Tent or tipi question

Jaker_cc

WKR
Hey guys I know this has been discussed and I’ve searched and read all of what I can find but I’m needing some advice.

I’m starting to hunt some later season stuff and have a need for a 4 season shelter. Temps could be down in the single digits and snow is probable, need something that can sleep up to 3 guys in a pinch with gear and stove, but would mostly be used for just 2. Light would be nice but it isn’t a deal breaker. I’ve looked at the Seek Outside tipis and the Kifaru tipis as well but have no experience with them. The only hang up is I’m 6’4 and my hunting partner is 6’3, we would like to be able to stand up and get dressed.

What is everyone using as a 4 season shelter? Anyone have an opinion on wether the seek outside or Kifaru tipi is better?

amp713

WKR
I'd recommend the luxe octopeak if you can deal with not standing upright. It is a lot of room without a stove, enough room to use a stove and fit a few guys depending how much you like each other, snow skirt options, can be set up with 2 trekking poles and isnt all that heavy..can add inner tents for base camping in hotter weather too

cmahoney

WKR
You could probably do it in the redcliff, near the center. I’m only 5’8” so I can’t say for sure but mine with the large SO stove has plenty of room for 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
had a buddy that was using the 4P seek Tipi. He said it was around 20 years old and looked to be in great shape. He loves the thing and it was really roomy even with a stove.

rayporter

WKR
I have 2 kifaru tipis because seekoutside did not exist when I bought my tipis. I started with an 8 man and eventually sold it and got a 6. then about a dozen years ago I got a 12 man to go with the six man.
you can fit 3 in the six but it is crowded. 3 in people in 8 man is ok most times, but that is why I got the 12, because I like the room. with an 8 or a 12 you can stand and put on clothes without hitting the sides.
you can stand in a 6 man but cant put on clothes with out hitting the sides.

get an 8 or a 12 and don't look back. in either you can store firewood and gear and chairs inside and, well you the idea.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you do the math, a Redcliff or 4 Person will have 1 to 2 square feet of area taller than 6 feet. A 6 person has around 7 square feet, an 8 person has 23 square feet, and a 12 person has 61 square feet of standing area.

Consider that if you're using a stove the stove will probably soak up some of that standing room since it's centered in the tent.

Going from a 4 to 6 is a good increase in headroom, but going from a 6 to an 8 feels like a major change.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Have SO 6 man hot tent combo. I am 6'1" and have plenty of room at center. It is a lil cramped with three guys with gear and wood though. Don't get me wrong, it works great and it was purchased for just two of us and now a third guy is starting to go so maybe an upgrade is in the works. We will see.