TC Encore Pro Hunter .50 cal questions

CMF

WKR
We lucked up and drew a youth muzzleloader elk hunt in New Mexico this coming October.

I already have a TC Encore .243 that one of my kids hunts deer with so I'm looking to add the .50 cal barrel for this and future muzzleloader hunts. Also, my fil has one we have used and it shoots pretty good and I'm familiar with it, but he has not spent a lot of time trying different loads, etc. since we're typically hunting deer at 100yds.

1. For those with this exact barrel, what load combinations(for elk) have you found producing the best results?

2. What kind of range can I expect to get out of this setup? (hasn't really been a concern hunting deer in hardwoods)

3. Scope - Any recommended scopes? Being a youth hunt should I consider something with the capability to dial-up, so my son(or wife on later hunts) can just put the crosshair on and not worry about any drop or holdover? (assuming with practice his range is extended. and we have time to range find, etc.)

4. I already have the Choate adjustable stock on the gun since the wife and 8-yo old both hunt with the .243, but it doesn't have any recoil pad. Does anyone know if there is one that will fit this stock or recommend a better adjustable stock with recoil pad? My 11-yo that has this hunt shoots a 270 no problem, but I'm assuming this .50 is going to kick worse.

5. Has anyone ever machined a muzzle brake on this or another barrel, is it worth it? I saw a video of one that had the sides ported to blow the smoke to the side vs the top obstructing view and the bottom blowing up dirt.

Thanks for any help!

I have an TC Pro Hunter FX muzzleloader, so it might not be completely apples to apples since it’s not convertible to centerfire. I’m getting really good accuracy with 300gr TC Shockwave. However, I’m not sure I’d shoot at any angle other than broadside on an elk. A buddy used the same bullet and got very little blood trail and the bullet didn’t make it to the off side at 75 yards. It was a cow and it went about 200 yards into the woods. He wasn’t entirely impressed. That’s a sample size of one though. Another buddy used a 250gr Barnes T-EZ on a bull at 100 yards and it folded up within 20 yards. Again, size of one.

I am shooting 100gr of BH209 (by volume) and recoil is fairly manageable compared to a 30-06. I’m going to try the Barnes T-EZ this fall because the Shockwave has me a little spooked.

ENCORE

WKR
My 2¢.............. First, I haven't hunted out west but, I've owned and shot numerous Encore and Pro Hunter rifles since they became available.

For game the size of elk, I'd look for a bullet like the 290gr Barnes TEZ or if it loaded to hard, the 290gr TEZ. Excellent bullets. However they are not LONG range bullets, as they need a minimum of +/-1,200fps to expand properly. Their BC isn't very high which adds to their limited range.... FROM PRODUCTION RIFLES. With a maximum charge of BH or T7, 250yds IMO would be its limit, still retaining approximately 1460fps and maintaining around 1375 fpe. Expected muzzle velocity with a maximum charge of BH209 would run on average +/-2070fps.
There are bullets with higher BC's that would provide an increased edge in range from production rifles, but one still has to understand the bullet's ability to expand at distance at production muzzleloader velocities.

Scopes........ (Chevy, Ford ) Purchase quality first. Nothing worse than preparing for a hunt and just prior, have a scope take a dump. Its worth it to spend a little more on middle of the class scopes than on budget scopes of any brand. Vortex, Leupold, Burris and other well known manufacturers have good scopes.

Muzzle brakes............. I can assure you this, you WILL wear hearing protection, which is the one down side to muzzle brakes. They are LOUD. As you mentioned, a tactical brake (side exit) is what I prefer over radial.
Here's a couple suggestions.......... If you find a barrel and want to add a brake, I'd contact Levi Reed at LR Customs. IMO you'd have to have the QLA cut off, then the barrel re-crowned before it would be threaded for a brake.
Next, if you don't plan on hunting states such as CO, where they have a .50cal minimum projectile for large game, you could contact Luke at Arrowheadrifles and purchase a custom 45cal barrel with a brake. This gets a little more complicated as you would need a bullet sizer for shooting bullet to bore bullets. However, heavier charges of BH than production barrels can be used and also smokeless propellant. The custom barrels are rated for smokeless.

Good luck. I can tell you this too......... Do not wait to purchase supplies as they are extremely limited. BH209 is extremely hard to find at the present. It is starting to show, but if you don't cart it immediately, before you can check out in many cases, it'll no longer be in stock.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Thanks for the replies!
To update,
I've ordered a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS ZL
I picked up some
  • Hornady 300gr. SST sabots
  • Barnes 290gr. T-EZ
  • Thor bullets sizing kit
and
  • Pyrodex pellets
  • 1 container of BH209(found locally, only one on the shelf)
I haven't found any primers yet.

I picked up the barrel I was looking at and got an extra wood stock to go with it. I took the recoil pad off the wood stock and screwed it to the Choate adjustable stock.

I heard more about the arrowhead muzzleloaders on some podcast and might look into them for future years, but not going to be able to swing it this year.

Probably just wait on the muzzle break or get it on a future one

Just need some primers and time to shoot now....

Thanks for the replies!
To update,
I've ordered a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS ZL
I picked up some
  • Hornady 300gr. SST sabots
  • Barnes 290gr. T-EZ
  • Thor bullets sizing kit
and
  • Pyrodex pellets
  • 1 container of BH209(found locally, only one on the shelf)
I haven't found any primers yet.

I picked up the barrel I was looking at and got an extra wood stock to go with it. I took the recoil pad off the wood stock and screwed it to the Choate adjustable stock.

I heard more about the arrowhead muzzleloaders on some podcast and might look into them for future years, but not going to be able to swing it this year.

Probably just wait on the muzzle break or get it on a future one

Just need some primers and time to shoot now....

Where are you located?