Tent for Alaska

So what is your go to setup for AK? I’m moving to AK and want to make sure I’m gtg in the shelter category. I have a SO cimarron, Cabelas guide 8 man for the family, and a 3 man BA copper spur north high gets little use.

The cimarron feels a little small sometimes. I would like for it to be comfortable for two minimum.

Am I crazy to even be asking for one setup hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
I'd suggest that you just bring what you have now, use it up here, and go from there. Alaska is an absolutely wonderful place with sooooo many options for you to experience. Who knows what you will be drawn to do when you get here? Just wait.

I have lived here for thirty-five years, and I have been a very active outdoor Alaskan....hunting for all that our state can offer, and remote pack-rafting, and fly-fishing. In direct answer to your question, I will say that my best and most used tent choices up here have been: NF Mountain-25, Hilleberg Staika, KUIU Mountain Star, and SO 4-man tipi with titanium wood-stove.

But like I said...just wait for a bit after you get here, and see what you are drawn to do! An advanced welcome to Alaska!

+1 to AKDoc for Hilleberg Staika.
How about the Hilleberg Tarra, Jannu or Keron GT?
Hilleberg is strong and heavy, but they do take a beating.

I run VE-25's for fly-in hunts. For backpacking, I just use a tarp. I'd go with AKDoc's recommendation and bring what you're currently using down south and then go from there.

AKDoc

WKR
+1 to AKDoc for Hilleberg Staika.
How about the Hilleberg Tarra, Jannu or Keron GT?
Hilleberg is strong and heavy, but they do take a beating.
I can honestly say that I owe my life to my Hilleberg Staika...

I've had it for nearly ten years, and it is my go-to tent for spring bear hunts and fall remote western Alaska 14-day drop-camps (seen below). I have used it in hellacious wind, rain and snow...and it has never let me down...ever!

Best tent I've ever owned...(but waaaay too heavy for sheep and mountain goat hunting!).

IMG_1225 (2).1.jpg

OP
M
I'd suggest that you just bring what you have now, use it up here, and go from there. Alaska is an absolutely wonderful place with sooooo many options for you to experience. Who knows what you will be drawn to do when you get here? Just wait.

I have lived here for thirty-five years, and I have been a very active outdoor Alaskan....hunting for all that our state can offer, and remote pack-rafting, and fly-fishing. In direct answer to your question, I will say that my best and most used tent choices up here have been: NF Mountain-25, Hilleberg Staika, KUIU Mountain Star, and SO 4-man tipi with titanium wood-stove.

But like I said...just wait for a bit after you get here, and see what you are drawn to do! An advanced welcome to Alaska!

Thanks for your advice. We are getting very excited to be moving up. I think I’m probably a little more excited and I’m over thinking it. Or I’m looking for an excuse to buy a hilleberg

Do you guys go with the yellow or red for hilleberg?

AKDoc

WKR
Thanks for your advice. We are getting very excited to be moving up. I think I’m probably a little more excited and I’m over thinking it. Or I’m looking for an excuse to buy a hilleberg

Do you guys go with the yellow or red for hilleberg?

Just wait until you get here…get a feel for it…see where it goes for you…and then make your expensive choices.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My hilleberg allak has held up to some massive storms. It’s not very spacious though and it’s not light.

It’s good for float hunts when the weather might be rough and wright is slightly less of a factor. I’d like a nice floorless setup though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an SO Redcliff, SO Silvertip, and SO Silex. The SO Cimaron is a great option too and will work well (a friend has one that I have used). Give it some time, then decide what you want. There are lots of other gear items to eat up the budget up here too.

z987k

WKR
Run the tents you have for now. You'll be spending probably 20k+++ to outfit yourself with stuff you don't have anyways.

Plan on at least one of the following purchases.
Wheeler(s), Snowmachine(s), River boat, Ocean boat, Airplane/a lot of cash to a charter op that has an airplane.

OP
M
Run the tents you have for now. You'll be spending probably 20k+++ to outfit yourself with stuff you don't have anyways.

Plan on at least one of the following purchases.
Wheeler(s), Snowmachine(s), River boat, Ocean boat, Airplane/a lot of cash to a charter op that has an airplane.

I’ve been looking for quads to bring up, pretty much impossible to find right now. Sleds are on the list as well. Luckily my buddy up there has a couple planes haha but i expect to be spending significant money on charters.

OP
M
My hilleberg allak has held up to some massive storms. It’s not very spacious though and it’s not light.

It’s good for float hunts when the weather might be rough and wright is slightly less of a factor. I’d like a nice floorless setup though.

I think if I were to add anything to my floorless setup, it would be a liner, stove and possibly a nest. Haven’t needed those down here but imagine it would be useful in AK

z987k

WKR
I’ve been looking for quads to bring up, pretty much impossible to find right now. Sleds are on the list as well. Luckily my buddy up there has a couple planes haha but i expect to be spending significant money on charters.

At some point it just makes sense to learn to fly and buy an airplane.

skierhs

WKR
What are you looking to hunt or when/where? Are you going to be south central or up on the slope? Stoves can be super helpful but not always needed.

OP
M
What are you looking to hunt or when/where? Are you going to be south central or up on the slope? Stoves can be super helpful but not always needed.

I’ll be living around Anchorage, so I’ll be focusing in the nearby units this year, and then expanding next year.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Curious how your quest for the 'go-to' tent has been going?

I myself started that quest 4 years ago (also in AK) and so far seem to think I have only one "hole" I want to fill in the line up in the bomber freestanding 3+/4 season, light, 2 person tent for myself only (I'm 6'7" tall) that's long enough so I'm not touching the walls all the time. I prefer the exterior pole Hilleberg design/pitching.

Current debate is between Hilleberg Rogen or run a Jannu w/ no inner... Stone Glacier 2p (sling fin crossbow)... and a few others with various mods.
SlingFin stuff seems very well designed but not all are long enough inside and I prefer the exterior pole Hilleberg setup. Few tents like that are long enough without being very heavy/bulky when packed up.

Thinking about making a lightweight bathtub floor for the Allak/Jannu/Rogen to cut some weight by not running inner tent while keeping things pretty darn wind proof.

OP
M
Curious how your quest for the 'go-to' tent has been going?

I myself started that quest 4 years ago (also in AK) and so far seem to think I have only one "hole" I want to fill in the line up in the bomber freestanding 3+/4 season, light, 2 person tent for myself only (I'm 6'7" tall) that's long enough so I'm not touching the walls all the time. I prefer the exterior pole Hilleberg design/pitching.

Current debate is between Hilleberg Rogen or run a Jannu w/ no inner... Stone Glacier 2p (sling fin crossbow)... and a few others with various mods.
SlingFin stuff seems very well designed but not all are long enough inside and I prefer the exterior pole Hilleberg setup. Few tents like that are long enough without being very heavy/bulky when packed up.

Thinking about making a lightweight bathtub floor for the Allak/Jannu/Rogen to cut some weight by not running inner tent while keeping things pretty darn wind proof.

I’ve been back and forth on two different setups, the first being the SG 2p and the second being a more lightweight setup from hyperlite the ultamid 4. There’s things I like about both of them and things I don’t, I’m still weighing the options. I have a couple of tags this year that have me reevaluating my setup overall. I’d like to just buy once and be done, but I may need to buy twice ha. Luckily I’m not 6’7” so I should fit in whatever I end up with.