Temps and weather (and sleeping bag recommendation) for SW Montana Archery Elk

TheCougar

WKR
I'm archery elk hunting the last two weeks of September in the mountains east of Bozeman, generally speaking. I expect to be between 6-9000' feet for the majority of the hunt. What can I expect in terms of weather, mainly highs/lows and precipitation? A little research showed that there's about an inch of moisture in September, and the average high is 72 and the average low is 40 in Bozeman. So I'm assuming highs in the 60s and lows in the low 30s in the mountains around 7k? Should I expect snow or thunderstorms, or is the precip just normal rainshowers? Is this summer any different than normal?

I'm strongly considering a Sheep tarp and Borah bivvy as my primary shelter, with a synthetic 30 degree sleeping bag as what I will take with me (I'm flying in, so I'm limited by what I can bring). Thoughts on this set up in terms of being sufficient for the anticipated weather? My other option is an MSR Hubba Hubba that weighs 5lbs and is on its last legs.

For a sleeping bag, my options are:
Marmot Lithium 0 degree down bag ("the oven") - 2#13oz
Mth Hardware HyperLamina Torch 0 degree synthetic- 3# 13oz
Or possibly buying a lighter synthetic bag (reference the above tarp/bivvy combo)
Anyone know of a good synthetic 20 degree bag that is better than TNF Cat's Meow 22 (2#4oz) $170 or Marmot Trestles Elite Eco 20 (2# 6oz) $160? I could use a bag that isn't an oven and is a little lighter.

Last edited:
I hunt around a lot of the state, based in Missoula. Weather is always a concern, you could be in late October hunting without a shirt and post holing through snow in mid September, really hard to say. Maybe some others will chime in on this but I would pack my Marmot Never Winter 30 degree down bag and bring some long underwear in case it's hard to sleep in the cold.

I always like the room of a tent for possibly drying out gear and weathering a storm. Haven't spent much time under a tarp.

Hope this helps you a little.

Cheers

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I hunt around a lot of the state, based in Missoula. Weather is always a concern, you could be in late October hunting without a shirt and post holing through snow in mid September, really hard to say. Maybe some others will chime in on this but I would pack my Marmot Never Winter 30 degree down bag and bring some long underwear in case it's hard to sleep in the cold.

I always like the room of a tent for possibly drying out gear and weathering a storm. Haven't spent much time under a tarp.

Hope this helps you a little.

Cheers

This will be my first time going without a tent. It sounds like the weather is a bit of a wild card too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather can be a super big wild card. Keep an eye on the weather trend before you head out. Right now we are experiencing lower than normal temps. I'm hoping that means I can roll a fire on archery opener. Smoke hasn't been very bad this season though. so that's nice.

Are you against a down bag for your hunt?

cheers

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Weather can be a super big wild card. Keep an eye on the weather trend before you head out. Right now we are experiencing lower than normal temps. I'm hoping that means I can roll a fire on archery opener. Smoke hasn't been very bad this season though. so that's nice.

Are you against a down bag for your hunt?

cheers

Are fires and smoke a normal occurrence? I’m not against a down bag. With the sheep tarp and Borah bivy, I’m not sure a down bag is the best way to go. I was thinking a lightweight synthetic bag might be a good hedge in case I’m underprepared.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Fires and smoke are the normal, this year is predicted to be an average fire season, so far it’s been slow. Keep on eye on InciWeb for updates.
I have a place around Butte that’s at about 8,000”. In September i’ve been sweating in my bed one night and snowed in for a day or so the next, no way to predict until maybe a week out, and even then weird things can happen.
I’d go with the tent. I never mind carrying a little extra weight for the comfort/security it provides. But you won’t know how you like the bivy until you try it, Sept is a pretty good time to give it a go. Good luck either way.

Sheep tarp might help you survive but I’d get something more substantial for a primary shelter. You can get 8-10 tarps that weigh the same but actually have decent coverage for a little over $100. Wouldn’t want to be caught in a sept snowstorm in a sheep tarp and 30 degree bag.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Sheep tarp might help you survive but I’d get something more substantial for a primary shelter. You can get 8-10 tarps that weigh the same but actually have decent coverage for a little over $100. Wouldn’t want to be caught in a sept snowstorm in a sheep tarp and 30 degree bag.

