Tech help

4rcgoat

WKR
Had to have a Samsung phone replaced after the screen stopped working,could not transfer contacts or any photos from old phone. Worst of all Google has me locked out,my passwords are correct,but the 2 step verification wants to send the verification to an old phone number. The invertebrates at the at&t store were useless,told me to email Google and hope for the best. Can't sign into email,and don't have any other devices that kept me signed in. Anyone know a way around this issue,as you can tell I'm not very tech savvy. Thanks in advance.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
How about you fix the old phone?
Had to turn it back into the insurance,made a claim even though the phone quit working. Phone was only 6 months old,hardly a scratch. At&t will not deal with warranty issues,so it was left to me to contact Samsung myself, their warranty department was a women who spoke broken English and was obviously running a daycare out of her house.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
New phone doesn’t have the same number as the old one?

def90

WKR
I know this doesn't answer your question but if it gets to the point of having to start over I'd highly recommend getting an iPhone & you'll never have to worry about that again

A google phone works the same way, you have it logged in to your google account and it saves all your contacts, pics, and eveything else. There is nothing magical about an iPhone.

ODB

WKR
A google phone works the same way, you have it logged in to your google account and it saves all your contacts, pics, and eveything else. There is nothing magical about an iPhone.

Except they have support staffed by humans that have been VERY helpful in cases like this. I know from personal experience.

def90

WKR
Why didn't you keep the same phone #?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
It has nothing to do with his current phone number, you can have multiple phone numbers tied to a google account. All he has to do is log in to his google.account on a computer and change the verification phone number associated with his google account.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has nothing to do with his current phone number, you can have multiple phone numbers tied to a google account. All he has to do is log in to his google.account on a computer and change the verification phone number associated with his google account.
Not necessarily if the second of the two step verification is a text message to a number that he no longer has access to. Depending on other security settings he might be able to switch it from sending that text to sending an email to a recovery account or answering several security questions.

wapitibob

WKR
Had to have a Samsung phone replaced after the screen stopped working,could not transfer contacts or any photos from old phone. Worst of all Google has me locked out,my passwords are correct,but the 2 step verification wants to send the verification to an old phone number. The invertebrates at the at&t store were useless,told me to email Google and hope for the best. Can't sign into email,and don't have any other devices that kept me signed in. Anyone know a way around this issue,as you can tell I'm not very tech savvy. Thanks in advance.

Well, the invertebrates as you call them aren't locked out of their phones ,,,,

GWHunter

FNG
I just recently had something similar happen when switching Samsung phones. Swapped phones, did the auto switch info app thing with both phones. I was keeping the same number. Next day it asked for a username and password that I could not even remember setting. Got locked out of the phone after multiple guesses. Luckily I hadn't mailed in my old phone yet and had to start the info switch over and creating Samsung account from scratch. I was able to kept my same Gmail account and everything though. When I was researching into to it to attempt to unlock it my research was telling me that if I didn't still have my old phone or a way to access my Google account I would have been screwed. I would have had to start all over with a new Google account and lost all info from the old phone.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
I just recently had something similar happen when switching Samsung phones. Swapped phones, did the auto switch info app thing with both phones. I was keeping the same number. Next day it asked for a username and password that I could not even remember setting. Got locked out of the phone after multiple guesses. Luckily I hadn't mailed in my old phone yet and had to start the info switch over and creating Samsung account from scratch. I was able to kept my same Gmail account and everything though. When I was researching into to it to attempt to unlock it my research was telling me that if I didn't still have my old phone or a way to access my Google account I would have been screwed. I would have had to start all over with a new Google account and lost all info from the old phone.
Thanks,that's just what I thought. Never thought this would be so much of an issue, Google seems to own me now.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Well, the invertebrates as you call them aren't locked out of their phones ,,,,
This particular gentleman was absolutely no help whatsoever, could hardly lift his eyes from his own phone to tell me I'm screwed, I know an invertebrate when I meet 1. Small town,only store in town,not many options.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Use a computer to log in to google to update your phone number?
That's my next attempt, I was told unless the device kept me logged in for a long period of time,the 2 step verification would still apply,putting me right back to where I currently am. Haven't used the home computer for years to check emails.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Not necessarily if the second of the two step verification is a text message to a number that he no longer has access to. Depending on other security settings he might be able to switch it from sending that text to sending an email to a recovery account or answering several security questions.
That's correct, still have the same number, but they want to send the verification to an old number from years ago. Unfortunately I stopped using the home computer for accessing my email, don't see the point in using the computer at home when I carry a pocket sized one everywhere I go. Hard lesson to learn here I suppose.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Also,I tried the account recovery, it is telling me that I haven't provided enough information to verify that it is me trying to log into......well....me.

True, nothing magical but if your phone gets lost or destroyed all you need is your Apple ID & pwd to restore everything from the iCloud backup. No need for 2FA or verifying steps from the previous device. And as mentioned, the apple support folks are top notch.
I admit I don't know anything about the features for Google / Android... just trying to give advice / suggestion.

jmez

WKR
Definitely some lessons in here. It should be a major PITA to get access to your Google account when you don't have the correct information. Get a password manager other than Google.