Taxidermy repair

willidru

WKR
So playing ball in the house doesn’t mix with wall mounted geese. The boys knocked down their Spec mount. Is there an easy fix or ...

The guy who did it said he’d have to take a look at it but he’s about a 5 hour drive. BEDD8A1B-9D01-44F6-BF85-A6C5068F8D4F.jpeg5C5CB71A-2D26-4892-90C3-E14B83965788.jpeg367B7187-EF62-4D82-8087-8FB64BA9C2D3.jpeg

stonewall

WKR
did the tail come completely off? I've fixed some before that way using bondo and wire pins to repair...the feathers usually cover the seam. there's a rigid foam body in there. most likely there was a tail notch cut out (for the tail feathers) - this would be the "rough area" of the foam that bondo can adhere to. the wire (buried under feathers) will help to just hold in place.

the leg. is that bent out from original position? it can probably be bent back and will likely go back in place. though not perfect. the part right above the tarsus...I think (and this is easier that fresher it is) could be sewn back together. rehydrate the skin with q-tips or papertowels. you might have to let wet papertowl sit there a while to make skin plyable. once it's wet enough it can probably be sewn back together...i'd use white thread or clear quilting thread (very fine and hard to see). it's easier with forceps. if feathers get wet, you can dry them with a hair drier ON COLD setting. to speed up the drying, you could displace the water with laquer thinner and then blow dry...but that's not necessary

you can PM me and I can facetime you if you want

OP
willidru

willidru

WKR
Thanks for the info. Tail did not come off all the way.

And thanks for the FaceTime offer. Let me work on getting the wife on board for the sewing part.