Teanaway Report

HDwild

WKR
Just finished up a bow hunt in the Teanaway and thought I'd start a little discussion to see if anyone has had better luck in there.

We only saw 1 elk and it was a small-framed 6x6 that was plenty talkative on day 1. We called him down into a thick draw and got him nice and pissed. FYI it's a spike or antlerless only unit unless you draw a bull tag so we were just playing with him hoping to see if he had some cows or spikes hanging with him.

Aside from that bull we heard 1 or 2 more bulls further north that weren't reachable from our chosen drainage. We also saw almost zero sign and we covered about 16 (brutal) miles. We heard the wolves at night pretty near the area we found that bull and day 2 was SILENT. I covered as much ground as possible and called every now and then and heard nothing. The mountain was covered in fresh wolf tracks and they had even crossed my path at some point during the day.

Also, I was surprised to see so few hunters, especially since it's one of the only antlerless units in the state. We only saw maybe 15 other hunters. But what we didn't anticipate was the people up there riding dirt bikes. 2 strokes were screaming up the trails all day long. 4 different dudes ripped past us at 20 yards while we were talking with the bull. No wave, no "sorry I didn't know people hunt up here", nothing.

Anybody see anything different or have any success in the unit?

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
Surprisingly, that bull didn't seem to mind too much. When the bikes passed, we waited about 20 minutes and moved away from the trail and ripped another bugle and he hadn't moved.

ridgefire

WKR
Were you on Cle Elum Ridge or Teanaway Ridge? My brother drew a bull tag in there a couple years ago and it was a awesome hunt with huge bulls and tons of bugling.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I had a late muley buck archery tag (2nd draw choice) in Teanaway back in 2018.
Thanksgiving day snow, cold and snowed nightly for 5 of the 11 days I was there.
conditions were perfect. Passed 2 decent bucks (2x3. 3x3) in first 2 days. Small racks, young bucks too.
Saw lots elk up Teanaway valley and west of 97, but my elk tag was filled earlier in the season high on Teanaway ridge.

THEN THE WOLVES MOVED IN MY AREA!
Howling at night, late afternoons. Spotted 1-black & 1 gray wolves (Iron Creek) and 2-gray colored wolves (Dickey creek) in my last 9 days.
The elk and deer disappeared. Tracked a few major deer trails in the snow. They were getting out of Wolf Dodge for sure. Twice followed major tracked up deer trails that crossed Hwy 97 over into the 328 unit. The deer in Teanaway valley moved into the private ranchlands.

I wont ever apply for a draw tag in the Teanaway unit again.

dye7barrel

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Many parts of this unit are open to other types of recreation such as dirt bikes. In those areas elk are conditioned to the noise and activity.

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
I had a late muley buck archery tag (2nd draw choice) in Teanaway back in 2018.
Thanksgiving day snow, cold and snowed nightly for 5 of the 11 days I was there.
conditions were perfect. Passed 2 decent bucks (2x3. 3x3) in first 2 days. Small racks, young bucks too.
Saw lots elk up Teanaway valley and west of 97, but my elk tag was filled earlier in the season high on Teanaway ridge.

THEN THE WOLVES MOVED IN MY AREA!
Howling at night, late afternoons. Spotted 1-black & 1 gray wolves (Iron Creek) and 2-gray colored wolves (Dickey creek) in my last 9 days.
The elk and deer disappeared. Tracked a few major deer trails in the snow. They were getting out of Wolf Dodge for sure. Twice followed major tracked up deer trails that crossed Hwy 97 over into the 328 unit. The deer in Teanaway valley moved into the private ranchlands.

I wont ever apply for a draw tag in the Teanaway unit again.

Don't get me wrong I love wolves, they're amazing, fascinating animals but just like anything else they need to be managed. Our state is not doing that.

One thing that was strange to me was that just above the most concentrated part of the wolf tracks I ran into a group of 9 bucks that were not on edge at all. They let me walk right by at 84 yards and just watched me.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
and I'll admit. Against the fresh, white snowy background, the wolves I spotted were quite beautiful.

WDFW officers were talking to me couple days later, Dickey Creek gated road. Asking about wolves. Told me a farm down the road had trouble with wolves and their llamas. Next day, helicopter was flying over my hunt area, back and forth, strategically covering ground.

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
Unfortunately, WDFW has their hands tied and likely did nothing to solve that problem. At most they may have relocated the “problem wolf”. Just like the Huckleberry pack that went from 2 males (after “problem wolves” were relocated) to becoming a full pack again.

Ono

FNG
I neither agree nor disagree. I really don't care one way or the other. Just stating the facts bro. (I purchased a wolf tag last year).

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
Nice, Idaho tag? I’m just discussing further, not saying whether it’s right or wrong. I don’t know enough about the issue to have an educated opinion.