Tell me about the Yellowstone Club.

Doghed

WKR
My family and I have a chance to be a guest of a resident in couple weeks. The resident won't be on site. We will be staying in their house. I've looked at the website and have seen the summer activities and it looks amazing. What can I expect as a non-resident in terms of access to activities and services? I will definitely be riding the MTB trails and fly fishing.

Last edited:

MT257

WKR
Heck might get lucky and run into Phil Mickelson, the Kardashian Clan, Tom Brady, and who knows who else will be up there.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The fly fishing is mostly down on the main Gallatin rather than up in YC. Hike Lone Peak or slip over to Big Sky and ride the gondola to the top. Just looking at the architecture is interesting. Maybe Bill Gates or Justin Timberlake will say hi.

I'm not sure about general access rules though since I always had full access via a work pass.

Mt Al

WKR
Runoff should be down, fishing could be awesome at that time. Not a bad drive to West Yellowstone to see Old Faithful is you're so inclined. It's hard to not have a great time in that area

Elk97

WKR
Definitely interesting architecture in there, some amazing houses (if you still call a 50,000 sq ft building a house). Not sure if they are doing it this year but they usually have a free concert in Big Sky village regularly. Be bear aware on the trails, there have already been 7 attacks in MT this year and one recently in Big Sky where a griz attacked and bit a gal in her tent.

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
Runoff should be down, fishing could be awesome at that time. Not a bad drive to West Yellowstone to see Old Faithful is you're so inclined. It's hard to not have a great time in that area
Thanks all. Can't wait. I've never seen that part of the mountain west so I'm pretty stoked. I'd be just as happy just hanging out on public land and exploring DIY, but the YC will be a really fun experience. Old faithful is most definitely on the itinerary. My 11 year old said its on his bucket list. I didn't know 11 year olds had bucket lists, but good for him getting to check something off.

Elk97

WKR
One more thing. If you like BBQ try the Riverhouse down on the river (down the hill to the light and turn right, it'll be on your left), great food and location and lots of fun for kids.

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
One more thing. If you like BBQ try the Riverhouse down on the river (down the hill to the light and turn right, it'll be on your left), great food and location and lots of fun for kids.
Excellent!! Thats a great idea. Sounds like our kind of place. Thank you.

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
The fly fishing is mostly down on the main Gallatin rather than up in YC. Hike Lone Peak or slip over to Big Sky and ride the gondola to the top. Just looking at the architecture is interesting. Maybe Bill Gates or Justin Timberlake will say hi.

I'm not sure about general access rules though since I always had full access via a work pass.
I'm most interested in the fly fishing. I'm fine with getting out of the YC to find quality. Can you tell me more about fishing the Gallatin?

WCB

WKR
There can be great fishing along the whole stretch of the Gallatin right up throw YC. Usually not the size but great action...BE CAREFUL driving on that road at all times of the day. If it is like it usually is during the summer you would think you are in L.A. oh wait....you basically are.

You can make the loop down to Earth Quake Lake head up to the Ennis Area (straight west of BigSky). If you have kids Virginia City is kind of a neat place to stop. You could stop and fish the Madison a little. You could go to Bozeman for some shopping and the Museum of the Rockies otherwise I avoid it like the plague. It was probably my favorite place to be until about 2014. You could also head north to Four Corners then shoot west and hit the Madison River in that area...also a pretty cool Buffalo Jump historical area up there.

Poser

WKR
I’ve heard that place has pretty great skiing terrain and there are few serious skiers to ski it, despite the fact that there are apparently properties that have patio serviced, private ski lifts?

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There can be great fishing along the whole stretch of the Gallatin right up throw YC. Usually not the size but great action...BE CAREFUL driving on that road at all times of the day. If it is like it usually is during the summer you would think you are in L.A. oh wait....you basically are.

You can make the loop down to Earth Quake Lake head up to the Ennis Area (straight west of BigSky). If you have kids Virginia City is kind of a neat place to stop. You could stop and fish the Madison a little. You could go to Bozeman for some shopping and the Museum of the Rockies otherwise I avoid it like the plague. It was probably my favorite place to be until about 2014. You could also head north to Four Corners then shoot west and hit the Madison River in that area...also a pretty cool Buffalo Jump historical area up there.

+1 on the driving. I’ve seen gawking or timid people drive 35 in the 55 zone for 20 miles with no care for the dozens of vehicles stacked behind them. A friend who drives concrete truck had someone cross the line and hit him head on. Guys on crotch rockets pass several cars in a row in no passing zones. It can be weird between Highway 64 and the canyon mouth.

+1 on the West Yellowstone-Quake Lake-Ennis-VC-Bozeman loop too. You could easily turn just that into two days.

Can’t help you with the fishing. I couldn’t catch a fish in a hatchery. I have just seen lots of folks flogging that water trying to make it give up a fish.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Dont be that guy, pull over and let the faster (resident) drivers pass

hahaha....I agree or just drive...if you are driven you shouldn't be lookin...I'm a non-resident to MT but basically lived there for 5 years and spend considerable time there most years. That drive and through Bear Trap is the absolute worst...even more so during whether or if you are pulling stock.