Taxidermy Mounts and End of Life

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I have recently had a friend of a friend that has passed away. Has a beautiful trophy room. 340 elk, many African mounts including pedestal sable and kudu. His step son has no interest and wants them gone. Makes me wonder about my own situation in future. Meanwhile any suggestions

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
There are companies that will come in and take them all and sell them at a taxidermy auction for yall. They charge something like 50% but what else you gonna do try to sell them private.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have thought about that myself. I'm the only one who cares about the stuff i've shot. No sentiment to anyone else really.

OP

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
There are companies that will come in and take them all and sell them at a taxidermy auction for yall. They charge something like 50% but what else you gonna do try to sell them private.
We have searched but do not find such companies. Any names or contact info would be appreciated

Have you checked your local taxidermists? If they are not interested, they might point you in the right direction. Seems a shame they are heading to the dump like the ones I lost in Katrina and were ruined.

go_deep

WKR
I stopped doing anything but euro mounta on everything I've killed for this exact reason.
At a buddys house one day looking at an honest $30k on the wall of taxidermy, and he says, well it'll all end up in the dump someday because who's going to have room in their house for all this stuff after I die.
I thought, I could just take an money I put in to taxidermist work and put out towards hunting more!

ODB

WKR
I've known several PH's over my life - one spent more than 50 years hunting in Kenya and beyond. His sole 'trophy' was an old buffalo skull that hung outside his front door. He thought the menageries were gauche.

Other than a puku or maybe a buffalo euro mount...we have museums...

I;d call cabelas.,..

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I've started selling my shoulder mounts off. I put mine on Craigslist and had some interest. I did have a broker in L.A. area want to buy the entire lot of them at $200 each. Luckily I'm not hurting for money or space right now (I have them in a storage container next to my house). I'm going Euro from here on out as well. Even if I get my cape buffalo in May, I'll take lots of great pictures and do a Euro. Ill never sell my 202 inch whitetail.

I don’t have a lot of mounts. But I think they are neat. I guess by the time I die democrats will have their way and hunting will no longer be allowed. So maybe they will be worth a lot of money for my kids to sell lol

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I would have to think someone would want individual trophies for nostalgia in the right environment. There has to be people who would want a 340 bull hung in their log cabin out west that doesn’t hunt but also isn’t offended by it.

Last edited:
My hometown community College has a small museum from a guys trophies from all over the world. Really cool and my boys love seeing it when we visit.
This fall my wife sold one of the 6pt euro elk heads from the garage pile. I was pissed for a couple days but forgot about it until reading this thread.
I can see why there are guys who leave the head at the kill site.

Call your state high school athletic association & ask them if any of the schools would like them donated to place in their buildings. You might get a tax deduction out of it as well. Some of them would really appreciate it. My kids' school mascot is an elk & it's pretty cool to see it when you walk in the lobby

I'm sure the state wildlife commission would be able to find a good home for them in some of the welcome centers at state parks, etc.

Just be careful if you want to sell them it's illegal in several states

Interesting thread as it applies to all our surviving family.

I have a close friend who does estate sales and he told me unless it’s of interest ( score, nontypical, hard to get, perfect taxidermy, etc) the values are poor at best.

His advice is to find friends now while you are alive that would want them for sentimental reasons and put a tag on back of the mount that it goes to: John Doe

He said average mounts go for cents on the dollar or nothing so be realistic as not many hunters are going to buy someone else’s trophy.

willy

FNG
I hope my mounts don't end up in the trash however I/we(wife) really don't care. We love the memories they bring up, the stories, the people they involved, and all that surrounds the hunts for them. They are art and our treasures. When my wife and I have passed, we will no longer have anymore worries or aspirations.

We have no kids and we aren't taking our money with us.

My dad has several mounts that I will keep and put on our walls when he passes and they will bring smiles and memories rushing back to me/us.

People collect other stuff that I see no value in but they think the world of. Some of those "treasures" will end up in a landfill as well. To each their own.

Good luck on your next hunt.