Tell us what you think about E-bikes for hunting??

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Our friends over at Gforce asked us to put up a survey on E-bikes for hunting.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have tried a few e-bikes and was not impressed. I don't really have a need for one in the fall but could use the hell out of one for spring bear and a few scouring trips. But the batteries need a big improvement IME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KHNC

WKR
You been on any? It's like Pedaling a small motorbike uphill with a dead battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LOL, yeah, i have two actually. I have a M2S 350w mid drive and a Rambo 750w Mid drive. The M2s is a 5 speed , Rambo is a 3 speed. I took them to New Mexico twice and i use them in the NC and SC mountains on trails. In 5th gear low the M2S is ok, while the Rambo in 3rd gear low is great! I climbed some pretty steep and rocky stuff in New Mexico. I definitely had to give some pedal power. But we did 14-16 miles on multiple days with them. Eliminated a lot of area we couldnt have otherwise. THis was in 2020 when the damn woods were crawling with people. If you get one, it needs to be a 750w mid drive. Battery life is pretty damn good on those. I still get 20-25 miles with hard use. Takes 4-5 hours to recharge.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Done.

Though, I thought it was less about "tell us what you think about e-bikes for hunting" and more about "tell us why you don't own an e-bike for hunting so we can better market/design them"? They can be a great tool under some circumstances but not all circumstances.

Who needs an E-bike?
Talk to the guy from Pocatello and get the motorized wheelbarrow thing that his wife and kids rode into the designated roadless area on the Sawtooth. The company told him it was legal…
E-bikes do not directly affect me in any way on at least 95% of the dirt I hunt and hike. But… E-bikes are still illegal on ALL non-motorized FS trails and road closures. Period. A Forest can do a site-specific travel management decision to allow it. However, no decision has gone through the NEPA process yet related to the issue anywhere in the entire FS. And in a related matter, the NPS is currently being sued from their decision a few years ago to allow E-bikes on certain trails within Parks. So the topic is far from over on various agency public lands.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't need an E-bike, I can drive my Toyota to anywhere I need to get to and then hunt from there. And also drink my coffee while getting to those spots.

Fatcamp

WKR
Why would I have one of those things when for less money I can ride a motorcycle? Honest question, are people afraid of motorcycles in a way they aren't of e-bikes? Just makes no sense to me. And I love my bike, but it cost $700.

ETA: Marketing nonsense, I left before done.

If you can uses horses I think you should be able to use E Bikes. Unfortunately Even if I could use an e-bike where I live the terrain is just too crazy for a bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
If you don't mind taking a few minutes we'd love to get that feedback in the survey too. We are seeking a variety of opinions from hunters.

LOL, yeah, i have two actually. I have a M2S 350w mid drive and a Rambo 750w Mid drive. The M2s is a 5 speed , Rambo is a 3 speed. I took them to New Mexico twice and i use them in the NC and SC mountains on trails. In 5th gear low the M2S is ok, while the Rambo in 3rd gear low is great! I climbed some pretty steep and rocky stuff in New Mexico. I definitely had to give some pedal power. But we did 14-16 miles on multiple days with them. Eliminated a lot of area we couldnt have otherwise. THis was in 2020 when the damn woods were crawling with people. If you get one, it needs to be a 750w mid drive. Battery life is pretty damn good on those. I still get 20-25 miles with hard use. Takes 4-5 hours to
Your experience is very insightful and we'd love to hear about it in the survey if you've got time. Thanks.

Bbell12

WKR
If you can uses horses I think you should be able to use E Bikes. Unfortunately Even if I could use an e-bike where I live the terrain is just too crazy for a bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Completely disagree. Horses are primitive and Ebikes are not, two totally different means of transportation that should not be counted as equal.