Tell me i'm not crazy- 30-06 vs. 300 win mag recoil impulse

williaada

WKR
One of the other posts mentioned it before. The stock of the rifle makes a huge difference. I have a 30-06 pre64 Winchester and the thing shoots great, but it kicks really hard. I used my brothers sako 30-06 and there was very little kick. Still wanting to use a .30 cal I tried a TC 300win mag and the kick was less than both 30-06s. I shoot 180gr bullet last out of all three rifles.

Muttly

WKR
Stock geometry, your build, 101 different factors.
I,m built more like Hobbes than Calvin, tall, long arms and longish neck. On paper the 06 cases all sound like they should be a gentler sort than the Win Mag cases, but that hasn't panned out.
Three little brothers, and none of em like the 06 family. Two of em run 300 Win Mags, and one of em hates recoil, usually drags out a 7-08, but would also take a 300 Win Mag any day of the week over a 30-06.
Few years ago, picked up a Tikka in 7 Mag, had always been curious about the caliber. Figured I would likely keep it for a little while, move it on down the road when the novelty wore off.
Rounded up a Ridgeline roughly the same time in 30-06, thinking that was gonna be a keeper.
And despite myself, never did bond with the Ridgeline, liked the Tikka a LOT better.
I don't think I like recoil any better than the next guy, 270s, 30-06, just all seem a lot more snappy to me, the 300s and 7s, a big hard push, waaaaay rather deal with that.

OXN939

WKR
One of the other posts mentioned it before. The stock of the rifle makes a huge difference. I have a 30-06 pre64 Winchester and the thing shoots great, but it kicks really hard. I used my brothers sako 30-06 and there was very little kick. Still wanting to use a .30 cal I tried a TC 300win mag and the kick was less than both 30-06s. I shoot 180gr bullet last out of all three rifles.

Interesting to hear that people perceive .30-06 as having more recoil than .300 WM. With close to 150% the powder volume pushing the same projectiles, you'd think the opposite.

New question for anyone reading- for two rifles of the exact same specs except barrel length, how much does recoil differ? Obviously more barrel equals more weight to resist a rifle's recoil impulse, but how much do you guys think this really effects felt recoil?

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider

While not entirely apples-to-apples, this might be a fun guide to look at. The 30-06 weighed in at 8.0 lbs and recoiled 20.1 lbs at 12.7 fps (165 grains) and 20.3 lbs at 12.8 fps (180 grains). The 300 Win Mag weighed in at 8.0 lbs for the 165 grains and 8.5 lbs for the 180 grain bullet; 26.2 lbs at 14.5 fps (165 grain) and 25.9 lbs at 14.0 fps (180 grains).

Another view would be to look at the physics data comparing two rifles. i.e. is more energy lost pulling a heavier barrel or pushing a heavier stock (this is dependent on where the stock carries its weight, butt vs forearm). No matter what a heavier rifle will recoil less than the equivalent lighter rifle if all other metrics are the same, but how does that change when you change where the weight is. I have heard Mr. Carlock say that more weight in the rear equates to a more dead in the hand feel. However, I have also heard that more weight out the front (heavier barrel profile) equates to less muzzle rise and lower felt recoil. Never seen a direct comparison of the two.

I have never owned a 30-06, but have a small harem of 700 clones in 300 Win Mag and a Tikka T3 in 270 win. Recoil has never been an issue on any of them, however the factory Tikka does tend to recoil a little more. I have chocked that up to lighter weight and a skinnier hard rubber recoil pad.

I have a pre-64 '06 featherweight that will make a grown man cry after too many rounds. I have a Kimber Montana in .270 that barks with 150 grain Nosler Partitions. I have a 10.5 lb .300 win mag that purrs like a kitten with 200 grain Hornady Eld-x rounds. All have their place, all have their notches, none I have ever noticed with an animal in the crosshairs...

It's funny you say that. I had a Sako 85 in .30-06 that was the sharpest recoiling rifle I've shot. I also have an MOA 300 win mag and a Fierce 7mag. Even with the brakes off, I don't find their recoil to be as bad as that damn 30-06.

I’ll throw this out there (have no idea if true).

Slow burning vs. fast powder

Most 300 WM use a slightly slower burning powder and accelerate the projectile “gradually” down the full length of a 26” barrel. A shorter barrel requires a faster burning powder to bring the projectile up to velocity.

tikka’s 300 WM has a ~24” barrel while the 30-06 has a ~22”. Almost 10% difference.

Maybe that is an explanation for the different feel of the recoil?

elkguide

WKR
I know all of the recoil tables show that the Win Mag has a lot more recoil than a 30:06 but even though I am a little guy, (5'8" - 160#) I currently own 4 .300 Win Mags and the last '06 that I owned I actually gave away. I just have never developed a love for the old '06.

.30 caliber is my favorite caliber and I currently have multiple rifles in 4 different variations of the .30 caliber and none of them are the '06.

For the little difference in recoil, (on paper,) I will gladly take the extra OOMPH of the big .30's when the bullet arrives at it's target.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
My tikka 300wsm kicked like a mule in the factory tupperware stock. Not fun at all.

Switched it to a B&C medalist stock and it was much easier to handle.

Now have it in a Manners eh1 and its pure joy to shoot.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
My tikka 300wsm kicked like a mule in the factory tupperware stock. Not fun at all.

Switched it to a B&C medalist stock and it was much easier to handle.

Now have it in a Manners eh1 and its pure joy to shoot.

Same here. The B&C is a little heavier and the butt is a little wider and that made it almost tolerable.