Tent for Sheep

From my perspective, a hunter should bring all of his own gear and not rely on an outfitter for anything, other than logistics and hunting. Spend the time, money and effort to get set up in a way that will work for you. The gear you end up with after the hunt, specifically a backpack sheep hunt, will crossover into almost every other type of hunting. This recommendation also applies to bringing your own food. Regarding a tent....the Hilleberg Akto is close to the perfect choice.

And most outfitters and guides especially, will be thankful you bring what works for YOU. The food thing especially. I encourage all my clients to at least tell me what they want for food intake on the hunt. Makes a much more enjoyable time for both guide and client.

Make sure if you do bring your own food to be compensated up to the cost of what the outfitter would have spent on your hunt for food. Do this prior to the hunt logistics planning. For AK hunts that is 1 July.

Make sure if you do bring your own food to be compensated up to the cost of what the outfitter would have spent on your hunt for food. Do this prior to the hunt logistics planning. For AK hunts that is 1 July.

Ha, never considered that. "that'll be $20k".. "Well mr. outfitter, i think you should deduct $160 for the 20 mountain houses I'm not going to eat"

Ha, never considered that. "that'll be $20k".. "Well mr. outfitter, i think you should deduct $160 for the 20 mountain houses I'm not going to eat"

Then don’t makes no difference to me. More money for my bonus anyway.

But Like me, some folks count every dime they spend and perhaps those that do didn’t know this was an option

Last edited:

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I'd throw the Niak into the mix. I enjoyed some time in that tent last year in northern BC looking for stones. That would be my choice for solo, unless it's going to be really ugly and I'd like some extra room. With a partner I like the Nallo 3 GT. Curious to those gents in AK running the duomid style shelters. I have a cimarron I use for deer / elk but I'm not completely sure how it would handle the winds on an open hillside above treeline.

IMG_5936[1].JPG

I'd throw the Niak into the mix. I enjoyed some time in that tent last year in northern BC looking for stones. That would be my choice for solo, unless it's going to be really ugly and I'd like some extra room. With a partner I like the Nallo 3 GT. Curious to those gents in AK running the duomid style shelters. I have a cimarron I use for deer / elk but I'm not completely sure how it would handle the winds on an open hillside above treeline.

View attachment 179949

Mid style shelters do exceptionally well in the wind, it’s the only type of shelter I use anymore for all my mountain hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk