Taxidermy cost on a full body mtn lion

mlob1one

WKR
Going on my first cougar hunt in the next few weeks and want to prepare the wife for the cost for a full body mount. Nothing crazy or intricate, just maybe angled down so it can be mounted high on the wall.

Living in central Utah, what would a good mount run me? Not looking for top of the line or hack jobs. Would also be open to recommendations.

TIA.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Going on my first cougar hunt in the next few weeks and want to prepare the wife for the cost for a full body mount. Nothing crazy or intricate, just maybe angled down so it can be mounted high on the wall.

Living in central Utah, what would a good mount run me? Not looking for top of the line or hack jobs. Would also be open to recommendations.

TIA.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
My dad is in Manti and does great work on cats. His prices start at 2700 for just the mount with no habitat/base added. Let me know if you need his phone number and I'll PM it to you.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Around 3k for great taxidermists. I’d make sure I looked at pictures of 20+ cat mounts that they did before I handed a cat over.

Just be really careful in selecting a taxidermist. Most of the so called “good ones” are horrible with cats. Unless you don’t mind your mount to appear to be smiling or hanging it’s head out a car window at 65.

The anatomy of a mountain lion is missed by so many taxidermists it’s unreal.

Travis Roundy is one of the best in Utah.

elkguide

WKR
The difference in the cost of a good mount and a bad one often isn't that much and since you're going to look at it for many years to come you want to have a smile on your face remembering a great hunt rather than that sour feeling in the pit of your stomach because your beautiful cat got screwed up by a subpar taxidermist.

The only full mount that I have is a 400 pound black bear and after looking at the work of a lot of taxidermists around here, I paid $500 more than most of the others were charging but 7 years later, it was so worth it. Every time I walk past him, I just find myself smiling it is that good and all that I think about is what a beautiful bear and what a great hunt I had.

I agree cat mouts are great or poop.
You can always roll and freeze the hide.
Since you're in Utah go to the show. Look at the mounts guys bring.
Take pics of ones you like to give examples to the taxidermist you choose.

Don’t get in a hurry, don’t shop on price, and don’t worry about shipping it somewhere. Dale Manning just sent some of my stuff back and it’s exceptional. Great taxidermy looks amazing for a lifetime, but the ugly stuff never gets prettier. And typically there’s little price difference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks really good. Phil does great work. Cats are SUPER hard to mount correctly. There may only be a handful of taxidermists that is trust with a full body cat of any kind. Phil is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npm352

WKR
Lifelike Taxidermy in Salmon, ID. Ben and Brenda. $3500ish. Do not worry about price. A lifetime is a longtime to look at a crappy cat mount. There are A LOT of good taxidermists for ungulates. There are a tiny handful of guys who can make a lion look right. Here is mine and another shot over my hounds done by Ben.

Attachments

• 20190926_191547.jpg
    20190926_191547.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 173
  • 15801821288956272535998502895800.jpg
    15801821288956272535998502895800.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 171
Lifelike Taxidermy in Salmon, ID. Ben and Brenda. $3500ish. Do not worry about price. A lifetime is a longtime to look at a crappy cat mount. There are A LOT of good taxidermists for ungulates. There are a tiny handful of guys who can make a lion look right. Here is mine and another shot over my hounds done by Ben.

This is where I’ll take mine. Some other good ones on here.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Phile Soucy has a list on his page, I think his full mounts start at $5400 before any habitat which is usually 50% of the price of the mount again. The work is beautiful. I am in the same stages as you, got a cat 2 weeks ago, now just humming and hawing on which way to go.
Good luck!!