tent: man + dog + gear

7mag.

WKR
Have you considered the SL3? I use mine solo, and without the nest, and pole, it is pretty light. You can sit up in it.

That Seek Outside LBO I picked up seems very promising! Still need to pick up the vestibule for mine but it'd fit your dog and you quite comfortably!

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I've had both the SL-3 and Sl-2. The weights of the shelters themselves (not counting poles or stakes) are only 1.5 oz heavier with the SL-3 being 24 oz and the Sl-2 being 22.5 oz. I'd kept the SL-3 for a few reason.

1. The SL-3 right off the gate is 33% larger sq ft wise than the Sl-2. 1.5 oz buys you 15 sq ft.

2. Poles take up space in a shelter. You are always working around them. The less poles in there the less you gotta work around.

3. The profile of the SL-3 tipi is much better suited to buck the wind compared to when I had my SL-2 in the wind. In fact the SL-3 is IMO far and away teh best floorless shelter GoLite makes for bucking the wind. The 4 sided and taller SL-5 that is my favorite shelter can't compete with a hexagonal lower profile of the SL-3 even though it does fine in 35-40 mph if guyed out securely.)

For one guy and a dog the SL-3 will be a palace for all your gear both of you and still have plenty of space to cook and what not.

OP
fillthefreezer
well im bringing this back up as i havent made a decision yet.
keep coming back to the super tarp and the SL3 but cant decide.

some of my unknown is i end up above treeline with switching winds alot it seems, so thats my hangup with the super tarp
im 6' and ive heard youre feet can rub on the walls of the SL3?

last its gotta be light enough to not just pack the SL5, like around 2lbs...

I got an MSR hubba hubba two person. It's not the most compact or lightest but I really like it. I'm 6'-4" and it has plenty of room for me and all my crap, good size vestibule on each side, high enough for me to sit up easily. Put it through hard rain, snow, and sleet and everything stayed tight and dry. Easy to set up, easy to move, fairly cheap @ $230. There are a number of ways to configure the tent to save weight. ie only use the poles, fly, and footprint to make a shelter.

owyheerat

FNG
I would suggest this tent / shelter; http://tarptent.com/stratospire1.html. I own the bigger model (strat 2), and absolutely love it. It can be set up as a tent with liner, or just the liner without the rain fly (for warm starry nights), or without the liner, just the rain fly as a floorless shelter. Very good quality, made in the USA. Fly only set up weighs about 1lb (I don't know exact weight). Dual entry, dual vestibules, no poles inside to get in your way. Makes it very easy to get in and out of. Tall enough to sit up in. Very good wind resistance (multiple guy line attachment points).

Durwin