Tension release as a reverse thumb button?

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Is it crazy to think I can use a tension release as a reverse thumb button for hunting situations?

I have a Carter wise choice and a Stan Onnex tension release but of late I find that I have much tighter groups with the Onnex. Because of that I have started playing around with pre-loading tension and slowly releasing the thumb button with pretty amazing results and I simply can’t find a reason not to use it that way for hunting and I’m hoping someone can talk sense into me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
No not crazy at all. Couple years ago a guy won Vegas shooting like this with a Spot Hogg Cascade. I have shot like that myself with the Stand resistance release. Truball has an index setup that activates this way as well.

Interesting concept I found by accidentally setting a silverback tension release way too light (went from a bow with 80% letoff to 75%, a learning experience). I thought of it as a "relaxation release" method similar to letting the pointer finger relax on a hinge. For hunting I have no idea what to trust as I'm as green as the buttons on here and haven't shot anything other than a target for the last year.

OP
Christopher.Reed

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting concept I found by accidentally setting a silverback tension release way too light (went from a bow with 80% letoff to 75%, a learning experience). I thought of it as a "relaxation release" method similar to letting the pointer finger relax on a hinge. For hunting I have no idea what to trust as I'm as green as the buttons on here and haven't shot anything other than a target for the last year.

From one newb to another; it works… kinda.

Long term I found that it’s much harder to control the tension applied to the release using this method and it caused me to over-torque which led to some really strange flyers. Also, I use a Stan Onnex tension release and found that by applying too much tension the string would occasionally get caught on the tip of the release claw (no idea what the piece that latches to the d-loop is actually called so claw it is ) causing some even crazier flyers.

Because of those random “whoopsie” moments I have switched back to my thumb button (Carter wise choice) and am using it almost like a tension release for hunting season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddigman3

FNG
I would never hunt with a tension release the way its intended to be used just due to differing pressure on the backwall during stressful situations and getting ones to fire early or way late. This is actually a pretty genius way to use one. Its almost like a reverse punch. If you can handle it and shoot it well who gives a damn what others think. Let er rip bud!

Casey F

FNG
Anything is possible, but if that was me I think I would start punching the release (safety) every time