Tell me where to take my dad caribou hunting

Felix40

WKR
I want some help figuring out where to take my dad for a caribou hunt. We did a drop camp on POW a couple years ago and it was a lot of fun but he wants to go back to AK in an area where its a little less of a pain in the ass to hike and more big views.

He is 60 years old lives in CO and hikes a fair amount (on trails) there. Steep wont really be any issue but brush and tussocks will break his spirit. I see some videos of the alaska range and 40 mile herd where it looks like the hiking is pretty easy (at least on the ridgelines) but its so hard to tell. Finding caribou would probably not be nearly as important as just having a sweet trip with some hiking and glassing.

I think 40 mile would be my first choice but it sounds like its dang near impossible to get a spot with them. Any other recommendations would be helpful even if its something other than a caribou hunt.

VernAK

WKR
You don't provide a time frame but it's a good idea to start planning 2 years out.
The demand exceeds the supply when it comes to quality bush flights into good caribou country.

You're looking in the right direction.....be flexible in your timing and demands.

Good luck!

rlmmarine

WKR
Go with webbers in nunavut canada, it a float plane into camp and boat trips out on the lake to find the caribou then you get out and stalk. I had an awesome time

Attachments

• 20170902_110843.jpg
    20170902_110843.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2868.JPG
    DSCN2868.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN2771.JPG
    DSCN2771.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170902_110845.jpg
    20170902_110845.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2736.JPG
    DSCN2736.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 84
OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
You don't provide a time frame but it's a good idea to start planning 2 years out.
The demand exceeds the supply when it comes to quality bush flights into good caribou country.

You're looking in the right direction.....be flexible in your timing and demands.

Good luck!

I dont have a timeframe right now. Basically whatever it takes to get the right trip not just any trip.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
Go with webbers in nunavut canada, it a float plane into camp and boat trips out on the lake to find the caribou then you get out and stalk. I had an awesome time
Im not really into guided hunts but that does look like something worth keeping in mind.

Basically all I want to know is where I can take him that he will be able to walk around without fighting brush or breaking an ankle

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the outfitter, most of what I have found is that the guided hunts include lodging/food and the partially guided ones as well. On the do-it-yourself hunts you typically supply everything. Typically you can do a 2x1 guided hunt for like 300-500 bucks cheaper per person BTW.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
It depends on the outfitter, most of what I have found is that the guided hunts include lodging/food and the partially guided ones as well. On the do-it-yourself hunts you typically supply everything. Typically you can do a 2x1 guided hunt for like 300-500 bucks cheaper per person BTW.

Maybe Im not making myself clear....Im looking for recommendations on areas where walking will be somewhat enjoyable and not a huge pain (like what mountain range, herd, general part of the state). I dont have much interest in a guided hunt.

I dont know where you are coming up with your numbers but I dont think they are accurate. Most of the air transports I have looked into are around $2-4k per person while guided trips start around $8k and go up from there.

40 mile might be booked up but Tok air is across the strip and probably has an open spot. Brooks range aviation for a north slope is another option. Both hunts are fun, one allows you to bring a bigger camp.

I would recommend the Haul rd for sure. But I would recommend getting an outfitter to get you out past the 5 mile mark and the garbage tundra. Once you get out there a ways around the Echooka River and the Ivishak its not horrible ground and lots of Caribou. There are a couple outfitters up near Prudhoe Bay that transport by air boat and both offer drop camp rentals so you would have what you need when you arrive. Positive side to air boat is you don't have to worry about weather grounding you (just my opinion) I know one of the outfitters is Deadhorse Outfitter and the other is I believe North Star Outfitters. I recommend Deadhorse Outfitters they are a great group of guys, Veteran owned and an all around great company.