Team Hunting Elk

TheCougar

WKR
Sometimes we will have up to 4 guys in hunting camp. But we will hunt in pairs since everyone has a tag. Normally I’m either alone or with one other guy.

Team of 3 - hunting partner and I mostly stick together alternating caller and shooter. His old man was basically a second dad to me growing up, he can't handle the hills anymore but we camp where he can make it to and he tends to the pack goats for a week in the mountains.

ChrisAU

WKR
Seems like 11 is the perfect number. Cover a tremendous amount of area. 1 shooter and 10 spotters. Preferably all can be compensated with Busch Light.

tenor.gif

2, just my Dad and myself. Once he gets to the point he doesn't want to or can't go anymore, then I will be solo.

Sled

WKR
An army of one. Well I'm not sure what that actually means so to be clear, I hunt by myself. Decisions on where to hunt are made with that in mind. In steep terrain I'm rarely more than 3 miles from the truck.

I laugh when I see the circus out there looking for one bull.

fishslap

WKR
I hunt solo. Last time I hunted second season elk OTC (over 10 years ago) there was a group of TWENTY SEVEN guys from Pennsylvania in one giant camp. They were hunting the same big area and had a guy or two in every single meadow, point, and ridge line in the area. I haven’t hunted OTC rifle since.

Moneyball

WKR
We have a group of 7 that hunt together every year, but we won’t hunt an area in a group larger than three. Shooter and two callers. Sometimes we go in pairs depending on the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
I hunt solo. Last time I hunted second season elk OTC (over 10 years ago) there was a group of TWENTY SEVEN guys from Pennsylvania in one giant camp. They were hunting the same big area and had a guy or two in every single meadow, point, and ridge line in the area. I haven’t hunted OTC rifle since.
Hahaha, yea... my one otc rifle experience here in CO went along the lines of putting the herd to bed before dark, hiking in from the completely opposite side of the mountain in the dark the next morning.... had the wind correct and everything and then having my hunt blown by a guy on a quad coming up the mountain with the wind at his back, i watched the elk run out of the valley and my life.... i walked past him back down the mountain within 50ft and he never even noticed me there, even in my blaze orange. The first and last rifle otc excursion for me in CO.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind up to 4 in camp. I'll either hunt with one other person or solo.. teaming up for pack out is when having friends counts.. The one thing I refuse to do is let more than 1 person ride with me in the truck. And that person has to be ok with relocating at the drop of a hat.. I've hunted in the past with guys who were more worried about goin camping than hunting.