Tent for haul road

Planning on hunting the haul road in early August. Want to get a lightweight tent, I’m between a hilleberg ballot 3 get and a kifaru sawtooth. I’m thinking the Hilleberg is probably the better tent for that specific hunt, but that the kifaru (w mosquito netting) may be more versatile overall and am wondering if anyone who has done it can give me their thoughts?

Hello I see you are hunting the haul road in Alaska. I have done that hunt and can help you out if you have never done it before. Are you doing Archery off the side of the road or are you planning on hiking back the 5 miles to use your rifle?

Make sure to bring a pack raft. There always seems to be caribou on the other side of river when driving up. So if you bring a raft then it will give you another hunting option. Make sure to bring a Thermacell. I like the version that hooks onto the jetboil canisters. If you are hunting off side of road I always made a base camp on a pull off and road hunt. Also there is no wood up there so make sure to throw some in truck.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Low-profile Geodesic tents without fiberglass poles is a good start. Sustained winds can be brutal on the Slope with no trees to break wind fetch strength. If you have large dome tents, guy line stakes for the tundra (12-16" length spirals are my favorite) will help secure your shelter.

Tipi style works well in the wind, but wood is limited to dead willow branches so fires are unsustainable unless you bring your own wood from the forest on the South side of Atigun.

OP
A
Hello I see you are hunting the haul road in Alaska. I have done that hunt and can help you out if you have never done it before. Are you doing Archery off the side of the road or are you planning on hiking back the 5 miles to use your rifle?
Planning archery, I’d be ok w the hike out of the corridor but don’t think my 13 yo would have fun with that type 2 fun (yet).

Was looking at the Alpacaraft mule or caribou, thoughts?

Im pretty sure I’m going to go SG Skyscraper. Unless you think I could get by w Kuiu Summit refuge and its nest?

mooster

WKR
I used my tipi up in Noatak 2019 in very high winds, but did use the longer, beefier twisty stakes. We used a stove, burned it constantly at night in our tipi stove using dead brush limbs. We'd off pack lots of limbs back to camp after hunting all day.

I have an Alpaca. Would be good for two men & packs. You could go lighter w/the bou, and just use cordage to pull the raft to & from carrying one man @ a time.