Tent or tipis, or old trailer?

S-3 ranch

WKR
Dang shame, my trailer needs replacement, and the budget is looking like it’s down to a nice wall tent or tipis , my last tent was a 10 man Colman and the sun ate it up ,
any recommendadtion on a tent or tipis that will make for semi long term and easy for 1-2 people to erect
in Texas I feel a A/C & wood stove are needed
maybe I should build a shed instead?

I’ve seen some pretty awesome camping trailers built out of enclosed cargo trailers. If you didn’t do too much permanent stuff inside you’d also have a useful cargo trailer. A roof top ac wouldn’t be too expensive or difficult to put in yourself.

OP
S-3 ranch

S-3 ranch

WKR
Davis Tent can make AC vent holes in there tents. Need electricity to make it work for an extended period of time.
I got electric and water,
I’ve seen some pretty awesome camping trailers built out of enclosed cargo trailers. If you didn’t do too much permanent stuff inside you’d also have a useful cargo trailer. A roof top ac wouldn’t be too expensive or difficult to put in yourself.
yeah I have made some nice campEr out of a car hauler, that’s my next option after a tent!
Texas is in a oil field so campers and rv’s are selling @ a major premium
plus since last year inflation is whooping up things

Yeah, plus Rvs and camping in general have just gotten real popular again. Like most things I blame the internet. Crazy the prices people are getting for used trailers. If my wife didn’t like our trailer so much I’d gladly sell it and build out a cargo trailer that I think would be better and cheaper but you win some you lose some…

I camped all summer in the 80s in a two horse trailer. The feed bunks made a fine kitchen. The other stall fit a bunk nicely. A tarp covered the bigger holes during the windy rain storms. You just had to herd the bigger chunks out at the beginning.

BDRam16

WKR
If you’re camping at the truck and those are your options, wall tent all the way. No sense in saving weight and having to squat down in 3/4 of the tipi space when you could be comfy and have a ton of room to spread out in a wall tent.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re camping at the truck and those are your options, wall tent all the way. No sense in saving weight and having to squat down in 3/4 of the tipi space when you could be comfy and have a ton of room to spread out in a wall tent.
And in your opinion, why buy a wall tent instead of a trailer or cab-over camper for camping at the truck scenarios?

rayporter

WKR
i bought a 10x12 storage barn and had it dropped off at camp. easy to heat, even with no insulation. would be easy to cool.
i stole it for 1300 bucks but it sure beats hauling a trailer or pitching the tipi.

i would not have stayed with the tipi. i love it and it has its place but i would want a 12x12 arctic oven or a wall tent for a permanent or semi-permanent camp over the 12 man tipi i have.

it may not work for you but for the 2 of us the building is perfect.

Fordguy

WKR
I camped all summer in the 80s in a two horse trailer. The feed bunks made a fine kitchen. The other stall fit a bunk nicely. A tarp covered the bigger holes during the windy rain storms. You just had to herd the bigger chunks out at the beginning.
Can't tell you how many times I've done this. It works great. If also using the trailer for horses - Might be worth taking a 2 gal sprayer and some soapy water to spray out and air dry before you set up camp.

Gutshotem

WKR
Used a Kodiak Canvas 10X14 for the first time this year and was pretty impressed. Only issue we had was keeping the buddy heater lit at just under 10k ft.

I got to thinking a bit, I bought my custom built wall tent in the early 80s for about $500. In the middle 90s I bought a used pickup camper for $500. It came with a heater and refridge that didn't require any electricity.

One time I met a friend up Beaver creek near Quake lake. He had a modern, expensive truck camper with parts that traveled out. Beautiful, expensive camper but it required a generator for the thermostat. He froze to death while I slept warm and cozy.

A truck camper allows you to pull a trailer (horse or otherwise) while you travel to the remote end of the road.
Just another option.

If Im truck camping for longer than 3 nights, I prefer a trailer to a tent all day. Ive never had a new trailer. Instead my trailer experiences have been older basic models with no frills… with our latest one being a 17 year old offroad popup up. I like trailers over tents for longer trips strictly for sleeping conditions. The more comfortable I can be and the better rest I get at night, translates into better hunting energy the next day. I seem to get tired of a good cot and pad after about day 3. Being able to stretch out is nice. Also, its hard to overstate the benefits of getting your core warmed up in a cozy trailer vs. chilling in a tent. If you go tent, I highly recommend Kodiak. Lots of good options out there though.

And in your opinion, why buy a wall tent instead of a trailer or cab-over camper for camping at the truck scenarios?
Not this guy, but I have a similar viewpoint. After using campers twice this past season I'm not doing it again. Once was my parents, and the other time was deer hunting in Montana with my buddies.

1. Fuel economy sucks. Buddy had a 5th wheel and we used his 6.7 power stroke to pull it. Only a 26'. Averaged 11-12 mpg. I averaged 9-10mpg pulling my parents. With my bed loaded up with camping gear I still get 20mpg so fuel costs are doubled wherever I go. Not so bad if I'm driving an hour, but it turns what would be a $400 trip into an $800 trip.

2. Added stress of finding a place for the damn thing sucks. I like the freedom I have with a tent - if I can drive in I can camp there.

3. Maintenance, storage, tags, insurance. Self explanatory. On top of spending 20k-40k on a RV, now you got 2/4 wheel ends to maintain, lights, 2/4 tires to wear out and replace, leaks to tend to, need a place to store it, need to insure and tag it, need to keep rodents out of it. The wall tent costs 1-2k and that's the end. Not to mention the generator you need if you're camping off grid.

The ONLY advantage I felt with the trailer was that everything was "set up". Making "camp" became easier. The sleeping arrangements could be considered nicer, but honestly I've got a couple of bomb thermarest mondokings.

Don't get me wrong, in my experience there are some advantages... but they're not worth the hassle or the money. When you factor in fuel costs, the cost of the camper, and all the other shit you need(generator, fuel for that, etc) I'm pretty sure most people would be money ahead to just get a motel/hotel. I know on our deer hunt - even staying in a primitive campground without amenities - we would've been money ahead to stay at a motel... hell honestly it would've been nice to come back to a hot bed. I would've preferred my wall tent and wood stove... oh well there's always next year.

I would stick with a tent. Lots of good reasons already mentioned. I do have experience in a trailer/camper and I would not do it again. Granted it was single digits to below zero at night however the condensation/ice and noise of the generator drove me nuts. As well I was not liking the tiny house environment.

My buddies and I were able to pick up a 12×14 David Ellis wall tent with a cylinder stove for a great price. Though 2 people are ideal for set-up, I can do it solo. The only thing I plan do differently or experiment with in the future is the heat source. It's not fun waking up shivering so I want to experiment with coal once I get some good wood coals glowing. If adamant on some sort of floor, use a tarp or even lay plywood in the bed of your truck and pull it out for a floorings needed.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk