Tell me about hunting in Arizona

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I have a chance to interview for a position in eastern Arizona, near the White Mountains. I'm curious about hunting opportunities in AZ, specifically for elk but also for deer and antelope. How do the odds of drawing a tag compare to, say, NM or CO? Do hunting areas tend to be super crowded compared to other parts of the country?

Northpark

WKR
Just moved here to AZ in June. I moved from Colorado. So far hunting opportunities can be both harder and easier to come by. Archery deer tags are OTC but rifle seems like a pain to draw in many units. Bull elk tags are not easy to draw anywhere. Just drew a javalina archery tag no problem, quail hunting is good, excellent predator hunting. Overall so far it seems like a good place to be. Where you got an interview for?

BBob

WKR
Archery, rifle or muzzleloader? Most elk hunts are tough draw odds but some can be drawn with little to a handful of points. Some of the elk hunts can be a sh*t show but you can learn to manage and duck the masses. As above, OTC deer tags are easy to get. Some areas can be super crowded and some not at all. Antelope tags are tough to draw for the most part especially a rifle tag. NM is a no points state so odds are level for everyone every year but still tough odds for elk especially the popular units. You can up your draw odds if you contract with an outfitter there.

Az has decent OTC archery. Draw units are hard. Trophy units are as any where else- super super hard and if you get behind the curve you will likely never draw until you are 98 years old. I hunt in the Southern regions and just don't bother with buying points for elk. Deer draw areas are a different story and don't take all that long, but certain areas do take some time. I choose to hunt elk in Utah and Idaho, OTC and archery deer OTC in Az. . Really depends where you're coming from as to the benefits of Az. As a resident, other than cheaper license and permit costs, you can scout and have boots on the ground benefits.

AZmark

WKR
Hey dougfir,
I'm born/raised and now again live in eastern AZ in the White Mtns and semi-retired. You posted a few months back that maybe that you had a possible opportunity in Western NM town of Reserve and I responded. So I guess you didnt get/take that job? Where in Eastern AZ is your interview? Check back at my old answer as its still valid.
Let me know if you get the job as I'm always looking for someone to hunt with.

One nice thing about living in eastern AZ is you can put in for NM hunts as its not far away.

When I think of hunting in AZ the first thing that comes to mind is CACTUS! so many things that are sharp and pokey there :LOL: you really got to watch out for them.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I've only hunted AZ being born and raised here but the hunting opportunities vary. Some units are managed for opportunity, and others for trophy. Opportunity units can look like a zoo and trophy units can potentially take forever to draw. My FIL is at 28 points for Antelope but at this point only puts in for primo rifle units. I haven't elk hunted in 4 years and the last 3 I've only put in for cow hunts. It is a super pretty area though.

rob86jeep

WKR
If you move to AZ, get a lifetime hunting license. That way even if you leave for another state you'll always enter the draw as a resident and get the better odds...

As far as Antelope is concerned amazing trophy potential in central AZ but point creep is real. Elk is also suffering from point creep but can get a good tag in under 10 years. Deer has lots of amazing otc archery opportunities. SE AZ and Central AZ has great Coues deer. Mule deer is average south of the grand canyon. Can get an archery tag on the Kaibab in a short amount of time. Nice thing about being in Eastern AZ is you can easily hunt NM which IMO has better Antelope, better elk draw odds and mule deer on par with AZ South of the ditch deer.

I'm a nonresident and drew 3 elk tags in my first 5 years of applying. get a good unit and there are huge bulls. I've seen 370-380 more than a few times. It's perfect for archers.