Tell me i'm not crazy- 30-06 vs. 300 win mag recoil impulse

I own a tikka t3x in a 30-06 that I really don't enjoy shooting, and I wouldn't consider myself overly recoil sensitive. I've also borrowed and shot a tikka t3 (older model) in 300 win mag that I truly believe had significantly less "sharp" recoil. There was certainly recoil, but it seemed like it was more of a shove rather than a harsh kick. Thinking I was going to get teased endlessly I cautiously broached this subject with a sheep guide/buddy of mine and to my surprise, he agreed with me. He says that he sold his 30-06 in loo of the tikka t3 in 300. Is there any actual data out there that shows a 300 win mag truly has a slower recoil impulse than a 30-06, or is this all in my head?

-My research says that the stock older model is only .4 lbs more than my t3x in 30-06, hardly enough IMO, to tame recoil any better
-Both rifles were unbraked
-The 30-06 was shooting 178 gr bullets and the 300 win mag was shooting 180 gr bullets

bsnedeker

WKR
I own a tikka t3x in a 30-06 that I really don't enjoy shooting, and I wouldn't consider myself overly recoil sensitive. I've also borrowed and shot a tikka t3 (older model) in 300 win mag that I truly believe had significantly less "sharp" recoil. There was certainly recoil, but it seemed like it was more of a shove rather than a harsh kick. Thinking I was going to get teased endlessly I cautiously broached this subject with a sheep guide/buddy of mine and to my surprise, he agreed with me. He says that he sold his 30-06 in loo of the tikka t3 in 300. Is there any actual data out there that shows a 300 win mag truly has a slower recoil impulse than a 30-06, or is this all in my head?

-My research says that the stock older model is only .4 lbs more than my t3x in 30-06, hardly enough IMO, to tame recoil any better
-Both rifles were unbraked
-The 30-06 was shooting 178 gr bullets and the 300 win mag was shooting 180 gr bullets

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but I recently bought a tx3 win 300 WM and this thing kicks like mule! I've got to take a week between range sessions to let my shoulder recover, which is annoying because I'm trying to work up a load for the rifle.

No experience with a 30-06 or with a t3 model so take it with a grain of salt.

Jim538

FNG
Really that .4 pounds is quite a bit. Especially if it's in the stock. I would assume that a more dense stock would absorb and disperse the recoil throughout itself.

Terrapin

WKR
I find the new Tikka rifles have a sharp kick. More like a jab than a push. I was shooting one in 6.5 CM side by side with a 6.5-284 and a 7mm mag. On paper it should have been the softest, in actuality it was the harshest (ignoring all the other mitigating conditions such as brakes and weights... just surprising perception).

Recoil impulse and how it effects the human body is a strange beast. You see this in competitive clay target games where 300 rounds per day isn’t unheard of. People will load identical payloads and velocities with different powders, and swear up and down that one recoils worse... I can certainly tell the difference, even though I know from physics that it is impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
You're not crazy! It is amazing how much difference there can be in guns not just calibers. Weight, stock cut style, recoil pad, bullet weight, etc can all have a big impact. One of the worst guns I've ever had for recoil was a 270wsm, and I have a lot of time behind 30 cal guns

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Jellymon

FNG
What recoil pad is on it? Both t3 and t3x stock pads suck. My t3x 30/06 has a limbsaver pad on it and it feels like any other 06 around 7-8lbs to me. All three variations have much less recoil to me then a 300wm though, even in a rifle 2lbs heavier.

16Bore

WKR
30-06 in a 7# rifle is my limit. Shit gets jumpy. Stock is everything. I shot and 8+ M70 and Kimber Montana side by side (270’s) and the M70 was noticeably worse.

Kevlar is the shizza.

OP
carsonkeys
What recoil pad is on it? Both t3 and t3x stock pads suck. My t3x 30/06 has a limbsaver pad on it and it feels like any other 06 around 7-8lbs to me. All three variations have much less recoil to me then a 300wm though, even in a rifle 2lbs heavier.
Stock pad on both if I remember correctly, but 100% sure on the stock pad for the 06.

Personally on my different rifles (of the same caliber) it’s all in weight & where it’s distributed. Different weighted stocks vs heavier longer barrels recoil feels completely different.

Rich M

WKR
I was raised shooting 30-06 and have also shot 300 mag before.

Agreed that the recoil is diff --> 300 mag is easier for me to shoot.

I'm down to 243 due to not liking recoil of 30-06 and tired of fighting rifle to shoot good (gun/load combo will shoot an inch at 200-250 yards but it is a ton of focus & I want it to be fun, not work).

I was raised shooting 30-06 and have also shot 300 mag before.

Agreed that the recoil is diff --> 300 mag is easier for me to shoot.

I'm down to 243 due to not liking recoil of 30-06 and tired of fighting rifle to shoot good (gun/load combo will shoot an inch at 200-250 yards but it is a ton of focus & I want it to be fun, not work).
Have you shot a 28 Nosler with a brake on it? Even my lightweight with a carbon barrel isn’t a tank to shoot! I was pleasantly surprised.

I’ve decided to leave the lightweight guns to light cartridges. My 300 mag is about 9 pounds, 280ai is 10, 270wsm is 8.75 and all are braked and mild to shoot. I would like to pick up an ultralight in 6.5 creed though.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Not tikka's but my Weatherby DGR Mark V 300 wby mag with a pachmyr decelerator pad is a pleasure to shoot. I had a Sako 30.06 with a stock pad that I took no pleasure in shooting and I sold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
I had a .270 that would rattle your fillings. Sold it.
I have a 7mm08 T.C. Dimension that is a bit uncomfortable to shoot but is so danged accurate I keep it. It has cut my eye twice. I wouldn't dare let my wife shoot it. This is with 120 gr bullets and max loads. Have taken many animals over 400 and 500 yds with it though.
I think sometimes it is the type of powder that produces the sharp recoil in addition to stock design and rifle weight. Had a Tikka 695 in 7mm mag that was a pussycat and a joy to shoot. I have two .280s that are so easy on the shot that I can barely put them down... very soft recoil feel with max loads of 140s and 160s.