Tell Me About WY 102

Whip

WKR
The draws have not been kind this year. AZ, NM elk and WY moose have all told me no.
A buddy and I are sitting on max points for WY deer and have been looking close at unit 102. I know it's not what it used to be, but then neither are we and at Medicare age are trying to burn points up on something every year.

We would be bowhunting only and have never set foot in the unit so not sure what to expect. We'd be plenty happy if we can find some 140-160 class deer to chase.

What is the hunting pressure like during bow season?

I know there are lots of roads. It's there a lot of activity from other users? Campers, atvs, etc?

Would we need to seek out more remote areas to find deer or will they be fairly easily assessable that early in the season?

What kind of daytime temps would be typical in early Sept? Elevations look to be about 7,000'

On topos it looks like the terrain would be confusive to spot/stalk hunting. Is that the case?

It appears populations in general are well below goals for the area. Worried that past bad winters have cut deeply into the age class bucks we'd like to find. But tags were cut way back, so maybe still enough around?

How was this past winter on the deer in that part of the state?

Any other input you think might be helpful?
Or should we just keep banking these points and hope for a better year someday?

I can't comment on the hunt specifics as I've not spent any real time in the unit, I think there are some factors to consider that'd make that hunt really appealing.

After watching Robby Denning's live video with the biologist down in Evanston and driving through the area myself, I wouldn't hesitate on hunting that unit this year. The winter kill was not good and since it wasn't good two years ago, as well, I think you're either looking at hunting this year or waiting like 5+ to get on the other side of those two lost fawn crops.

Even though the winter was harsh, there's going to be a ton more moisture in that Red Desert than normal so you might find some great antler growth compared to most years, too.

Also, since it's Wyoming, every person who draws will have rifle tags in their pockets, so I doubt you'll get much archery pressure in that unit. Should be a ghost town.

If you can't tell, my vote is for you to burn those points and go hunting! Lol.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Thanks Jaden, that's kind of the way I'm leaning at this point. Yes, the population is down and it's a lot of points to burn. But waiting 5 years for things to improve doesn't guarantee there won't be another tough winter ahead. And 5 years from now I'd be pushing 70. I'm going to keep after it as long as I can but there is an end somewhere for all of us. Western hunting is at its best without so many miles on the body.

Thanks Jaden, that's kind of the way I'm leaning at this point. Yes, the population is down and it's a lot of points to burn. But waiting 5 years for things to improve doesn't guarantee there won't be another tough winter ahead. And 5 years from now I'd be pushing 70. I'm going to keep after it as long as I can but there is an end somewhere for all of us. Western hunting is at its best without so many miles on the body.

Man, huge kudos to you for taking care of yourself to stay after it. That’s my goal!

My grandpa gave up on elk hunting with 15 points to burn because he didn’t think he could get around well enough at 60 to make it worth it.

Can’t do anything with those points when you can’t hunt anymore!

Best of luck to ya! I’d love to hear how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyelk

FNG
Man, huge kudos to you for taking care of yourself to stay after it. That’s my goal!

My grandpa gave up on elk hunting with 15 points to burn because he didn’t think he could get around well enough at 60 to make it worth it.

Can’t do anything with those points when you can’t hunt anymore!

Best of luck to ya! I’d love to hear how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hunted this unit during the Oct rifle season and if given the chance again I would. There was pressure the first few days but mostly from elk hunters. I hunted all but 3 days of the season plus I scouted for 3 days before. Spot and chase. Little mtn had the majority of the hunters. Wish I could help for the archery hunt info but don't know much.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I bow hunted it in 2007. It was an awesome hunt then. I saw lots of mature bucks per day and didn't see many people. I haven't set foot in the area since 08, so I can't comment on what it's like these days.

mulecreek

FNG
We would be bowhunting only and have never set foot in the unit so not sure what to expect. We'd be plenty happy if we can find some 140-160 class deer to chase.

What is the hunting pressure like during bow season?

I know there are lots of roads. It's there a lot of activity from other users? Campers, atvs, etc?

Would we need to seek out more remote areas to find deer or will they be fairly easily assessable that early in the season?

What kind of daytime temps would be typical in early Sept? Elevations look to be about 7,000'

On topos it looks like the terrain would be confusive to spot/stalk hunting. Is that the case?

It appears populations in general are well below goals for the area. Worried that past bad winters have cut deeply into the age class bucks we'd like to find. But tags were cut way back, so maybe still enough around?

How was this past winter on the deer in that part of the state?

Any other input you think might be helpful?
Or should we just keep banking these points and hope for a better year someday?

You will find enough 150 class bucks to keep you occupied.

Bow pressure is light. Bow hunting is as difficult as its going to get. Very open country.

In places non hunting activity can be high but should not be prohibitive.

I wouldn't call much of anywhere in 102 remote. Deer will be in the likely places and will not be overly difficult to find early in the season. Big bucks are as hard to find in 102 as they are in any unit.

70's to 90's for early September.

Terrain may be conducive but lack of vegetation will make it tough. But hey, that's what makes it fun. Think spot and stalk antelope. Not many bucks die by arrow in 102. You will have a fun but challenging hunt.

Past winter was rough but not all died.

I have had the 102 tag twice and my wife has had it twice as well. Last time I had the tag, I never chambered a round. Never could find a buck that tripped my trigger. People still take some great bucks from 102. Its not a bad hunt at all. Easy terrain, easy glassing, plenty of game to keep interest high. You will have fun.

That being said I would take a region G or H tag over 102 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Thanks Mulecreek, that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear and helps us make a decision. Region G & H would be awesome, but my partner has some medical issues that keep him from doing the rugged stuff anymore. Heck, I'm not as mobile as I used to be myself. The easier terrain is one of the things that have us looking here.
Lack of vegetation would make stalking tough but appears to have at least some areas with pretty broken terrain that we might be able to use. I read something that compared it to Utah Book Cliffs terrain wise. We bow hunted that a few years ago and although we didn't kill anything we had our chances.

As long as we can be in deer and get some stalls in we'd have a good time even though it may be tough. Like you say, that's what makes it fun!

OP
W

Whip

WKR
Another question if you know - what do the deer use for water sources down there? I see some creeks on the topos but don't know if they hold water that time of year? Also some scattered springs shown but again, don't know if those are year round sources? Is waterhole hunting a tactic for archery season?
Thanks again for the input!

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
All of G isn’t rough and rugged. There are places you can drive to and glass from the truck. Some that are easy walking that do hold deer. The winter kill the last two years in the range most of the G deer winter has been light to average. Just an FYI.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Deer get their water from springs stock ponds and creeks. Only one way to find out if they are productive. Circle them on your map and visit them once you are there. Pinpointing likely water sources is a good strategy. That's how I ended up killing a buck on my hunt. Found his track at a spring and knew he was in the area...

mulecreek

FNG
HiMtnHntr has given you solid advice. Make sure you smile when checking those water holes. You will be on candid camera.