Do you have a recommendation? Something else I’ve been thinking of is a rainfly only pitch for my Hubba Hubba. Weights more and less versatile - but it’s free! But for $100, I’d upgrade my tarp. My sheep tarp has been used once, so I could recoup most of the cost.

Norm555

WKR
I've been snowed on the last two Septembers in Southwest Montana hunting at similar elevations. You could get lucky and get good weather but I just switched to a 10 degree WM bag for this coming year. I get cold in my bag fairly easily though.

If you could do it over again, which would you choose? Cost is about the same, but the DST weighs 8oz more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do the same or spend more for a DCF tarp from zpacks, MLD, or HMG with additional side panel guy outs. I have floorless pyramids and a tarptent I prefer as a shelter to tarps so I don't use them as a sleep shelter. To me a tarp should provide weight advantages if used as a shelter and a 19+ ounce tarp is not a real weight advantage compared to other options i have. That said, the other options were more than $129 and as a primary shelter you might find benefits to justify the weight of the DST.

Trading the sheep tarp for a mountainsmith LT is a reasonable option IMO if you're looking for a dedicated shelter and don't want to spend money.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I would do the same or spend more for a DCF tarp from zpacks, MLD, or HMG with additional side panel guy outs. I have floorless pyramids and a tarptent I prefer as a shelter to tarps so I don't use them as a sleep shelter. To me a tarp should provide weight advantages if used as a shelter and a 19+ ounce tarp is not a real weight advantage compared to other options i have. That said, the other options were more than $129 and as a primary shelter you might find benefits to justify the weight of the DST.

Trading the sheep tarp for a mountainsmith LT is a reasonable option IMO if you're looking for a dedicated shelter and don't want to spend money.

I don’t necessarily want it for a primary shelter. I want something I can carry for 1-2 night spike camps or to carry for shelter when glassing or in case I get stuck out. It needs to be light or i won’t take it. I’m on the fence on what should be my next shelter upgrade. Right now I have an old 5# Hubba Hubba with leaky bathtub seams, an REI Kingdom 8 with garage for base camp, and a Kifaru Sheep tarp for emergency shelter. I’m intrigued by floorless, but accustomed to traditional tents. I also always need to run a nest unless it is freezing, as I have bad reactions to most insect bites.

I’ve considered replacing the MSR tent with a Cimarron and stove or nest combo. Also considered a new Hubba Hubba as the fly only pitch runs just over 2#. Everything has its drawbacks and strengths, and there doesn’t seem to be one perfect shelter for every situation.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

I supposed my criteria for a tarp would be: light enough to carry all the time, adaptability for pitch variations, and sized/configured for good intermittent short term use as a primary shelter.

The good news is that I already have a buyer for my sheep tarp if I can find a 10x10 replacement. How does the DST differ from a regular 10x10 tarp? I’ve found SO, BCO, LiteOutdoors, Tarptent, Jimmy Tarps, and Bearpaw all make 10x10 tarps. I’m not sure if any one of those options is a clear winner over the others. It’s just a square with guy points after all.

Last edited:
No experience hunting in that area but will answer generally:

The DST isn’t magic. The apex reinforcement permits some pitching using a trekking pole and center tie out. Apart from that, it is well built and reasonably priced. I like mine. There is a whole thread on some really cool pitches that would work for most any 10x10 that is worth checking out.

A few posters mentioned cuben / dyneema options. I picked up a few earlier this year in an effort to cut base pack weight for hiking as well as hunting. All of it - a ground cloth, tarp, tent - seems to work fine based on limited use. Half the weight for 3x the price. I am still a bit suspect of durability though. From what I gather, these ultra light hikers don’t bat an eye if their $300 tarp gets a hole or tear. A bit of tape or glue, if they fix it at all. I am used to more heavily built gear that rarely fails in the first place so I am having to adjust my perspective a bit. Can’t say for sure it is worth it but people are using it for a reason. If you have the coin, zpacks and MLD make some good stuff.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks for the input. I'm selling the Sheep Tarp and buying a DST. It looks like a pretty solid upgrade, even though it adds 8 oz.