Tell me i'm not crazy- 30-06 vs. 300 win mag recoil impulse

jek5224

FNG
I have an older model T3 in .300 wm. It's a tack driver, but it kicks harder than any other rifle I've ever shot. I just put a limbsaver on it, so I am curious to see what the difference is.

7#2oz, to be exact....as you see it.

Thanks. I’m on the fence between a Tikka stainless lite and Winchester 70 EWSS in 30-06. Sounds like Tikka with a limb saver is the way to go for an all around package, escpecially if it’s suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the .4lb weight difference just a matter of material or did Tikka change their stock dimensions at all when they moved to the T3X? The physics are what they are, but you need to shoot rifles identical to each other to feel them.

OP
carsonkeys
Is the .4lb weight difference just a matter of material or did Tikka change their stock dimensions at all when they moved to the T3X? The physics are what they are, but you need to shoot rifles identical to each other to feel them.
Agreed; very solid and legitimate point about needing to shoot identical rifles for a true comparison.

I can't tell you what the difference is between the T3 and T3x.

OXN939

WKR
Thanks. I’m on the fence between a Tikka stainless lite and Winchester 70 EWSS in 30-06. Sounds like Tikka with a limb saver is the way to go for an all around package, escpecially if it’s suppressed.

FWIW, I think stock geometry plays a part in what people are talking about with how you perceive recoil, and my EWSS in .308 is a pleasure to shoot. I've had other .308s that have really sharp, painful recoil, but the 70 EWSS does a great job of mitigating it.

brushape

WKR
My t3x super light 300 win is the most painful punishing rifle I’ve ever shot. After hunting with a braked 6.5 saum for about 5 years now recoil just isn’t fun for me

I have an older model T3 in .300 wm. It's a tack driver, but it kicks harder than any other rifle I've ever shot. I just put a limbsaver on it, so I am curious to see what the difference is.

A friend has a t3 300wm, dang does that thing kick. Not at all pleasant. I have a sako 85fl 30-06 and honestly doesn't bother me to shot, but that tikka is not pleasant.

If you aren't a fan of recoil, throw a muzzle break on it. Will take it down, I have one on my 300wm and I can easily spot the shots in the scope. Some people say they are loud, not really if you wear protection.

It could be that the stock geometry and recoil paid help more on the Tikka. Having said that, the 300WM is referred to by competitive shooters as a flinch factory for a reason. I mitigate all of those issues by just shooting 100% suppressed these days.

It is all subjective to the individual and the specific firearm.

The recoil that I felt when I first shot my 8# T3X in Win Mag was a disappointment. The felt recoil was nowhere close to what the horror stories conveyed. There is recoil but it is honestly not that bad.

I have a Savage 110 (older model) in 30-06 that is about 8#. I have a 9# Savage FCSS in 300 Win Mag. It's felt recoil is less than my 30-06. I have one friend who has no issue with that 30-06 but cannot handle either of my 300 Win Mags.

Give me a hand gun and it is not much fun for anything larger than a 9mm. My same friend mentioned above has no issues shooting hand cannons.

OXN939

WKR
A friend has a t3 300wm, dang does that thing kick. Not at all pleasant. I have a sako 85fl 30-06 and honestly doesn't bother me to shot, but that tikka is not pleasant.

If you aren't a fan of recoil, throw a muzzle break on it. Will take it down, I have one on my 300wm and I can easily spot the shots in the scope. Some people say they are loud, not really if you wear protection.

Stands to reason. The case capacity of a .30-06 is 68 grains, while .300 WM is 93.8. More powder igniting behind the same projectile will create more energy that has to go somewhere.

On the topic of stock geometry, I'd be interested to hear people's theories about which designs do an especially good or bad job of mitigating recoil. So far seems like a lot of votes for synthetic-stocked Tikkas taming recoil pretty poorly.

OP you're not alone on the T3x in '06. I bought a brand new one at full retail a few years ago. It shot great. I sold it less than a year later because I just didn't enjoy shooting it very much. I bought it to shoot 180 grain hand loads, and ended up just shooting 165's out of it because that's all I wanted on the bench. Eventually I sold it for a T3 in 7mm-08 and have been happy ever since.

I have a buddy who loves his 300 Win Mag (albeit in a 9 lb. Rem 700) and swears it doesn't kick that much. I don't think I've ever shot one to compare though.

the type of powder absolutely affects felt recoil in my experience.

FWIW, I think stock geometry plays a part in what people are talking about with how you perceive recoil, and my EWSS in .308 is a pleasure to shoot. I've had other .308s that have really sharp, painful recoil, but the 70 EWSS does a great job of mitigating it.

And just like that I’m back to the Winchester 70 as the one and done solution...until my next change of mind...
I probably shouldn’t fret over a half pound difference or so I guess.

16Bore

WKR
Everyone wants an ultralight thumper until it’s time to shoot it. Which is why a matching 223 is your best friend.

Reactions: FLS
I have 2 30-06. Both similar weight and barrel length. Recoil pads are very similar in thickness. One pushes once snaps. It's all in the angle of the comb. IMO

Everyone wants an ultralight thumper until it’s time to shoot it. Which is why a matching 223 is your best friend.
Having a matching rifle in a smaller caliber to practice with is solid advice.

I have a 17 HMR T1X and 6.5 CM T3X to compliment my 300 Win Mag T3X. Less expensive practice sessions and less recoil to deal with.

16Bore

WKR
Not to mention fun....

223 Tikka SWFA vs. 4 tacticool gunstore commandos with a 50 BMG Barrett & NF was a hoot......

“Excuse me sir, I just wanted to let you know that we are going to shoot. And it’s a 50 BMG. And it’s loud”

Mmmmmmm......OK?

I'm glad threaded barrels are becoming more "standard". Whether you choose a can or brake, theres nothing wrong with mitigating recoil and making shooting fun.

Show me a guy who claims to enjoy getting the snot kicked out of him every shot, and I'll show you a guy who could shoot better with less recoil... why do you think rimfire and 223 is so popular?

Thats not to say that nobody can shoot a heavy hitter - there definitely are guys out there who can do it and do it well, but there are far more guys out there who claim to be able to.

Wrench

WKR
Recoil has more components than just weight. Recoil velocity is a function of bullet mass, powder charge and rifle weight....as is recoil force. Recoil velocity is what most complain about.

If one were to take two identical rifles with different stock shapes the felt recoil would be very apparent.

How one sets up to shoot is huge too. Catch a rifle from the prone on the clavicle with a little slop in the mount and you're going to be ruined.

It's a whole new ball of wax to shoot a snappy recoiling rig well. I have some #6.5-7 rigs that can drive .75 moa often.....but left to free recoil with bad form they don't look fit to burn the powder.

While I acknowledge the benefits of brakes, the negatives are a deal breaker for me. With foam inserts and over-the-ear protection, my ears still hurt when I am around others that are shooting a braked rifle. The pain I feel in my ears is considerably more than anything that I have felt from a firearm. This does include shooting 3 1/2" shells in a 12 gauge while prone which I do not recommend.

There are many ways to address felt recoil and there is no single method that is perfect for everyone under every scenario. Do whatever you feel like you need to do to address your felt recoil.

Here is a great graphic that shows how loud brakes can be in comparison to an unbraked rifle.

1582998543313.png

OP
carsonkeys
I have 2 30-06. Both similar weight and barrel length. Recoil pads are very similar in thickness. One pushes once snaps. It's all in the angle of the comb. IMO
"One pushes one snaps" is the exact problem I was trying to describe. Can you explain how the angle of the comb lends itself to the push or snap?