Taxidermy hair brushing

Dman86

FNG
I’m hoping this is the correct place for this thread. I just moved and had my elk mount in storage for 5 weeks. After unwrapping him there are some spots with “bed head”. What products are safe to “wet” the fur down and brush it back into place? I could be over thinking this but I am nervous to just spray water and brush it back.
fd53dbbadc8cb6328944fa0e89a31e64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I’ve used conditioner and hair gel brushed in lightly. There’s a pro way to do it called Pro 1 Hide paste but I’ve only read about using it haven’t done it.

My taxi told me the conditioner method, rub it in a a brush it out, Google it for more exact instructions if you like

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
You can dampen a rag with naphtha or mineral spirits and wipe down your mounts and then brush lightly with a wire brush. I know it sounds brutal but it works well.

Once per year use a shop vac to clean the dust out of the hair on your mounts, then wipe them down and brush them like I described above. You can even lightly hit the nose with some clear lacquer in a rattle can. Your taxidermy will look as good as new.

OP
Dman86

Dman86

FNG
Thanks for the replies guys. When I got up this morning the humidity from the rainy day outside must have moisturized the hair or hide bc it was laying down like new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk