Tent for Sheep

Would any of you take this tent on an Alaska Dall sheep hunt? My outfitter will have a tent for me but just wondering if I should take my own so I am familiar with the setup. Brooks Range in mid-August.

Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 2 Person Tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am researching tents as well and the Big Agnes tent I see come up is the Copper Spur and Fly Creek.
Haven’t seen the Tiger Wall mentioned but I’m going on my first sheep hunt this fall so wait to see what the experienced people say!

joshgrigg

FNG
Would any of you take this tent on an Alaska Dall sheep hunt? My outfitter will have a tent for me but just wondering if I should take my own so I am familiar with the setup. Brooks Range in mid-August.

I would say trust your outfitter. They know what performs best. I was up last august in the brooks and we got some rain every day. Our outfitter provided hilleberg soulos which were double wall with the rain fly attached. You could set it up in the rain without getting the inside of the tent wet. They were very sturdy and very easy to setup.

Good luck!

I would ask your outfitter what tent they're going to provide. Look into it and check it out. If you're 6'6" tall, you don't want to be locked into a tent that's going to be too short for you. Hille Soulo is a nice tent, but it's one of the heaviest solo tents around too. I carried one for a couple years and it's relegated to my late season, snow load tent.

OP
Marine4life
I would say trust your outfitter. They know what performs best. I was up last august in the brooks and we got some rain every day. Our outfitter provided hilleberg soulos which were double wall with the rain fly attached. You could set it up in the rain without getting the inside of the tent wet. They were very sturdy and very easy to setup.

Good luck!

You bring up a great point about the inner wall being mesh and getting inside wet while setting up. Thanks for the info.

Jimss

WKR
Are you sharing the tent or alone? If the weather is poor and you can't glass, etc you may be spending a great deal of time in your tent? Nothing worse than a tiny tent. I really like Nallos. There is plenty of room in the vestibule area to cook and store gear, dry clothes, etc. Many tents hardly have squat for a vestibule or none at all. The other thing I like about Nallo style tents is their walls are vertical rather than sloped. The floor space is a lot user friendly....especially if the sides of the tent is wet. A bath tub floor plus fly is extremely waterproof. Nallos are also 4 season so can withstand super high wind and snow. I also use my Nallo fly alone without the inner tent when I want to go super light. This fall I used just the fly on a bighorn sheep hunt and it worked extremely well.

Don't have experience with Tiger Wall but reviews and specs point towards it being a great balance of comfort and weight that compromises in weather resistance and durability. Unless you can find reliable first hand info to the contrary, I would be a little concerned with how it would handle crappy weather.

I chose to bring and carry my personal tent last year in the Brooks but the guide/packer would have carried a 2 or 3p tent for us if I wanted. If you have a similar option where you don't have to carry it anyway, I wouldn't take chances on weather resistance.

Last edited:
I used the Tigerwall with my first client last year in the NE Brooks. First time using it so it was my personal shelter. Client I provided a known tent that had been used on previous years hunt (Big Agnes Fly Creek II)

The Tigerwall’s design IMO was horrible. Zippers allowed rain/condinsation to run right down inner tent wall and get sleeping bag potentially wet, (mine didn’t because I use a 6oz Monte Belle waterproof/breathable cover). When you opened the zipper of the Tigerwall to exit, the cut of the door allowed water to drip straight into tent (has two zippers, one goes straight up the other across tent parallel to floor and they both meet in corner of tent)

I was not impressed at all. I wanted to try it and the next hunter I was back to my Hilliberg Akto and never looked back. Incidentally the second hunter asked me similar questions prior to coming up last year and he ended up bringing his own tent on my recommendations of what I used. It was a Hilliberg Akto.

Top single man Brooks Range early August Sheep hunts I have used and recommend:

Hilliberg:
Akto
Enan
Niak

Big Agnes:
Fly Creek 2

MSR:
Hubba

Kuiu:
Mountain Star 2

I like the Hilliberg Soulo, have one but it is a 5lb plus single man tent. Bombproof yes but not needed IMO on a August sheep hunt in the Brooks.

Last edited:
Are you sharing the tent or alone? If the weather is poor and you can't glass, etc you may be spending a great deal of time in your tent? Nothing worse than a tiny tent. I really like Nallos. There is plenty of room in the vestibule area to cook and store gear, dry clothes, etc. Many tents hardly have squat for a vestibule or none at all. The other thing I like about Nallo style tents is their walls are vertical rather than sloped. The floor space is a lot user friendly....especially if the sides of the tent is wet. A bath tub floor plus fly is extremely waterproof. Nallos are also 4 season so can withstand super high wind and snow. I also use my Nallo fly alone without the inner tent when I want to go super light. This fall I used just the fly on a bighorn sheep hunt and it worked extremely well.

Same here. Nallo GT vestibule is a palace. You could actually sleep three people in the vestibule. It's like having a two room suite in the backcountry that can handle feet of snow and 70 mile hour winds. And you set it up with the inner attached, so everything stays dry.

Last edited:
Full Circle : ) I'm still very happy with your Duomid.

In light of the duomid, I elected to go for the similar trailstar and it's great. Sheds wind, weighs 12 oz, and fits 3 and 3 packs.

I went another route and am back to using my Warmlite 2C. Tons of room for 1 and 2 could fit in if necessary. Goes up fast and is bomber in the winds.

Love the warmlite and I believe it may be the best go to for sheep hunts anywhere in the state.

Lastly, trust your guide, they know what they're doing. A big agnes tent is solid until you get gusts of 50 on top of the mountain with 35 degree sprays. Maybe slightly exaggerating, but it's always a possibility out there.

ColeyG

WKR
My sheep tents of choice are both Hillbergs, the Nallo 2 GT and the Anjan 2 GT.

In Hilleberg speak, GT means the extended vestibule model, which, in my opinion, is key for trips where you might be expected to have to spend hours in the tent during crap weather. Aka, sheep hunting. Being able to get my packs and gear out of the weather while still having room to cook under the vesti is super important to me.

I prefer to take the Anjan whenever I can as it is a pound lighter than the Nallo 2. Later in the season when the weather is worse and you might be dealing with snow, higher winds, etc. I take the Nallo as it stands up to higher winds and snow loading better. The two tents are basically identical but for the shell material and pole thickness with the Nallo being the "red label" (heavier duty) and the Anjan being the "yellow label," or less burly.

I am not a fan of all of Hillberg's tents, but this design in particular I have been super happy with and am very loyal to for two person mountain hunts.

Hillberg tents do tent to sweat or condensate more than some others I've used as some of their designs don't allow adequate airflow for periods of very high RH and/or extended mouth breathing time in the tent. I typically take a small sponge to help deal with that when/if the need arises. I have yet to use a tent that doesn't get a little soggy after a handful of days of rain and two dudes stinking it up inside though.

From my perspective, a hunter should bring all of his own gear and not rely on an outfitter for anything, other than logistics and hunting. Spend the time, money and effort to get set up in a way that will work for you. The gear you end up with after the hunt, specifically a backpack sheep hunt, will crossover into almost every other type of hunting. This recommendation also applies to bringing your own food. Regarding a tent....the Hilleberg Akto is close to the perfect choice.

The Slingfin would be a great solo tent I'd think. When I used to guide, I went on trips with the designer and owner of Slingfin. He's a tent genius and I'd trust my life in one of his designs.
They’re the designer (and im
assuming producer) of the stone glacier tents which people love, but haven’t heard much about the portal model. Pretty cool story about hunting with the owner. Also good to hear, firsthand, that they’re pro hunting. I’m sure you’ve got some great stories!

I was a fishing/rafting guide when we went out on trips, not hunting trips (Fish hunted :D). Martin did designs for the original Mountain HW team and we used to test out prototypes we'd all come up with around the campfires. He's a really interesting guy and loves all things outdoors. He won't settle for second best in materials and construction methods.