Temps below sleeping bag rating

RCB

WKR
I tend to do a lot of late season rifle hunts, and it can get pretty chilly. To date I’ve always car camped, so I bring a big -35 degree Teton sleeping bag because I don’t have to carry it around and it was cheap. But I’m thinking of backpacking in this year, which has me thinking about staying warm. I have a 20 degree down bag that I’ve used many years for summer backpacking trips, but the areas I hunt can definitely get into the teens in November. And surely could get lower.

So my question is, how far below the comfort rating can I go with a sleeping bag? For example, can I bet on an extra 5 degrees by throwing on extra down puffy layers and such. 10 degrees? Would it be a miserable night? Would appreciate hearing about any hard earned experience and stories about what did and didn’t work.

In September I had some nights in the high teens, 30 degree REI down bag with Kuiu ultra down pants and pro down jacket. It was right on the edge of comfort and cold most of those nights.

If you have a warm pad that helps too.

Reactions: RCB

Rob5589

WKR
Only you can know, everyone sleeps different. Last year, 15* bag, pad with 4.9 value, in the mid to high 20's, I was plenty warm. I was sleeping in thermals, socks, and a hoodie to start. I had to take off the hoodie as I got too warm.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
You didn't mention if you are using a sleeping pad if not, get one with at least a 5-6 R value. The higher the better. The first time I used my 20* bag with a thermarest neo air pad I would wake up cold in the night when the temps were only low 40's /high 30's. YMMV. Then I did a bunch of reading online about pads and realized that was my mistake. Most recommend a R value of 4 for summer camping and at least 5-6 for late season.

You're in CO, I'm sure you have a few evenings coming up to test your setup in some fairly cold conditions.

Neo-Air Xlite, Kelty Cosmic Down 20, socks, mid wt merino bottom and top, klamath hoody
Toasty down to 25 or so. Haven't gone lower than that.

Reactions: RCB

ljalberta

WKR
I think I'm a colder sleeper in general. When dropping into the colder weather I will layer up in all my clothes, and usually I'll bring something extra to add some higher degree of insulation. Either a down throw ($20 at Costco and 15oz) which ill put inside my bag, or a woobie which I'll drape across over top. Either of these adds noticeable warmth. I'm also sleeping on an Xtherm pad. For me personally, some extra weight is well worth being warm and the better quality of sleep I get.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
Adding extra layers can allow you to exceed what your normal comfort temp zone is for the bag, BUT only if: 1) the bag is large enough inside to accommodate extra layers without compressing the extra clothing layers and loosing their loft; and 2) the down bag has differentially cut baffles (this means that the inner shell of the bag has a smaller circumference than the outer shell of the bag (this helps to not compress the loft of the sleeping bag, especially when you have more bulky clothing layers on and thus more likely to be pushing outward on the inner shell fabric of the bag.

Jimss

WKR
I prize sleep on hunts so staying comfortable while sleeping is high priority!

As mentioned above sleeping with a quality pad and wearing extra layers helps. All sleeping bags aren't created equally. If you have the best $ can buy it may be worth investing in a Western Mountaineering bag. From what I've heard their ratings are pretty much spot-on.

With that said, I'm a cold sleeper. I use a 0 degree bag in Colo, Alaska, and Wyo from August through the winter. If it's warm I often sleep on top of my bag or with the zipper unzipped and bag somewhat open. During the night if things chill down I have the option of zipping up. If super cold I wear more clothes andsometimes an additional bag over the top. If I'm backpacking and trying to keep bulk/weight to a minimum I may put my coat over the top of me in the sleeping bag.

tdot

WKR
As others have mentioned, it really depends on how you sleep. Take a moment to think about how you sleep vs. other people. Do you leave a window open at home, or crank the heat? Extra duvet or Birthday suit? This can help you assess how you sleep.

Aaron Snyder had an awesome podcast on Kifaru cast recently, on sleeping warm (or atleast not cold). I think he summarized in 30 minutes what took me 20 years to learn.

I personally sleep better in my base and/or midlayers. The moment I bump up to wearing outer layers into my sleeping bag, I just dont sleep as well. (I think its psychological). So I now pack an over quilt to boost the temp rating of my main bag.

I plan to have a bag that is rated above the lowest projected low, then the over quilt to boost the temp.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
You haven't mentioned whether or not your 20F down bag is EN rated. If it's not, I'd bet you'd only be warm in to the mid 30's when paired with an appropriate sleeping mat. Be aware, that sleeping pad standards are also coming in to play this season, you'll see EXPED and Thermarest both using a 3rd party standard for testing, Nemo, Big Agnes, and Sea to summit should be following suit as well this year or next

I tend to do a lot of late season rifle hunts, and it can get pretty chilly. To date I’ve always car camped, so I bring a big -35 degree Teton sleeping bag because I don’t have to carry it around and it was cheap. But I’m thinking of backpacking in this year, which has me thinking about staying warm. I have a 20 degree down bag that I’ve used many years for summer backpacking trips, but the areas I hunt can definitely get into the teens in November. And surely could get lower.

So my question is, how far below the comfort rating can I go with a sleeping bag? For example, can I bet on an extra 5 degrees by throwing on extra down puffy layers and such. 10 degrees? Would it be a miserable night? Would appreciate hearing about any hard earned experience and stories about what did and didn’t work.
You’d be miserable. Maybe not die but damn sure won’t sleep! Buy one of those BA inserts is my advice. Great for summer camping, light, and can be used to add another 10 degrees of comfort.

Love this one...

*zap*

WKR
So, wearing extra layers or adding a blanket or quilt inside with you is a good reason to really know what dimensions you need in a bag. Lets face it, camping out in the back country and hunting can be physically debilitating and a good nights sleep is very important. I am looking to step up to a high end down bag sometime soon and will go for a lower temp rated and larger bag. There is a lot of talk about bag material and temp rating but dimensions are really very important...and you will only know what you really need by using a few different bags while camping in various conditions. YMMV.