TC triumph bone collector load and general muzzleloader accessories questions

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I'll try to make this as succinct as possible.

I'll likely be hunting mule deer this fall in CO(I have applied for a hunt that was undersubscribed last year), so trying to get my muzz set up for CO. I have a TC triumph bone collector. I bought it for hunting in the midwest where I can use sabots. Do you guys have recommendations on bullets for this gun that comply with CO regs? From what I read it doesn't do well with conicals, so its not the ideal muzz for CO, but I can't afford to buy another one right now. I'll be using BH 209 powder with a peep setup. Suggested bullets? Powerbelts seem to have mixed reviews. I read that the heavier conicals do better out of the faster twist rate(1:28 on my gun), that are designed for sabots but nothing definitive there either it seems. If i use a pure conical do i need anything between the powder and bullet? Anything else I may be missing?

What about accessories? I have only used the powder pellets so I'll need a powder measure, range flask, field flask, and probably some speed loaders. I figure you guys can save me some headaches by just recommending the correct accessories the first time.

I can spend plenty of time at the range here testing and figuring out a load that works, but I am hoping to save some money by being able to avoid some bullet or accessory purchases that ultimately won't work in the end.

I appreciate any help in advance.

DeanLaker

FNG
My CO load development wound up with BH 209 @ 110 grains, Hornady FPB 350 grain bullet and Federal 209A primers. It was deadly accurate @ 65 yards on elk. I continued to use the load on our MN whitetails and shot my Buck this fall @ 125 yds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DeanLaker

FNG
Range field flask, brass powder gauge and multiple powder tubes works great for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
You might try some Thor bullets. They shot great out of my T/C Omega. That's what I still use in my Knight U-Lite.

Get a powder measure for use at the range along with a cheap screw on funnel lid that screws right on your jug of powder. I don't carry a powder flask or a powder measure in the field. Just a few speed loaders.

Last edited:

Rope14u

Lil-Rokslider
I had fairly good luck with 295 powerbelts and 100 grains of triple 7 fff in my Omega. Used a Williams peep. Carried a half dozen speedloaders backpacking. Figured if I missed that many times I deserved a walk to the truck. Throw a few patches and a jag in a ziplock and you're good to go. Robby Denny has a great article in the muzzleloading section about this very topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I had fairly good luck with 295 powerbelts and 100 grains of triple 7 fff in my Omega. Used a Williams peep. Carried a half dozen speedloaders backpacking. Figured if I missed that many times I deserved a walk to the truck. Throw a few patches and a jag in a ziplock and you're good to go. Robby Denny has a great article in the muzzleloading section about this very topic.

Thanks guys. I've read Robby and Jim Carr's blog posts on setting up a muzzleloader already, but just hoping for some info more specific to my gun. I've got the sizing pack of Thor bullets already, so I'll see which one fits best and give some of those a go. I'll also try the specific powerbelt listed by Rope.

Rope14u

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry. Should have mentioned they were the aerotips. Also had some success with the 245's.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'll try to make this as succinct as possible.

I'll likely be hunting mule deer this fall in CO(I have applied for a hunt that was undersubscribed last year), so trying to get my muzz set up for CO. I have a TC triumph bone collector. I bought it for hunting in the midwest where I can use sabots. Do you guys have recommendations on bullets for this gun that comply with CO regs? From what I read it doesn't do well with conicals, so its not the ideal muzz for CO, but I can't afford to buy another one right now. I'll be using BH 209 powder with a peep setup. Suggested bullets? Powerbelts seem to have mixed reviews. I read that the heavier conicals do better out of the faster twist rate(1:28 on my gun), that are designed for sabots but nothing definitive there either it seems. If i use a pure conical do i need anything between the powder and bullet? Anything else I may be missing?

What about accessories? I have only used the powder pellets so I'll need a powder measure, range flask, field flask, and probably some speed loaders. I figure you guys can save me some headaches by just recommending the correct accessories the first time.

I can spend plenty of time at the range here testing and figuring out a load that works, but I am hoping to save some money by being able to avoid some bullet or accessory purchases that ultimately won't work in the end.

I appreciate any help in advance.
I use 70 gr by weight and pre fill several tubes at home before heading out. I use Barnes 290 grain expander T-EZ with very good results. I use the Nikon BDC scope with their spot on software for bullet drop. The muzzle velocity I get is 1845 fps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't know how I didn't see it when it was originally posted. Probably too late for the OP, but I'll post for future reference.

I have been using this gun for years here in CO; Same load as Rope14u. 100gr of Triple 7 FFF with 295gr green aerotip powerbelts. I have killed multiple elk between 40 and 135 yards; drop them in under 30 yards every time (120yd shot this year, dropped in 20 yards). The gun will support up to 150gr loads but I highly recommend not going that high with the powerbelts as someone I hunt with used to do that and I think it was deforming the soft bullet in the barrel as he was having problems with misses and wounded animals.

No need for a field flask. The red T/C 4-in-1 speedloaders are awesome! I always carry 2 in my pocket and another 2 in my pack. One problem I've been having the last couple years that I will warn about; make sure your primer pocket is clean before the season. I have been having problems with the 209s getting stuck post-shot in the field. Happened after my elk was dead this year, but had I needed to make another follow up shot I would've had a hard time.