Tent or tipi recommendation

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey guys. New to a lot of the tent systems. But I’m gonna be doing some out of state whitetail hunting this year. Thinking of picking up a wood stove and a tent or tipi. Nothing crazy needed just something budget friendly. It will be just myself using it for now. Just trying to be more comfortable for out of state hunts. Any recommendations?

Geewhiz

WKR
Most often "hot tent" and "budget friendly" don't go together.

Look into luxe tipi tents and wild wild west stoves for what might be your best value. SJK also makes what seams to be a decent budget tipi.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah I get that. Just don’t need a titanium stove. Or a super expensive shelter. Those seem to be up my alley. Thanks for the tip.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kodiak canvas with a buddy heater and two carbon monoxide alarms. Don't run the heater all night, just enough to warm the tent up while you're awake

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Man I can’t trust the buddy heaters I had one this spring catch fire on me. Only used it three times.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
In hot tents budget friendly is relative. $195 for a Seek Outside Silex or $285 for a Silvertip is not too bad. Then just go with a cheaper stove.

Given reviews of Luxe's customer service, I personally would spend more.

If you don't like the SO, you can return or resell and not be out much. Good luck with either of those options with a Luxe.

From their return policy "To be eligible for a return, your item must be unopened (never set up/used indoors or outdoors)."

Their warranty is as much of a joke as their return policy. "There is no warranty on stakes, poles, stove mat, storage sack/straps or stove jack." And "3W and X3 Stoves have a 1 year warranty. This covers manufacturing defects on the main stove body only (not glass, door, pipe, knobs, rings or storage sack), but not any of the small items on the stove."

Geewhiz

WKR
In hot tents budget friendly is relative. $195 for a Seek Outside Silex or $285 for a Silvertip is not too bad. Then just go with a cheaper stove.

Given reviews of Luxe's customer service, I personally would spend more.

If you don't like the SO, you can return or resell and not be out much. Good luck with either of those options with a Luxe.

From their return policy "To be eligible for a return, your item must be unopened (never set up/used indoors or outdoors)."

Their warranty is as much of a joke as their return policy. "There is no warranty on stakes, poles, stove mat, storage sack/straps or stove jack." And "3W and X3 Stoves have a 1 year warranty. This covers manufacturing defects on the main stove body only (not glass, door, pipe, knobs, rings or storage sack), but not any of the small items on the stove."
I know they call the silex stove compatible but I would say not a chance unless you want to fry your sleeping bag.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I know they call the silex stove compatible but I would say not a chance unless you want to fry your sleeping bag.

It would be tight. Having a DCF Silex I don't have a stove jack, but personally I think a stove would work (though depends on the person, my hunting buddy is a former Marine and by his own admission "just breaks shit" I don't think it would work for him). A Silvertip would be significantly more comfortable for one person with a stove. Foolishly, when I ordered my Silvertip years ago I did not get a stove jack as I told myself 'it will be years before I can afford a stove.' now, years later, I really need to send it back and have one added.

PSX_20210910_100540.jpg
DSC_0506.JPG

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Cheapest would be to sew a stove jack into a conventional tent of your choice—aka a hot tent conversion.

An added bonus is most condensation in hot tents comes from the uncovers ground.

rootacres

WKR
Maybe look at the Luxe. Or try to scoop up a SO tent off the classifieds.

Are you planning on backpacking in or mostly truck camping?

Some horror stories on here of Luxe and their service.
Look at the Slumberjack Outpost - it's $150 and often on sale at $120. Lifetime warranty too.

Some good reviews on here from other members. They have installed stove jacks.

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I encourage you to check out a Tentipi Nordic tipi. It's not cheap by any means however, more of a buy-once-cry-once purchase, but most of us eventually learn that's the best approach long term anyway.

Jkean949

FNG
I found a cheap hot tent that I used in the Bighorns last years Peregrine HT. I held up to some pretty good winds, kept us dry for two guys packs/gear. Single layer tent condensation drips as expected...very lightweight and packable. It wasn't cold enough to warrant the stove being used. A lot of material stretch after a few days, but as I understand it with the type of materials used this is expected.

RCB

WKR
Single digits and windy...hot tent or 4-season?
In my limited experience- that’s exactly the kind of circumstances where it’s really nice to have a stove :) but, if it’s *very* windy and/or there’s a risk of lots of snow, a 4-season tent is probably more reliable.

Jkean949

FNG
In my limited experience- that’s exactly the kind of circumstances where it’s really nice to have a stove :) but, if it’s *very* windy and/or there’s a risk of lots of snow, a 4-season tent is probably more reliable.
If you have the room it's tough to argue with a straight wall and a wood stove, but with the backpack/tipi setups...I am still not sold. It comes down to space and when the stove is out when you're low to the ground you really miss that 4-season tent stopping air flow.

Redrice

FNG
Not sure of the budget or if you plan on hiking to a camp spot but if wheeled access is available a small wall tent like the 'Go tent" from Davis would be easy to heat with a small stove, and though just you for now, might accommodate an extra in a pinch. I have no affiliation with Davis but have experience with their products