Taxidermy: use local or ship it back home?

Cmb213

FNG
I'm getting all of my ducks in a row for a moose hunt in September up in Newfoundland. I've never used a taxidermist before (never had anything worth mounting) so whats your thoughts? Is it better to use someone local to where ill be hunting? Or would you rather have the cape and skull shipped to someone close to home? I don't have a taxidermist I've ever used so I feel like I don't have a dog in this fight.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I have a very good taxidermist close to home. Because of that, I’ve always brought my capes back to him to mount. Research your local guys, stop into the shops, and check out their work. If everyone by you is junk, and it’s easier to have it done locally to the hunt, leave it there.

I can’t speak on moose or Newfoundland. But I shot a turkey in California this year and the taxidermists there I talked to wanted around $1500. The price here in Oklahoma is around $500. From what I could tell there was no higher quality in work from the CA guys. My bird got stuffed in a box and shipped home.

I would damn sure talked to your local guys first, and call some Newfoundland guys to get a idea on prices.

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
See what way is cheaper to get home, horns and cape, or a mount in a crate

WCB

WKR
I would get the hide and horns shipped and get it done "local"...or at least whoever is decently close but good. Unless you can really research the taxidermist there. Just going buy cost is a really good way to get a crap mount. But....
It all could depend to on who mush you appreciate good taxidermy...Some guys will bring it to whoever is cheapest and quickest and get a crap mount but they saved money and really just wanted horns with a hide on the wall. I personally will pay a heck of a lot more for a good mount.

The outfitter should be able to give you a reasonable idea on cost and process. I have had stuff shipped back from Africa and New Zealand...no issues or real hassle. Maybe include what state you are from and guys can give you recommendations on local taxidermist.

OP
Cmb213

Cmb213

FNG
Sorry should have added some more details. I'm located in southern Connecticut, so anything in Southern New England area is easy driving distance for me.

Trial153

WKR
If your driving from CT, to NF which I cant see why you wouldn't considering how close it is and easy it would make the logistics of getting the meat and rack home....I cant see any reason to even entertain shipping from NF

jt4

WKR
There's another thread of someone who apparently paid $6k for a bear and a moose to have mounted and shipped back to him from NL. If that's true it may make your decision a lot easier.

OP
Cmb213

Cmb213

FNG
I'll be flying there and back, shipping whatever goodies we get back. A combination of my father not wanting to sit in a truck for 20 something hours, and trying to fit hopefully 3 moose (the trip is my father, my brother, and myself) in my elderly pickup doesn't outweigh the conviencne of a short flight using airline miles already built up. In 2019 my father got a nice cow and we flew both ways and shipped the meat. All in all not a bad experience

Jimss

WKR
I've brought back MANY dall sheep, mtn goats, and salmon/halibut from Alaska on the airlines. Many of these were life-sized skins. It always helps to have them frozen but in a crunch ice packs work well. It's generally around $50 to $60 each for additional baggage unless they are over sized or over weight. Check out your airlines on how much they charge and how many items they allow with your ticket.

On my last Alaska trip I brought home 350 lbs worth of gear, capes, and meat. It's a lot of work in the airport but I think it's worth having it come with you on the airlines. It's always re-assuring having a local taxiderist in your area that you trust do quality work! There are so many hassles dealing with out of state (or country) taxidermists!