea4eaf52502dc1859223.jpg

Been trying to convince my wife to let me get one similar to this. As of now, its a no.

I dont have any but a good majority of my friends do. Their two suggestions are, make sure it has meaning to you and make sure that you get someone that knows what they are doing.

That tattoo reminds me of Norwegian black metal. Mayhem, Burzum, gorgoroth, , etc. I dig it.

But I’d never get one.

oldgoat

WKR
Technically I do, a blue dot on the inside of my left thigh. Stabbed myself with a freshly sharpened pencil in the fourth grade, scared myself sick that I was going to die from lead poisoning. Told school I was sick and wanted to go home, went home to die, just knew it was going to happen so I didn't even tell anybody what was up. Next day I was still fine so I went on with my life. I don't care for tattoos, never have, never will, even being a lifer in the Navy, I feel they are a fad for the average person and at some point, a good portion of the people having them, especially the ones that have gone overboard on it are. When they are my age they are going to be able to play the drinking game, guess what the tattoo used to be! When I was a kid, we had a family friend that got the obligatory dancing girl on one arm and dagger on the other when he was in the service, he saw me looking at them and said whatever you do, don't get tattoos when you grow up! It stuck with me, now days it's just normal.

Reactions: WCS

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Technically I do, a blue dot on the inside of my left thigh. Stabbed myself with a freshly sharpened pencil in the fourth grade, scared myself sick that I was going to die from lead poisoning. Told school I was sick and wanted to go home, went home to die, just knew it was going to happen so I didn't even tell anybody what was up. Next day I was still fine so I went on with my life. I don't care for tattoos, never have, never will, even being a lifer in the Navy, I feel they are a fad for the average person and at some point, a good portion of the people having them, especially the ones that have gone overboard on it are. When they are my age they are going to be able to play the drinking game, guess what the tattoo used to be! When I was a kid, we had a family friend that got the obligatory dancing girl on one arm and dagger on the other when he was in the service, he saw me looking at them and said whatever you do, don't get tattoos when you grow up! It stuck with me, now days it's just normal.

Haha, I had to laugh reading that. I have a black dot on the inside of my left forearm from when my lab partner stabbed me with a pen in grade 11 chemistry in response to me trash talking his beloved Philadelphia eagles and topping him for the chemistry award.

Jimbob

WKR
Have one on my back, would like to get more. Make sure it has meaning and choose location wisely.

I'm not 100% sure on location and meaning for my next so I wont till I know.

Cf8889

FNG
I'm pretty covered. Spent a good few years traveling around the US and western Canada getting tattooed.

I got my first one a little over 10years ago. Don't regret any of em. I say, go for it!

Cf8889

FNG
I also don't think meaning is really all that important. I have some that have zero meaning behind them... but great stories or are attached to good times in my life

Just being completely honest- Id say there’s way way more regret tied up in “meaningful” tattoos gotten as young men than innall the light hearted ones combined- simply because our values change as we mature- but those regrettable Greek letters on your ankle will always be nothing more than an small reminder of the glory days.

If you want tattoos get them I say.

Cf8889

FNG
Just being completely honest- Id say there’s way way more regret tied up in “meaningful” tattoos gotten as young men than innall the light hearted ones combined- simply because our values change as we mature- but those regrettable Greek letters on your ankle will always be nothing more than an small reminder of the glory days.

If you want tattoos get them I say.

One of my favorite tattoos is a sombrero. Spent a week in California with the crew and thought it'd be funny. Still love it.

Another is a snake and skull from Bob Roberts. Just flash he drew up years before I was born. No meaning. Just looks cool and reminds me of when I was heading to the US every couple months being young and dumb haha.

Over the years I've seen a lot of people push to hard to force a "meaning" on a tattoo they want. It usually gets a new "meaning" every few years.

Do whatever works for you. But there's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo cause you think it looks cool.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
11 at last count never have regretted one but each one had a lot of thought prior to the price tag and pain........for our 30 anniversary wedding band is her name in the rune alphabet with the date....dog tracks on calf of lost compadres, elk tracks on other calf, rmef logo on shoulder, elk antlers on inside of arms and open canvas of what is yet to be inscribed (y)P1011594.JPGP1012274-001.JPG

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
One of my favorite tattoos is a sombrero. Spent a week in California with the crew and thought it'd be funny. Still love it.

Another is a snake and skull from Bob Roberts. Just flash he drew up years before I was born. No meaning. Just looks cool and reminds me of when I was heading to the US every couple months being young and dumb haha.

Over the years I've seen a lot of people push to hard to force a "meaning" on a tattoo they want. It usually gets a new "meaning" every few years.

Do whatever works for you. But there's nothing wrong with getting a tattoo cause you think it looks cool.

My guess would be what you interpret as has meaning. I would say your sombrero has meaning because it reminds you of those times in California with your friends. Same with your skull and snake. I think what most people say when they say make sure it has meaning, is to make sure you think about what your getting and that it has value to you not that it has to be some big memorial or anything like that.