Taxidermist for Dall Sheep

dogman11

FNG
I'm thinking there are probably like a few world class taxidermist for Sheep and would like a list of some if you guys don't mind please.
Thanks
Chad

Check out Paul Pennie’s work at High Country Horns. Dewey Wildlife Studio is also a big name in the sheep world.

Wapiti1

WKR
A few I have used that know sheep: Jerry Huffaker (Huffaker Taxidermy) Abilene Texas, Dennis Harris (Artistry of Wildlife) Marlette Michigan. Monarch Taxidermy in Helena Montana, Wildlife Recapture Taxidermy (Mel Siefke) in Libby Montana

Jeremy

perdonc

FNG
I'm thinking there are probably like a few world class taxidermist for Sheep and would like a list of some if you guys don't mind please.
Thanks
Chad
Dewey Wildlife studios is in my opinion the best sheep taxidermist out there

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Dewey's stuff looks incredible!

Brush Country Studios outside of Houston is doing the new World Record Archery BH, if that tells you anything. They had an Alberta BH at Sheep Show a few years back that was exceptional taxidermy. It's within a day's drive for you, so very feasible.

They did our Tanzania taxidermy and I can't complain. I'll use them a lot going forward. They are near the Bush Airport and can load your sheep into a Penske and pick you up to drive it home. Logistically, it would be very easy to fly into Houston, stay the night and then drive a Penske back to Tennessee the next day.

Duwayne Dewey's work is topnotch-got to see it unclose at the WSF convention. Great people.
Jim Kelly's work is topnotch-he's a master and very OCD.
Ken/Marcus Zimmerman are topnotch. I was pleasantly surprised when I got my latest WSF issue- Unit 11 ram from last year they used as their latest "back page ad" for the Spring issue of Wild Sheep. They'll be doing my Desert ram from last year, also. I've had no regrets with their work whatsoever. Check their "Gallery" on their website, www. zimmermanwildlife.com
It's going to be a tough choice!
Best,
DWD

I've also got to get my $.02. I think Joe Zweifel at Wildlife Revolutions in Reno is one of the best in the sheep business right now as well. He's mounted two of my sheep, and a handful more for friends. I'm probably partial though, he did this ram I killed last year and I think it turned out awesome!

Lots of good taxi's listed in this post. Having to decide on a taxi for a sheep mount is a good problem to have!

Attachments

• 26506.jpeg
    26506.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 64

bates

WKR
my vote would be to Dewey. I have only attended one sheep show and they stood out to me.

Adam was a pleasure to do business with, and made the process super easy.

another plus is that wyo backcounty is near Dewey so you can get a replica done at the same time.

Kimbersig

WKR
I've also got to get my $.02. I think Joe Zweifel at Wildlife Revolutions in Reno is one of the best in the sheep business right now as well. He's mounted two of my sheep, and a handful more for friends. I'm probably partial though, he did this ram I killed last year and I think it turned out awesome!

Lots of good taxi's listed in this post. Having to decide on a taxi for a sheep mount is a good problem to have!
Joe has mounted two of mine too. hes a great guy and does great work!

I second Joe Zweifel. Hunted sheep with him last year, he is a great dude and I've heard nothing but good things on his taxidermy work.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I think Dewey is the best as many have said.

I take my stuff to Monarch (including a couple sheep and hopefully one more this summer) and they do a fine job as well.

I like to support my hometown businesses or I'd take my stuff to Dewey for sure.

ericF

WKR
$1100 seems to be the going rate for a standard Dall Shoulder mount locally or at the Wildlife Gallery. Does anybody have an idea how much of a premium you would pay to go with Dewey or one of the other top mentioned names for the same thing?

$1100 seems to be the going rate for a standard Dall Shoulder mount locally or at the Wildlife Gallery. Does anybody have an idea how much of a premium you would pay to go with Dewey or one of the other top mentioned names for the same thing?

I made some calls today and just got a response from Dewey about this very thing
Sheep:
  • Shoulder mount- $1250
  • Wall pedestal without habitat - $1500
  • Wall pedestal with appropriate habitat - $2175
  • Floor pedestal with appropriate habitat and standard hard wood trim base - $3550
  • Half -life wall hanging with appropriate habitat - $4700
  • Life-size on wall hanging appropriate rock is typically around $6500
  • Life-size on floor display either with habitat to floor or habitat combined with hardwood floor base is typically around $7400

(The listed price estimates are based on standard poses, standard appropriate habitats and standard hard wood bases.
Any extreme pose alterations example - supported on two legs, jumping, or extreme uphill or downhill, or anything needing extreme habitats and more complex hard wood bases
All would require additional custom costs and would need to be quoted once specific details are known. Dall sheep Beaching or whitening additional cost are $150-$400 depending on condition of skin.)