Tenmile vs mark5hd

Hey so is the ten mile line of scopes any good haha? Thread seems to have derailed hard. I sold my razor lht a few months ago after having it since they came out. I have a credo 1-6 that has been amazingly durable so I'm considering another trijicon to put on my hunting rifle.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
The T3 Lite with 20” barrel in 6mm, 6.5, or 308 with suppressor and 20-24oz scope and lighter bipod will be right at the 12lb mark, take the bipod off and your in the 10lb range. That setup is an extremely solid field rifle, and is way more practical as a general purpose mid to longe range, all around tool than the PRS things being built and used now ...

A 10-11lb suppressed, compact, 6mm or 6.5mm is extremely hard to top from a portability/shootability/lethality view. It why almost everyone I’m around has ended up there.
Thanks for the nudge, Form.

Current progress - Tikka T3X Superlite, 6.5 Creed, KRG Bravo, Hardy Covert suppressor. Barrel cut and threaded so the thread shoulder ends just in front of the fluting - this ends up with about a 20.5" barrel. Currently has a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 x 44; lusting after that ZP5 with THLR reticle ... just need to do the maths to work out what total weight that would bump it to.

All up (currently without front swivel socket, scope caps, bipod adapter & bipod, or sling), this is sitting at 4.495 kg, or 9.91 lbs.

Tikka-SL-Bravo-LRTS-4.5-18-May-2022-adj-sml.gif

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks for the nudge, Form.

Current progress - Tikka T3X Superlite, 6.5 Creed, KRG Bravo, Hardy Covert suppressor. Barrel cut and threaded so the thread shoulder ends just in front of the fluting - this ends up with about a 20.5" barrel. Currently has a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 x 44; lusting after that ZP5 with THLR reticle ... just need to do the maths to work out what total weight that would bump it to.

All up (currently without front swivel socket, scope caps, bipod adapter & bipod, or sling), this is sitting at 4.495 kg, or 9.91 lbs.

View attachment 410921

Have you gotten to use this? Thoughts?

Dobermann

WKR
Have you gotten to use this? Thoughts?
Not yet ... the LRTS is in T084s, which don't give me proper sight picture in this configuration. (Work fine with an SWFA on a standard T3X in 223, but just not for the LRHS in the Bravo, for some reason).

Wasn't sure whether to go for a higher set of the Sportsmatch, or get both the medium and high Mountain Tactical mounts - or all three options - to get the right height.

Any thoughts on those options?

Anyway, should be able to get them in by the end of the month, and then some range time to tweak, get ballistics, and so on.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not yet ... the LRTS is in T084s, which don't give me proper sight picture in this configuration. (Work fine with an SWFA on a standard T3X in 223, but just not for the LRHS in the Bravo, for some reason).

Wasn't sure whether to go for a higher set of the Sportsmatch, or get both the medium and high Mountain Tactical mounts - or all three options - to get the right height.

Any thoughts on those options?

I’m always trying to use the rail provided, over adding another, but either way will be ok for that setup.

Hey so is the ten mile line of scopes any good haha? Thread seems to have derailed hard. I sold my razor lht a few months ago after having it since they came out. I have a credo 1-6 that has been amazingly durable so I'm considering another trijicon to put on my hunting rifle.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
For real.

Me browsing threads: "Awesome, I've been curious about both of those product lines. 6pages. This ought to be good. "

Me leaving the thread 6pages later: "nuts"

For real.

Me browsing threads: "Awesome, I've been curious about both of those product lines. 6pages. This ought to be good. "

Me leaving the thread 6pages later: "nuts"
I read the whole thread…I am just hoping the Tenmile is good stuff since I have one coming monday - the 3-18x50🤷🏻‍♂️ Lots of interesting stuff in this thread, but the tenmile vs Mark5hd wasn’t one of them🤣

Where is that tony moderator dude who micromanages the threads to keep them on topic?? Lol

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Have you ever been in the military? Have you gone through the scout sniper program or had any special forces sniper training?

You're trying to tell us that the people in the military who's sole job is being a sniper doesn't practice their craft even though their life depends on it?
Have you ever listened to a real US military sniper describe how little ammo they get to shoot?

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. My wheels are turning...

I think I could make a good COF for a group of friends, but some of my ideas could be harder to adapt for a full match where we normally squad RO. Thinking mostly single target & position, two shots to clear, 4 or 5 shots allowed, 5 second penalty per miss, 20 for not clearing. Appropriately challenging positions and targets being a given. Would ideally run it blind, which makes it harder to setup.

I'd probably do a weight and muzzle device limit. Probably not any power factor. I get the power factor, but annoys me a little I have to pull the Dasher barrel I actually hunt with off my hunting rifle and put on a 6.5x47 barrel to make PF for NRL Hunter. But I CAN put a Little Bastard on it, and will need to if I want to be on equal footing.
I have been thinking about putting together a similar small field match in Michigan. Partially obscured targets, life size targets (prairie dogs to elk), 1-3 targets per stage, 2 shots per target (to show control vs luck throwing lead), blind stages, any man portable gear you want, deploy on the clock, hump all your gear around the property so excess is your personal penalty.

