Tent construction and ease of heating.

Ordered an Arctic Oven igloo along with a nu-way vented propane stove on Friday for my deer camp in MN and WI. Can get cold at night, especially during the later Wi season. All reviews I can find indicate The Nu-Way should be plenty to heat the AO and will run all night

Fast forward to the next day and I found a Cabelas Instinct Outfitter 10x10 with stove jack in excellent condition for on CL for $300, with 2 cots and a camp table thrown in for fun.

Slighlty bigger than the AO igloo & a similar concept (dome tent with rain fly& stove jack), but for a solid $1600 discount. How well do you think the Cabelas tent will do with the Nu-Way down to ~ 5f?

I guess the big question is how big of a factor is the Vapex material on the the AO in holding heat? Or is it all really in the double wall construction (tent body&rainfly) instead?

Plan on keeping both tents BTW, as I was trying to come up with a second heated shelter for my brother anyway.

akrdkill

WKR
the vapex holds heat very well & sheds condensation.....with 3 people in tent & rainy weather there was a noticeable warmth from outside air to inside tent....I ran a buddy heater in mine & it would heat up instantly....I recently sold mine as I hated having to get on the ground to open the fly vestibule & get my back & shoulders wet when getting out of igloo....

blackdawg

WKR
I think the difference will be huge especially when the Arctic Oven is still going strong 10 years from now and the el cheapo tent has given up. But a deal is a deal and you could buy a lot of propane for the difference. I think the Dual burner nuway will do just fine, there hasn’t been a time where I could run both burners continuously in my oven even if I was buck naked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Both tent\stove combinations worked well with lows usually in the 20s F this year. One night we got into the teens and still no issue. We both kept one burner going at various levels, with bother burners running on full out of the question at those temps.

I would say my brother used more propane in the cabelas tent.

The biggest factor seemed to be snow piled up on the bottom of the flys to prevent drafts. Twice we received snow overnight and I woke up in an oven and had to turn the burner down to cool off.

I imagine the cabelas tent will be plenty warm with the heater. When it goes out it will cool quickly though. I just did a trip with my cabelas guide tent and the mr buddy heater. It was just a few degrees below freezing. In the morning I would reach over, turn on the buddy and my lantern, pour a coffee out of my thermos and stay in bed. By half a cup of coffee it would be plenty warm to crawl out of the bag and get dressed. I never ran the buddy during the night and used 2 sleeping bags to stay plenty warm.