Team Hunting Elk

WKR
Tags are hard to come by in AZ so its normally three or four other guys just coming along to get the experience.

Gapmaster

WKR
Was 2 forever... then 1. Back to 2 last year with new partner. Trying 3 this year. New experience with extra packer in camp. I like to solo, no one to argue with or point the finger at.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin likes to go along and watch then helps pack if I kill. He works in a Lab and rarely works out though so most of the time its like I'm hunting alone. I think it helps because waiting on him makes me slow down.

hunt1up

WKR
We’re gonna have 8 guys in camp this year. Only two of us NRs have the tag for AZ. Since drawing an AZ tag is tough, our AZ friends generally bring a big comfy camp and they’ll come and go based on their schedules.

Only 3-4 of us will be hunting though. 1-2 callers, 2 shooters.

wyosam

WKR
Me and my thoughts. For the most part, we agree on things, so that works out well. We’ve been an elk hunting team for a looooong time. Only real downside is my thoughts suck at packing quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
2 as long as you can put your life in your hunting buddies hands...I just don’t know anyone I am confident with such responsibility. Seems like anytime there is a third wheel jist never works out.

ShakeDown

WKR
I have three brothers. Usually 2-4 of us in camp, plus our old man. Split into pairs usually on the mtn, three tops.

If there are 3 with tags, is it better to have 2 callers and 1 shooter or 2 shooters and 1 caller? Talking specifically for archery.

There are two of us go up together, we generally split up to cover more area. My hunting partner chooses to hunt independently and does not want to hunt as a working team. Met a local who want to team up with me this year if he does not tag out before I get there.

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
3 of us go. We all hunt alone. Somebody gets one down well go and call if wanted.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Spike elk

WKR
1-2-3. Start of early in a tree stand. When the rut gets going I hit the ground with a good friend as well as my brother. My buddy got me started into archery elk 16 or so years ago as well as my brother a bit later on. We have good luck with herd talk with two guys calling and whoever is closest to the action setting up. Sometimes one of those two callers get the shot when something comes in the backdoor. We do not have a set shooter, really just depends on where we are at when we have an encounter. Always nice when a tag gets filled and there is a set caller.

3-5

Most of us do our own thing. I will hike the entire mountain and others like an easy journey. We know the area quite well.

The work begins when someone knocks one down.

PA 5-0

WKR
Lone Wolf McQuade this Sept. All my buddies hunt, but lack the commitment level it takes to pull off real backpack hunts. Be in Craig the 19th if anyone wants a free beer.

2. Used to be my father. His age and PTSD keep him out of the woods these days. Now its my daughter.
Soon we will be three once my son can learn to be quite for more than 10 seconds!
Only family in the elk honey holes.

CMF

WKR
Hunted with the wife last year. Going back this year with a buddy and wife. Probably hunt together mostly unless we're not finding anything. I figure two shooters and a caller(wife) is better than splitting up, but we'll see.