Tent Help!

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Gents-
I packed in a 12x12 alaknak tent/stove this last 3rd season in Colorado I borrowed from a friend. We packed it in a few miles by horse (saddle panniers). The tent worked awesome- we did have to fabricate some perimeter poles as they didn’t break down small enough to put in the panniers. There was 3 of us total. I’m looking into purchasing my own tent but would like to buy something a little bigger than 12x12. It worked but something around 14x14 or a little bigger than that would have been more comfortable. My biggest issues... weight/ pole collapsibility. A typical canvas wall tent is just not going to work- I wouldn’t be able to break down the frame small enough and we don’t use a string of horses. Each guy rents one horse and we lead that horse in with our gear in saddle panniers. Can anyone recommend a good tent for my mode of transport? I’m not super into the tipis- feel like a lot of wasted space on the sides and I bring my father who is in his 60’s... constantly bending over is too much on him. Wish alaknak made a 15x15.... I’d like to take a look at the cabelas instinct outfitter 12x16, or maybe the big horn 12x14. I’m not sure if I could shave any weight off those tents. I have also considered the alaknak 12x12 with vestibule attached. Can’t find many reviews or pics on what that looks like inside though. Any other ideas out there? I’m not afraid to fabricate some pieces if need be! Thanks

Attachments

• 4B5249BF-8BC7-40CC-B594-BF6C735A706F.jpeg
    4B5249BF-8BC7-40CC-B594-BF6C735A706F.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 72

freebird

WKR
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a tent/shelter for colder weather. I more of less be car camping, set up a base camp close to where I would hunt and then either drive or walk to my spots. I don't have horses, ATV's. Was looking at wall tents, but that's a little more then I want to spend.

The only thing I could think is the seek outside courthouse.
And or each bringing your own shelter.
You cant really have huge and comfortable and small and compact both.
Things that do everything dont really exist.

mlgc20

WKR
I have the Cabelas Big Horn 3. It has plenty of room for 3 and a stove. But, I'm not sure about putting it's components in panniers. The 3 poles are pretty heavy and each pole is shock-corded with rounded elbows on either end. So, the overall length even broken down seems fairly long. But, I've never used horse panniers, so I may be underestimating what they can hold. If it would help, I can get you some packed measurements. I would certainly recommend the tent. And it's fine to throw in the back of my truck. But, I wouldn't be confident of throwing it on a horses back.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
@freebird - I will say for the alaknak it worked great in cold weather with a stove. A few days it got below 0. We slept on cots with an insulating pad on top of it. We stayed plenty warm

@BRTreedogs - ya I’ve looked at the courthouse... just a little on the small side

@mlgc20 - if you wouldn’t mind getting measurement of the packed down poles that would be great! My pannier is only 30” long. It could stick out a little but don’t want a whole lot coming out of the pannier.

Getting the alaknak center pole up wasn’t ideal- it breaks down but stuck out of the pannier a foot or so. I was thinking about fabricating a carbon fiber center pole that breaks down even more and perimeter poles made of carbon fiber. Anyone privy to how that would hold up in strong wind compared to the aluminum poles they provide? The perimeter poles we fabricated this trip were electrical conduit. If I made everything carbon fiber could save a ton of weight!!

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not sure of your weight or length restrictions, but the Montana Canvas Spike Tent may be something to look into.

The specs on the 12x12 are as follows:
- Spike III Relite – Tent is 26 lbs, Fly is 11 lbs, Tent and Fly frame is 18 lbs. Complete package with stakes is 86 lbs.

You could always forgo the fly to save a little weight if necessary.

Best of luck with your quest!

mlgc20

WKR
The Cabela’s Big Horn has 3 poles bundles. One middle pole and one on either end. The end pole bundles each measure about 29”x4”x4”. The middle pole bundle measure about 32”x6”x6”.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
@jjtt13 - oddly enough I actually was looking at those the other day. Do you know anyone who has one? Seems like a great option. I may reach out to them and see if they could do a custom size

@mlgc20 - thanks, much appreciated! That’s def doable... a lot shorter breakdown than I would’ve imagined