There is enough wildness to the property that your choice of position should be up to you not solely a contrived position all the time. Tripod/pack, sticks, tree, …prone. Natural obstacles near the shooter or down range will dictate what wirks hopefully more than ehat the shooter is most comfortable with.

Ranges would vary from 100yrds to 1100 yards with most in the 300-600yds

Scoring has been a conundrum for me. Longer timed stages because of the blind aspect but I like the Time+ idea. Also thought of doing penalties for misses such as 2pt for 1st hit, -1 pt for a miss and +1 pt for second hit. Simple scoring to keep track of and prioritizes ethical shots in the field (knowing your limits, building better positions, etc) Max of 2 shots on target means a max of 3pts for 2 hits. Walk away after one hit penalizes you for praying for a hit but pushing over your skill/luck makes you go negative.

PS
Also interested in the 10Mile for a lighter weight build after Forms review but would like to know where the glass quality compares to thers like the Mk5 or Razor Gen2 because it is my second highest priority in a scope.

There’s really three main discussions, the first is scoring system, the second is match layout/stage design, the third is the equipment that the match drives. They are all interconnected, but somewhat separate.

The reason that most matches have turned into barricade and tripod benchrest matches is because shooters didn’t want to work. Shooters didn’t like matches were the winner was only getting 50-60% of the available points, they wanted matches were most shooters get a majority of points, which means that the gap between scores is small. People HATE offhand stages, or stages where they can not use any artificial support- they removed those. People also HATE timing out, so they made par times ridiculous- which allows stupid setups to be used. So matches started tailoring the events to be a game, where people feel good about themselves; it also makes it easy on match directors and stage designers- remove novelty and it is much easier to design stages.
The scoring also drive it to be that way, as Ross stated, you don’t even need to be able to call wind- get it from other competitors, or because you are free recoiling a 30lb rifle that barely vibrates- just watch the trace of the first shot and extrapolate from there.
This resulted in matches where you step up, throw the game changer bag down, lay the rifle on it, shoot. And once stages become that, what you really need is an F-Class rifle. And that’s what it has become to a large part- a 6mm, supported F-Class Match at varying distances. Then the “sponsored” shooters really hit. Everyone and their brother with a jersey that looks like a prostitution billboard. And because they are “sponsored”, they really need to win- which is where you get to Frank at SH discussions on their behavior. Even at local matches it happens.

All this is to say- that what once were “sniper” matches, has turned into a standing, kneeling, prone F-Class match using purpose built, wholly unpractical rifles and equipment. AND that’s ok. There’s nothing wrong with a true game- PRS is golf with rifles. The issue is that it is driving things in the practical/hunting world by osmosis, and that is an issue. Almost every new piece of gear is PRS derived- scopes with reticles that are invisible at low power and that have no ruggedness to them. Metal chassis for everything, because no one holds a rifle in the cold. Rifles built around shooting off of tripods, because most game stands around for two minutes while you set that up, etc. etc. There are lots of people that talk about the issues with PRS/NRL and NRL Hunter was an effort to help some, and may have a little bit, however all the break off matches and clubs, etc. are PRS shooters, reinventing PRS.

Most of that could be fixed with three things-

1). Time plus scoring- your score is the time is takes to hit all targets.

2). Stages designed where the majority of shots are not prone, and the positions are awkward and uncomfortable.

3). Every piece of gear used for a stage must start in your body and be stowed- no preset tripods or bags.

4) Realistic weight divisions- light rifles aren’t 12lbs.
Awesome post.

I would think a study of 3d's in the bowhunting world for successful formulas to attract more hunters to shoots out of hunting season, with hunting focused gear, might not be a bad idea either. That type of competition seems to have stood the test of time and figured some things out. Seems to me a lot more guys who bowhunt will 3d to stay hunt sharp than rifle hunters will PRS to stay hunt sharp?

Distances to typical time of flights would be one to look at, hunters seem to stay in a certain range of time of flight, bow or gun, maybe that's not discussed enough but something to look at further.

Another big one is in 3d they use full size game targets, which give more realistic references afield in measures and a more realistic hunting simulation where the hunter can get more in the zone mentally and apply that personal pressure of trying to catch that kill zone (not the pressure of a podium), which is the whole point of attracting hunters to shoots outside of hunting season imo. Maybe they can have levelled/layered rings type scoring gongs behind the kill zones of life-size animal targets to match how things are counted in 3d also...10 ring etc?

Just thinking out loud about what it would take to get me to even look at spending time outside of my own limited field prep time that would make the trip worthwhile to stay hunt sharp and prepared for the upcoming season. PRS isn't it and you stated exactly why.