tent: man + dog + gear

so i know theres been lots of tent threads on here lately but im still all over the place.
im looking for a solo shelter with room for me, gear, and my dog.
i like the looks of the paratarp, mountainsmith, maybe even the appy 3man that showed up recently.

cheap as possible but i have tendancy to just replace it if i buy something cheap so good quality.
would like to be able to sit up in it too which is why i havent just bought a paratarp.
extra points go to fully enclosed and also under 2lbs all up.
plan to use on shorter banzai trips, summer scouting, and solo trips up to october.
2 people or expecting bad weather and i will bring my sl5.

thoughts?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
If your going for you, dog and gear, PLUS cheap - I'd look at the mountainsmith. Its right at 2lbs and plenty of room for all of that stuff you want. The para would be good if you want to pitch it open but if the weather got bad it would be very cramped.

OP
fillthefreezer
correct me if im wrong but the supertarp doesnt really gain anything in sit up room correct?
to me the megatarp just seems so overkill for solo

armyjoe

Super Moderator
the super tarp when pitched will give you 10" more sit up room on the front pole then the paratarp. The rear height is the same both.

The mega tarp is mega in all ways. Its really large and even with a dog you might be swimming with extra space. Could come in handy though if you get rained on and need to lay some gear out to dry.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
correct me if im wrong but the supertarp doesnt really gain anything in sit up room correct?
to me the megatarp just seems so overkill for solo

I'm 5'11 and can easily sit up in my supertarp towards the front. If I remember correct the front of the super and mega are the same height. Super is the perfect solo shelter.

Have you considered something like this? I have no experience with it but it has picked my interest for sure. Comes in at 2lbs. if you are already carrying trek poles.

BA Scout UL2

JG358

WKR
I'm 5'11 and can easily sit up in my supertarp towards the front. If I remember correct the front of the super and mega are the same height. Super is the perfect solo shelter.

I didnt like only being able to sit up in the very front or having to crawl to grab something out of the back of the supertarp. I'll take the mega every time over the super, well worth the extra couple onuces IMO.

Super tarp is better for solo. Mega better for more guys. My opinion. I use a super tarp for solo! Love that shelter. So light and awesome!

part of my apprehension with the megatarp is 1: the price, 2: the size of area needed to pitch

I actually envision much less problems with pitch location with a large floorless vs. a tent setup. Really you only have to have a level place to sleep, pitch it higher than needed, or with more or less guy line usage. That's more envisioned with the super tarp than the mega but since I have limited experience maybe someone else could chime in here. I know what you're fearing though, been in the same woods as you and oftentimes there's more trees than you're hoping for!

Mike