Taxidermy recommendations Southern NM.

FLAK

WKR
I have a Coues hunt coming up in Dec. in unit 27
and later my son and I have Javelina tags.
Anybody recommend a good taxidermist in Southern NM?
Trying to stay out o trouble transporting Coues skulls.

88man

FNG
Justin Medina
Nm Arrowhead Outfitters & Taxidermy
He has done some elk for my friends and he did a great job

I have been a full time taxidermist for 43 years. Here my recommendation. #1 Always take your trophies back to your Taxidermist in your home state. #2 Learn how to properly cape, turn lips ,nose, and ears. #3 Use the proper knife, stone, and steel to complete the job correctly. #4 understand CWD Laws. Taking care of the animals you kill is your responsibility, and it allows the rest of us to keep our right to hunt. Please, DO NOT F.... this up for the rest of us.

jspradley

WKR
I dropped my muley off for a euro at Garcia's Taxidemy in Alamogordo, I don't have mine back yet but his work in his shop was incredible. Super nice and helpful guy too.

I'm not seeing where Unit 27 is a CWD unit in NM, just 19, 28, and 34

OP
F

FLAK

WKR
I may just skull cap/cape it and bring it home.
I've caped a few but never "turned the ears".
I've always let the taxidermy man handle that.
Does that just mean skinning the back side of the ear?

OP
F

FLAK

WKR
I dropped my muley off for a euro at Garcia's Taxidemy in Alamogordo, I don't have mine back yet but his work in his shop was incredible. Super nice and helpful guy too.

I'm not seeing where Unit 27 is a CWD unit in NM, just 19, 28, and 34

Hey, looks like your right about unit 27, thanks for the info!!!
No worries.

OP
F

FLAK

WKR
It actually looks like my home state (AL) has restricted deer carcass movement from ALL other states. Can bring back boned out meat only, no raw capes or skulls. Must be skull capped and all brain matter cleaned out. Even the roots of teeth are a no-no. So I cant bring one to my Taxi here, it would have to be mounted before bringing it into the state.

Cape, cap it, and bring home to a local taxi. If a NM taxi does it for you, they will use the skull plate anyway, if CWD is an issue, then they'll cut the horns off below the base and pin it.

Cerebral tissue is not the only source to CWD prions, so...