"Telling your story".... new article from Aron Snyder

Kevin,

What setup are you using? Also, whats a good software program for the beginner?

Thanks!

The camera I use most is a heavy Canon 60D and I shoot in RAW. I also have some heavy Canon lens depending on how and what I wanting to take photos of. I’ve bought several digital cameras and upgraded in the past and I’m sure I will in the future seeing some good light weight and weather resistant options. As noted in the thread above RAW gives me the most flexibility in bringing the information out out of the photo. I think software will help bring out good or better results in any of the cameras listed in this thread even if they don’t have a RAW option.

Many times I'll use more than one software on a photo at time. It's kind of like a recipe. Each picture is a bit different and it depends much on what kind of look you want. I work at one of the big tech companies out my way and I’ve been blessed to try out, get discounts or get software free. I work on a Apple Mac platform but all the software I use works on the PC platform too for the most part. I started on iPhoto on a Mac. For a beginning Mac person that works ok but it only can get you so far in what’s out there in options.

The HDR software I use, mostly for landscapes is called Photomatrix Pro 5. I also use all the Topaz labs photography software. I also have Google’s Nik collection. They all have free trials and free tutorials to see if it is something you want or not. It has become somewhat a challenge and an obsession for me but learning and seeing what some of the photography software can do is just pretty cool.

Lukem

WKR
Great work Kevin! Any way you could post a before and after edit of one of the pics, just to get an idea of what a difference it is?

Great work Kevin! Any way you could post a before and after edit of one of the pics, just to get an idea of what a difference it is?

I'll post a couple of the before and after or the normal exposure picture without editing and the final photo later tonight. My before and after workflow is on the computer at home. It's a real big change and it still blows me away what the software does with a picture straight out of the camera or some bracketed ones.

BigDog00

WKR
First off, I'm starting to wish I had never found this site. Its really beginning to cost me a lot of money. On the other hand, after reading the article and this thread I'm really beginning to look into a 4/3's setup. I have always wanted to get into the DSLR market but the size of those camera's have scared me away somewhat. I would like to take on hunts, ski trips, vacations, etc and want a smaller package. I can see having multiple lenses but I'm not sure I'd want to haul them around on backpack hunts. I have a very limited knowledge of camera equipment and editing software, but have messed around with Photo Shop a little bit. I would like to start taking better pictures while out hunting and the old point and shoot just doesn't get it done.

With that said I've looked at the camera recommended by BB, the Panasonic GF3. Ebay has a ton of them and from anywhere around $125 on up. I've found some bodies that come with a 14mm "prime" lens (~$250), 14-42mm f2.0 lens (~$200), and with both lenses listed (~$360). All are panasonic lumix lenses. After some research it seems that these packages are priced very well. If the lenses are bought seperately we're talking anywhere from $200-$1000+. I understand that the quality of the lens dictates the price (and visa versa), but I have no idea whats considered cheap vs. good.

Are the lenses I listed worth getting? Should I just get the body and look at other lenses? I understand this is more of a entry level body, would this work for a few years while trying to dig deeper into the camera world? And, finally, is the Swaro APO adapter the only digiscoping adapter for DSLR, 4/3's camera? I have a Vortex Razor 85mm spotter which I plan on using for digiscoping and don't really want to haul around two different camera's if possible.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Bigdog,

The body you are looking at is pretty entry level, but I think you would be pleased with both the stills and video. It is definitely a LOT of camera for what is essentially compact camera money.

It is not Aron's Oly OMD which is about as high end as 4/3s get, but still offers some great images.

Either the prime or the kit zoom (14-42 f3.5-5.6) will work to get you started.

My recommendation is to get a basic body like the Panasonic and get comfortable with shooting. Get into a few useful lenses, and upgrade your body when you are ready.

A word of caution about eBay cameras: Many are in tough shape and/or have really high shutter counts, so buyer beware.

Here are some examples I have, before and after edits. Some examples are a bit more subtle that others. Sunsets and sunrises are the most noticeable using HDR. It's capturing the foreground as well as the background of the sky, color detail and sun setting to more to what the eye sees.

Before edit normal exposure
IMG_9786_zpsf9d3b838.jpg

After edit with HDR software, normal exposure, over exposure, and under exposure bracketed photos.
1_zpsed739775.jpg

IMG_0340_zps65e972af.jpg

After edit with HDR software, normal exposure, over exposure, and under exposure bracketed photos.
2_zpsc597f356.jpg

Lukem

WKR
Here are some examples I have, before and after edits. Some examples are a bit more subtle that others. Sunsets and sunrises are the most noticeable using HDR. It's capturing the foreground as well as the background of the sky, color detail and sun setting to more to what the eye sees.

IMG_9786_zpsf9d3b838.jpg

1_zpsed739775.jpg

IMG_0340_zps65e972af.jpg

2_zpsc597f356.jpg
Thanks Kevin! Those are fantastic! Definitely a lot of information stored in a photo file. It is incredible what talent with both a camera and software can do. It's not about spending a bunch of money on one or the other, you have to know what you're doing at each step. Very good!

Great discussion!

In addition to having a good camera and good software, the rules of composition are extremely helpful for shooting interesting photographs:

1 Rule of Thirds
2. Golden Section Rule
3. Leading Lines
4. Framing
5. Depth of Field
6. etc.

Ray

WKR
A tip for writing, or word processing, I have started using Google Drive. Using "cloud" based software allows for portability across devices.

For shear punishment I can work on a document on my phone while waiting on a flight if the airport has wifi. Or work on it while at my desk during lunch. Or at home on the weekend using the clunker PC.

I bought my wife a cannon T4i for christmas last year.. Is that a good camera for this kind of stuff with the right lenses?? I am considering getting one of the cameras you posted in your article but if the t4i is good for this kind of stuff i may just get another lense or two??

Also what would be a good software to get?? I plan on taking some classes to learn this stuff b4 my moose hunt

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
Those photos Mr. Root posted are incredible. Anyone know if the camera is capturing 3 different exposures in HDR mode? In other words would one import three photos or one photo into the software/program for editing?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Looking at the depth of his HDR I would say he shot a 3 photo bracket and then imported the 3 into a HDR software and did some PP.

In camera HDR works well but to get results like that it's best for a 3 or 5 photo bracket and software

shaun

WKR
Wow first time reading articles and skimming this thread. Think I am going to be taking up a new hobby

Those photos Mr. Root posted are incredible. Anyone know if the camera is capturing 3 different exposures in HDR mode? In other words would one import three photos or one photo into the software/program for editing?

Thanks for the nice words on the pictures tm7554.

What armyjoe notes is correct. What cameras do on their own with HDR is not what I did on the photos. I used software called Photomatix by a company called HDRsoft. I've tried a couple other HDR softwares but I like this one the best so far for HDR software. I used 3 photos to make the one picture and then some more post processing. Their site shows a bit more detail on it and a bit more on the process I'm kind of doing with it.

http://www.hdrsoft.com