Teaching a cross dominant shooter.

Kotaman

WKR
Easy for them to switch. I switched with a firearm at age 12 and a bow soon after. (I’m left handed but right eye dominant). I couldn’t hit a thing with a shotgun or bow. One afternoon of shooting and it was over. Easy to make the change now and shooting and enjoyment will improve 10 fold.

zacattack

WKR
I didn’t know I was cross eye dominant for 30+ years. Teach them to shoot left handed. I switched and transitioned quickly and even got to retrain away some bad habits In my form from shooting right handed.

I think it is important to be able to shoot with both eyes open...for rifle, shotgun and pistol.
Better field of view and awareness of what is happening down field.

I would suggest teaching them to shoot left handed. Long term this will be better for them.

I started shooting LH a couple years ago with 10% of my rounds (im RH and RE dominant). Just to get better support side and it wasnt too bad. Hit percentage came up to roughly 90-95% of RH shots. But I still need to close my right eye when i shoot left handed. I usually keep them both open until just before I break the shot...seems to work fine.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I’m one of the few....I just shut my left eye when I shoot. Never had any issues. I’ve seen this question come up in many other forums and it’s usually 50/50 on switch or close the left eye. I won’t say I’ve never missed a shot, but I will say that I’ve never missed because I close my left eye.