TC barrels and full bore bullets

I have a TC Omega I would like to set up to be CO legal. I've read a few negative reports on the use of all copper full bore bullets being loaded into TC barrels that have the QLA. I'm assuming the QLA in the inch of barrel at the muzzle that is oversized with no rifling to aid in loading sabots? Is it correct that those bullets typically will not shoot well out of TC rifles?

If that's the case, what is my best option for CO legal bullets for elk? I typically shoot blackhorn and barnes TMZ out of this rifle if that matters.

ENCORE

WKR
Some rifles with the QLA shoot excellent bullet to bore, others may not. Many have the QLA cut off and recrown the barrel.
Fury bullets are excellent hunting bullets.

NBChance

FNG
I have a TC Omega with QLA barrel and have recently been working up a load with the Thor 300gr, one size fits all bullet. Using either 130gr of 777, or 120gr of Blackhorn 209, these bullet's shoot fantastic out of my gun. I'm set-up with a Williams peep and was keeping all shots pretty much touching at 50 yds. Moved my target out to 100 and first two shots were touching again. I think this load can shoot better than I can with open sights. My Omega also shoots the Barnes 290gr TMZ extremely well. I had it set-up with a scope for mule deer in Utah a few years ago and had it shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yds. Took a really nice 180 class buck at 218 yds and the terminal performance of the TMZ was incredible. Took a slightly quartering toward shot, entered left shoulder, exited behind right shoulder, huge exit and buck went down pretty much instantly. I'm banking on the Thor to have similar terminal performance.

Wapiti1

WKR
You have to try full bore and see in your particular TC rifle. The QLA isn't always concentric or even inline with the bore. Sabots are fine since the sabot and bullet decouple the instant it leaves the rifling. Full bore bullets can drag on the QLA and get pushed around a bit. It doesn't matter if it is a Thor, Fury or cast lead full bore. Either it will shoot full bore or it won't, IME.

I would say you have a better than 50/50 chance it will shoot full bore fine. If it doesn't, have the QLA section cut off and recrown the barrel.

Jeremy

Del Gue

FNG
Rather than cutting off the end of your barrel, try putting a sub base under your conical/bullet.
It usually does the trick.

Billdoe

FNG
I run a TC Triumph. No issues with Thor bullets. 300 gr. Group good to 100. Havnt shot much past that.