"Telling your story".... new article from Aron Snyder

Great write-up Aron.

I got tired of disappointing pictures from low-quality point and shoot cameras, and invested in a decent camera last year (NEX6). My father-in-law taught me how to shoot in RAW and develop pictures in Lightroom. I carry a small zoom lens for walkaround pictures and a fast (large aperture) wide-angle for camp pictures, low light and night time photography. On some trips I carry a Gitzo Mountaineer tripod for low light shots. My total setup probably weighs 3 1/2 pounds, and is worth it to me. I get crazy about weight in almost every other area so I can indulge this hobby.

Now I have good pictures to match great memories.

Eric

Can someone explain to me how to take photos in RAW? I googled my camera's capabilities just now and see that it is capable... I have a Panasonic FZ-100 and I UNDER USE it's full potential in that I only take regular photos...

I assume that several of the photos in this article are taken in RAW? Or is there more to it?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Nick,

RAW data is the actual data coming from the sensor without any processing, so the colors haven't been rendered, the sharpening hasn't been done, the noise hasn't been reduced, etc.

It is a "digital negative."

An out of the camera (OOC) JPEG is a processed file that is processed by the camera's processor.

Some cameras only output processed jpegs, but better cameras allow the use fo the raw data.

You have to have software that will process your camera's raw files. Most cameras ship with software to do it, and programs like Lightroom will do it as long as they have the information for your camera. If your camera is very new, you may have to wait for an update for your software.

Great write-up. Thanks for taking the time.

I have an Olympus Pen-1 (4/3) that I want to learn to use better. Currently just taking jpegs on the camera's built-in settings, but seeing better quality images like yours and others' on the site have me motivated to start editing raw files and step it up a notch.

JWP58

WKR
I have a canon DSLR with a couple of lenses. I still need to really work with it to get the best out of it, but so far just messing around has provided some decent pictures.
011_zps646c0eaa.jpg

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really need to get in the habit of taking a camera everywhere.. My memories are much better with a picture to remind me. ;)

What is your camera kit and how you change it around?
Assumptions Below:
Swarovski Spotter
APO Adapter
Olympus OM-D
a few lenses (best uses for what kinds? Most versatile, etc.)???
tripod(s)?

Thanks!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really need to get in the habit of taking a camera everywhere.. My memories are much better with a picture to remind me. ;)

What is your camera kit and how you change it around?
Assumptions Below:
Swarovski Spotter
APO Adapter
Olympus OM-D
a few lenses (best uses for what kinds? Most versatile, etc.)???
tripod(s)?

Thanks!

Swarovkski ATX

APO adapter

Sony RX 100 in belt pouch

Olympus EM1 in the pack

Lenses in pack: 12mm prime, 45mm, prime, 75mm prime.

That's my kit:)

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If anyone has info/advice on cameras, feel free to post it up on this thread. I get tons of questions on cameras, but I am by no means an expert.

I do feel that upgrading your camera gear is well worth the money, and at this point, I'm getting as much as enjoyment out of photographing other peoples hunts as I do hunting.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lenses in pack: 12mm prime, 45mm, prime, 75mm prime.
Still seeking to grasp lenses.. Man are there a ton of options...
These are fixed, yeah? What are your uses for each and why not a variable (i.e. 12-50mm) or something?

I do feel that upgrading your camera gear is well worth the money, and at this point, I'm getting as much as enjoyment out of photographing other peoples hunts as I do hunting.
I hear ya, but man this can get expensive fast!! : ) It might be cheaper to just buy you a plane ticket and have you come with and "document" our hunts! :)

I've even seen evidence that you can sure pack your share of the load and then some..... ;)

Last edited:
OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
At gym.....Army Joe will answer soon....I'm about to die on stairway to Jesus.

Joe knows more than me on camera stuff anyway! I just get lucky every now and then.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got the SONY RX100 II, which offers about 10% better low-light capture and a few other trick details.

One nice feature besides the added low-light is the LCD screen pops open and down to become horizontal, so you can put the camera is some low-lying angles and still have full view of your field of vision.

View attachment 12422

Cost roughly $750 (maybe $150 more than the standard RX100. Both models rock, IMO

Ray

WKR
One of the things that I have learned about this fall are the Pentax K-5, K-50, and K-30 DSLR cameras. They have been around for a while (2010? for the K-5?) and are weather resistant with weather resistant lens systems. They get very little play in various photography forums due to the Canon and Nikon kit system dominance. Watching a military photographer out in the sand bury his K-5 and a K-50 in dirt and then take them into the shower was an interesting youtube video. I flinched throughout.

I will be looking into the Nikon AW1 system for my always wet and muddy Alaska adventures. Since they just came out this fall the price should slowly drop over the next several months. And with a Nikon adapter a couple thousand different lenses will fit the AW1/J mirrorless cameras, but not be water proof.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Still seeking to grasp lenses.. Man are there a ton of options...
These are fixed, yeah? What are your uses for each and why not a variable (i.e. 12-50mm) or something?

I hear ya, but man this can get expensive fast!! : ) It might be cheaper to just buy you a plane ticket and have you come with and "document" our hunts! :)

I've even seen evidence that you can sure pack your share of the load and then some..... ;)

High Country,

So I've talked with Aron for countless hrs about photography and I've actually recommend a lot of his gear for him or we have figured out the best solution.

Primes - well there is always an argument about "zoom" or "prime". So there are some very key facts about a prime that make it an amazing choice over a zoom.
* Faster - most primes you can get down to a f1.8 or so and that allows you to increase your shutter speed greatly to "freeze" your image (better picture) or to deal with sun glare at 14K ft on a mountain and still have a fast shutter speed. OR you can go the opposite way and a small F-stop allows you to shoot in lower light without the need for a flash. Shoots wider open then a higher f-stop
* Less moving part - key for backcountry hunting. Dust, dirt, etc... can enter a zoom lens easier thru the moving parts.
* Weight and Size - with a Prime you get an all around smaller package for a lens. There are fewer working parts so less weight and mass of the lens

Those are just a few reasons for having and using a quality prime lens. Yes, you can get the same or close to the same results with a high end zoom but you will pay for it in weight/size and your pocket book

Add-on.... SOOO Olympus does now make an extremely impressive high end zoom that is a "pro" level lens (Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens)
. I know Aron would definitely get that if he did it all over again and run it side by side with a 12mm wide angle and the 75mm short telephoto. More then likely this is the setup I will be going with in the near future. Its a great all around setup and with a "pro" lens you are getting the protection and quality of a prime but in a zoom. You pay for it though haha

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
High Country,

In addition to ArmyJoe's info:

Primes also have the advantage in that their optical design is simpler and can be better corrected for abberations and distortion at their focal length, while zooms have to compromise their designs for multiple focal lengths. their faster (larger) aperture gives you faster shutter speeds, better low light photos, and shallower depth of field for those creamy backgrounds. Or you can choose to "stop it down" (make the aperture smaller) for maximum sharpness and deeper depths of field, but with a slower shutter speed.

Zooms are handy though because they reduce the number of lenses you need to carry for framing purposes.

Ray,

Those Pentax cameras are tough, but many of the upper end Canons and Nikons are similarly sealed.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's a good approach to slowly wading your way into this?
Buy just the camera body and then pick up lenses as needed? If so, what is a good first lens?
Or buy one of the available kits and go from there? Using the OM-D E-M5 as example, which kit would you recommend starting with?

Thanks!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
One of the things that I have learned about this fall are the Pentax K-5, K-50, and K-30 DSLR cameras. They have been around for a while (2010? for the K-5?) and are weather resistant with weather resistant lens systems. They get very little play in various photography forums due to the Canon and Nikon kit system dominance. Watching a military photographer out in the sand bury his K-5 and a K-50 in dirt and then take them into the shower was an interesting youtube video. I flinched throughout.

I will be looking into the Nikon AW1 system for my always wet and muddy Alaska adventures. Since they just came out this fall the price should slowly drop over the next several months. And with a Nikon adapter a couple thousand different lenses will fit the AW1/J mirrorless cameras, but not be water proof.

Pentax are nice cameras but the limited lenses available is what kills them. They are rugged and their sensor are top notch for an entry level DSLR but not being a major system it has its limitations. One way around that is using a Metabones attachment. It allows you to use other manufactures lens on the Pentax. Its a quality piece of gear and 95% of the time AF and all IS will work without issue. Just an idea if you ever go with a Pentax