Tent consideration: double wall/single wall and condensation

RSC12

FNG
Hello,

Rookie question. I'm looking to purchase a new lightweight tent. I am debating between the Seek Outside Eolus, and Tarptent StratoSpire 2 or MoTrail. Any advice on shelter would be appreciated so feel free to school me on this. My actual question is however how important is it to have a single wall vs double wall shelter. All tents have tub floors and bug nets which I appreciate for ticks, bugs etc during the spring/summer. The MoTrail however is only a single wall so I get that there will be more condensation that could possibly become annoying. I did however score a Mountain Hardware Gortex Phantom sleeping bag so I'm wondering if condensation is really a concern as the bag should be able to handle a bit of water. Is this a misguided thought? I just like the idea of the MoTrail as it is lightweight and smaller footprint. I already have a 6.5lb Marmot limelight 3p tent that I can use if the weather is expected to be really bad so I'm trying to fill the gap and get a lighter/smaller 2p setup that can still fit 2 guys when we are trying to save weight.

Thanks for any help,

RSC

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
If trying to save weight, floorless tipi and mid styles are good options, but the bugs become a huge problem if they are really bad where you're at. I have a seek outside little bug out that is ok for 2 guys, a cimarron would be better. I have had some episodes with condensation, but all tents condensate, the double wall just keeps you away from it. If you just don't touch it, and raise the bottom off the ground a few inches for ventilation, it is manageable. I recommend an ultralight bivy to save your sleep bag. Floorless is an art that takes some practice, i would take it on a couple fowl weather camp trips and just test it out. A wood burning stove is nice too and helps with condensation. The tent debate is never ending, I think everyone has tried a couple and none are perfect Good luck

I almost picked up a used SS2 the other day. Instead I got a giant family / car camping Kelty lol, I won’t need the UL for some time. If I were buying for this year I would have either grabbed that SS2, or a Dan Durston X-Mid2.

I’m sure you’re already aware 2P tents are not particularly well suited for 2+ gear (the SS2 is a rare exception). Add 3 man tents to your search. The lighter alternative is to get a bivvy and throw some Tyvek under it for your “floor” under a floor less shelter. I find bivvy’s a bit too coffin like, but to each his own.

Follow ULGeartrade on Reddit - you may spot a smoking deal. Lookup the Sierra Design High Route if you’re able to access Expertvoice (40% off, open to a ton of different easily browsable/joinable groups). Big Agnes Tigerwall 3 or Copper Spur 3 if you want freestanding. Prioritize what is important knowing you will have to compromise elsewhere.

Last edited:
Between the SS2 and the MoTrail, my main questions would be 1: do you mind an end entrance and 2: do you want more vestibule space. The Stratospire gets you some additional comfort beyond just the double wall with side entrances and vestibule space. No way would I want to share the Motrail with another dude, no problem in the SS2.

The Eolus is a nice tent that is less intriguing IMO if you want bug protection. It is lighter and more cost effective than the TarpTent options if looking at going without a bug net. I think you'd get a little more head/foot space in the stratospire.

That gore bag should be very resistant to condensation but it still sucks when everything gets wet. I also don't think it makes sense to have both a gore bag and a bivy.

The MoTrail is fine, and I don’t love the front entrance, but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker. The SS2 is just so much roomier for a very minimal weight gain. XMid2 ticks that box as well, and I think those are only $280.

If you decide against a Floor/Mesh inner I would just get a Mid tarp, you should be able to find one for a lot less than the Eolus.

The MoTrail is fine, and I don’t love the front entrance, but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker. The SS2 is just so much roomier for a very minimal weight gain. XMid2 ticks that box as well, and I think those are only $280.

If you decide against a Floor/Mesh inner I would just get a Mid tarp, you should be able to find one for a lot less than the Eolus.

The Sil Eolus fly is $199. I doubt there is equal quality Mids for notably cheaper.

OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Awesome guys, thanks for the reply. I'm definitely tempted with the flourless shelter and would have no issue later in the season when the bugs aren't as bad but it would be a no go for my wife or rest of the family during the summer. I'm more paranoid about ticks than mosquitos. The SS2 or Aeolus seem to be the tents of choice so far. I know the Eolus can be used either with the nest or just as a tarp. Can the SS2 be used just as a tarp as well and leave the nest at home if I wish? I am a member of experticity which opens up brands such as Big Agnes and Nemo, I just thought the TarpTent and Seek Outside used a little more durable materials that might hold up to bad weather a bit better. But I'm definitely up for suggestions. I know this is a topic that has been covered endlessly but its fun to research and hear opinions. Thanks again. R

LionHead

WKR
Seek outside LBO,

it's the glock of floorless tipis. It'll get you in the game. Doesn't cost a lot, weighs around 2# kit'd out, trekking pole pitchable, comes from a reputable company and has accessories for any mission.

Base+vestibule will fit you and all your gear with 360 wind protection.add a nest if it's buggy. You can add a stove but I like a stand-up shelter for that (redcliff). Two guys Is doable but gear is outside. Personally I like for just me only.

Tell your buddy to buy another base and you'll basically have a cimmaron, which I still like for its own merits.

But what the LBO base gives you is a 1# day tarp that is trek pole pitchable, 3 sided tipi for sun/rain cover and emergency bivy. I sold and later repurchased the LBO just to get that feature back.

Example: last week me and my buddy hiked in 7 miles dropped cimmaron camp at 9000ft. We each day hunted from there up around 1000ft, no tree cover or shade. Pulled out the LBO base for sun shade at my glassing spot and again for the afternoon thunderstorms.

So even if I'm not using the LBO as my primary shelter the base section comes with me everyday.
e719b19e0e3613f0e2e553739661db1e.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

The SS2 can be used as a fly only. IMO if you are wanting to go floorless you can spend way less than an Eolus for the same (or better) coverage and weight. I don’t know enough about Seek Outside to say anything negative about their products, but there is unequivocally better value available from Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Durston Gear, etc. My main guess as to why is simply that the UL backpacking companies are simply moving more volume. I also speculate that gear specifically marketed to hunters has a higher price tag because these companies know their customer base has more $ (although I have to imagine some of these "thru-hikers" that do nothing but hike/instagram/blog are straight up trust fund babies).

I’m also on Expertvoice and was semi-tempted to swing for a Big Agnes - but the main problem is lack of inventory. There are very few attractive options in stock. The options that are attractive (which I have turned on email notifications for when they return to being in stock) cost nearly as much as an SS2 even at 40% off. The Tiger Wall 3 UL is in stock at $269 and is very tempting at that price. I question both how well it will work at 6’3, and the durability.

Nemo would be a no brainer if the tents I have notifications for come in stock because the MSRP is more reasonable, AND the discount is 50%.

Edit to add that the both the weight AND cost of the Big Agnes options become slightly less attractive when you add in the footprint. The floors are supposedly 20 denier and flies are 15D (SS2 is 30D for both). That info is not readily available on the BA website (like it is from basically every Cottage Manufacturer). Another number the SS2 tops the BA on is 3,000mm hydro-static head (AKA "waterproofness") versus 1200mm for the BA. The UL nerds of Reddit basically summarize BA as a company that cuts every corner to win the spec sheet battle, but the real life product is not as good as it appears to be on paper. I highly recommend just googling StratoSpire 2 Reddit, those nerds really have a wealth of good information. That advice applies to basically any piece of gear you are interested in, but primarily to stuff that has a following with UL backpackers.

Last edited:
OP
R

RSC12

FNG
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely still on the fence a little but am drawn more to the Eolus just for simplicity and durability (no zipper, and the trekking pole insert cone appears more robust like it might actually accept a stick or something if you ever needed to in the field. I also like the fact the poles are in line which seems to give more headroom. I could be wrong on all accounts. I'll check out the LBO as well but the cost savings on the Eolus are something to consider. Does anyone know if Seek Outside ever has any sales or anything?

Thanks,
R