"Telling your story".... new article from Aron Snyder

Lukem

WKR
The other side of the picture issue, particularly if you're going to take the time to shoot RAW, is the editing software. I know some of the stock ones will do it, but investing a little in a quality program is well worth it. I've been playing with PS Elements for about a month, so I'm no expert, but know enough that what you can do with some of the stock programs (iPhoto, etc.) is a far cry from what any of the Adobe programs are capable of. There is a definite learning curve to the programs, but it's well worth it.

I purchased the Sony NEX6 with the understanding that if I wanted to I could adapt it and fit the A mount lenses to it.
I figured this would open up a lot of lens options as I "grew" into this photography thing. Am I mistaken?

No, you are not mistaken, you can use almost any DSLR lens on the NEX6 with an adapter.

I really enjoy shooting my NEX6. For me, the problem with the NEX system isn't lens availability. I have the very good Zeiss 24mm 1.8 lens along with the 15-60 kit lens. There are some great new lenses for it, some released in the past two months like the Zeiss 16-70 and the Zeiss 12mm 2.8. (I already have the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 and it's a good lens.) There are several other Zeiss prime lenses already available for NEX. But, they are expensive for what they are (i.e. 1.5 crop factor lenses). Still, the form factor and low weight of the NEX camera is excellent and I will be acquiring those lenses at some point in time.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, as CT said, the lenses for the E mount lenses for the NEX are expensive, but you can attach a lot of A mount with the adapter.

When comparing this to the Olympus, they had at least 4 times the E mount lenses AND the option of the A mount.

This isn't saying that the NEX is bad, but I feel the Olympus is a better option because of everything listed above.

Aron, I don't disagree with you. The Olympus is a nice camera and I wish my NEX had the same weather sealing. I am looking forward to the next generation of mirrorless cameras that (hopefully!) will have all the best features from these cameras, including great form factor, a large sensor, and weather sealing.

Best,
Eric

Upon further thought, I'd also say that if my job depended upon getting good pics in the backcountry, I'd have the Olympus with it's weather sealing/lens selection over the NEX. I'm strictly a recreational guy out there . . .

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's worth mentioning that the Oly is almost twice the cost of the NEX, so that makes a big difference too.

Eric,

Call or text me. I lost your # and need to chat about next season/dates.
Upon further thought, I'd also say that if my job depended upon getting good pics in the backcountry, I'd have the Olympus with it's weather sealing/lens selection over the NEX. I'm strictly a recreational guy out there . . .

Ray

WKR
Ray,

Here is a Nikon D3s torture video

Great...you just made me cry. Dude, that's a $3000 camera.

On another note. Looking into this whole weather sealed mirrorless "stuff" I came across the recent review of the Olympus OM-DE-M1 by Steve Huff.

Looks like after my pack situation is resolved I will still be needing to set aside funds while waiting for sensor technology to squeeze just a little more out of itself.

It’s been talked about a bit on this thread but software really helps bring out the wow factor in an already good photo. In the last few years I've been getting into software, HDR or high dynamic range software and a bunch of others. I’m finding that software is what really helps bring out what I see and or the feeling and emotion of the experience. I’m also finding the use of software in being able to take old pictures both early digital and pre digital. Taking out dust spots, noise, correcting sharpness or making contrast changes,toning, lighting, color just to list a few. The list goes on and on on what photo software can do. For me software and learning how to use them is almost as important as camera choice and composing good photos.

1_zpsed739775.jpg

2_zpsc597f356.jpg

3_zpsf829a3c3.jpg

4_zpsa1819c87.jpg

5_zps0d087bab.jpg

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s been talked about a bit on this thread but software really helps bring out the wow factor in an already good photo. In the last few years I've been getting into software, HDR or high dynamic range software and a bunch of others. I’m finding that software is what really helps bring out what I see and or the feeling and emotion of the experience. I’m also finding the use of software in being able to take old pictures both early digital and pre digital. Taking out dust spots, noise, correcting sharpness or making contrast changes,toning, lighting, color just to list a few. The list goes on and on on what photo software can do. For me software and learning how to use them is almost as important as camera choice and composing good photos.

1_zpsed739775.jpg

2_zpsc597f356.jpg

3_zpsf829a3c3.jpg

4_zpsa1819c87.jpg

5_zps0d087bab.jpg

Can I call u at some point?

Thinking I could learn a bit:)

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kevin,

What setup are you using? Also, whats a good software program for the beginner?

Thanks!