Teaser Kifaru HPG Stryker XL

OP
SHTF

SHTF

How did you tie in the top lashing of the kifaru pack to the frame. Specifically where it has black webbing and tan webbing through the buckle. Isnt that section a full loop on the stryker?

I only ask because I am currently attaching and configuring my stryker to an eberlestock carrier frame.
Hi Pfern,

I used Repair tension lock buckles where I have the Load lifter straps attached. You can see them here. https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Moun...ement+backpack+buckles&qid=1620184950&sr=8-38 I just ran them into the loop and they are not going anywhere unless you need to take them off. I have massive amounts of buckles and straps and you name it.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

I've been back-forth on just which HPG bag would be best for my application. It is hard to predict as colder weather hunting adds volume; just no way around it for both clothing and calories. Is the HPG Large Decker bag manageable when loaded and on your back?
If your not sure how your gear will fit in the bag and how much you need to take or the size of bag you may need I always say error on the side of caution and go big. You can always cinch things down more. so I would go with the Large Decker bag. or you can get the Large and Medium depending on your needs. I have all 3 of them just for testing things out and to see what I can and cannot get away with this setup.

strongarm

Yes very manageable. works just fine. There is a bit more fiddling involved with this but if its from truck to camp and drop the big bag it works great. If your going to be hiking around with the entire setup every day I wouldnt recommend it and go with a more conventional setup. Alot of guys pack in and drop camp and get to hunting. That is when this kind of a setup is going to be great.
Correct, looking for a cleaner/closer-to-back drop camp solution as I consider this setup compared to what I've been doing (which has been taking my expedition pack and hauling in day bag as an addendum).

I would be using the Stryker XL from base camp to spike camp for overnighter(s). Durations will vary, but would not be hiking all day every day with full camp in this setup. I would transition to a different bag at that point in time.

I'm still a little nervous about how far back the load will be using this approach, but I remind myself its quasi-temporary. Many miles one way in, then the ability to drop the bag and go slimmer with the Stryker throughout the day and more importantly easily get quarters out. The HPG bag (s) looks like a decent pairing in size and also appears to help address my main concern a little bit--not pushing the camp bag + Stryker XL + Sherman pocket so far away.

Curious, while we're on different frame platforms (HPG vs. Kifaru), would you run a sleep system underneath the shelf? If I can get bag and pad out of the HPG bag it will pack better and likely allow me to consider a medium vs. a large. The small HPG bag looks great for cold weather gear if in day mode, too!

I do wish the HPG bags had a center or tombstone-style zipper, contents would be super accessible at camp. But it still seems like better geometry than the roll-top bags for my application. Appreciate you sharing this preview - super helpful!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadhunter69