Teenage Girl Muzzleloader Loads

Hey guys. I bought my 14 year old sister a muzzleloader elk tag in Washington this year because she wants to call in bulls and my September is already pretty full. I plan on her shooting my .50 cal optima wolf if I can find a manageable load for it that’ll work. Currently it has the musket cap ignition because I use it here in Idaho. Does anyone have any experience with lighter loads that worked well for them on elk? Currently in Idaho my load in it is a 385 gr hornady plains with 100 grains of triple seven behind it. Worked great on my cow last year but way to much of a load for her when she can shoot lighter sabots in Washington. But maybe a solid lead bullet with a light load behind it and shots kept short would be better? My load in Washington was a 300 gr Barnes expander In front of 150 grains of pyrodex in a Knight so my only experiences with sabots weren’t any light loads. I would love to hear some real life experience from some guys using lighter loads on elk or any other good ways to help with recoil so she can practice quite a bit. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
P

Do you remember what weight of bullet?

I'd go 250 grain Barnes T-EZ over 80 grains of 777 if I were you. Keep it inside 100 and that'll kill the hell out of an elk with quite manageable recoil. I've taken a small herd of large, mature whitetail in VA with that exact load and although that's a different story than an elk, the terminal ballistics have always been very impressive. Also in the same ballpark of accuracy as a lot of centerfire rifles that cost as much as a functional used car.

370gr tc maxiball. He shot everything with that load. From deer, muskox, Buffalo, elk, caribou, mnt.lion, and even a gator. Im sure I'm missing something...oh even a coyote..

OP
Timberline001
I'd go 250 grain Barnes T-EZ over 80 grains of 777 if I were you. Keep it inside 100 and that'll kill the hell out of an elk with quite manageable recoil. I've taken a small herd of large, mature whitetail in VA with that exact load and although that's a different story than an elk, the terminal ballistics have always been very impressive. Also in the same ballpark of accuracy as a lot of centerfire rifles that cost as much as a functional used car.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Thank you

OXN939

WKR
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Thank you

A lot of people recommend the 290 grain Barnes, but the 250 zips a little more and definitely does not want for expansion at iron sight ranges. Blood trails range from "good" to "Ray Charles could easily have recovered this animal."

Screenshot_20210603-221840_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210603-221810_Gallery.jpg

cnelk

WKR
Have her start with some PRB [patched round balls]
Very little recoil, fun to shoot and she'll get used to the trigger without getting hammered

They may not be all that accurate, but shoot a few so she gets used to the 'KaaaBoom and smoke'.

Then jump up to the Thompson Center Maxi Hunter Bullets - 275gr to 350gr, using 80-90gr of powder

OP
Timberline001
Have her start with some PRB [patched round balls]
Very little recoil, fun to shoot and she'll get used to the trigger without getting hammered

They may not be all that accurate, but shoot a few so she gets used to the 'KaaaBoom and smoke'.

Then jump up to the Thompson Center Maxi Hunter Bullets - 275gr to 350gr, using 80-90gr of powder

Thanks that’s a good idea. Do you know how low of a charge you can get away with using patched round balls?

Rich M

WKR
I just got a new ml (optima) and want to shoot it some. Got a 100 box of Hornady XTP and FTX bullets and some crush rubbed sabots. 0.55 and 0.65 per shot. Very accurate.

Im shooting 100 gr 777 under them. Recoil ain’t bad for me. Could shoot 50 or 60 gr without any real issues for learning.

While it is a great idea, patched balls should not shoot well with the twist in the optima or wolf. Id use something that’ll shoot better. To build confidence.

you can always work the powder load up and check w chrono til you get where it needs to be for bullet.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
When my son was 10 (he was small for his age) I set up his muzzy with 250 gr Barnes TEZ and 63 gr by weight of Blackhorn 209. Successful on deer. Should be fine on elk out to 100 yards.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Timberline001
I just got a new ml (optima) and want to shoot it some. Got a 100 box of Hornady XTP and FTX bullets and some crush rubbed sabots. 0.55 and 0.65 per shot. Very accurate.

Im shooting 100 gr 777 under them. Recoil ain’t bad for me. Could shoot 50 or 60 gr without any real issues for learning.

While it is a great idea, patched balls should not shoot well with the twist in the optima or wolf. Id use something that’ll shoot better. To build confidence.

you can always work the powder load up and check w chrono til you get where it needs to be for bullet.
I’m trying to get her some of the Thor aluminum sabots to practice with. Theyre 60gr and are supposed to be pretty accurate with a light load. The chrono idea is probally is good as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When my middle daughter was 16 we used 100gr of BH209 behind a 338gr Platinum Powerbelt. She had never shot a ML before that and shot her bull at 30 yards. This year her 14 year old sister will try 70-80gr of BH behind a 420gr No Excuses on a cow.

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with 250 grain Hornady and 70 grains of 777
And even a little bit lighter load just for practice but you also have to remember you can load a full house load for hunting she won't know the difference when she pulls the trigger on an animal ! ( not heavy bullets)

OP
Timberline001
And even a little bit lighter load just for practice but you also have to remember you can load a full house load for hunting she won't know the difference when she pulls the trigger on an animal ! ( not heavy bullets)
That’s true. I have her shooting my light 6.5 PRC now but it was a struggle to get her to that point. She was very shy to the recoil and noise of just a .243 for awhile. She shoots great now, I just want to be careful and not make her trigger shy again where she’s punching the trigger with her eyes closed lol.

OP
Timberline001
The SST? Have you killed some elk with that load?

OP
Timberline001
When my middle daughter was 16 we used 100gr of BH209 behind a 338gr Platinum Powerbelt. She had never shot a ML before that and shot her bull at 30 yards. This year her 14 year old sister will try 70-80gr of BH behind a 420gr No Excuses on a cow.
Dang that’s a stout load! I plan on just leaving the musket ignition on the gun and using powder that’ll work with it. That BH is great stuff though, it was a big deal when we could start using it in Washington a few years ago.