Tent recommendations for rifle in WY.

williaada

WKR
First time doing my own park and camp hunting trip. I have a regular 10 person tent, but do not know if this will work for the opener of elk rifle in WY. Please provide suggestions on the type of tent I should be getting, and other equipment I will need. Thanks

I like the Seek Outside or Kifaru tepee style tents with a stove. Light weight and effective. What part of Wyoming do you plan to hunt?

How many people in your party? If you just wanted to use a backpacking tent and a little grrr, you'd probably be just fine. If you went with one with a stove, there's lots of options and I'd say that many are about the same.

Search on here for Kodiak tents. I've had one for maybe 6 years and love it for truck camping with kids or hunting. Buddy heater and you're sleeping like a king.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I assume you are camping out of your truck. As long as your present tent is in good repair, has adequate space for your group size and is capable of surviving highly potential inclement weather (snow, wind etc.) you should be good to go. Of course, a big trip is always a good excuse to upgrade too :).

I like to sleep on cots, make sure your sleeping bags, pads etc. are good for cold temps. A source of heat in the tent is welcome. I use a Big Buddy and a bulk propane tank. Wood heat is nice if you're set up for it, but there is some work maintaining a fuel supply.

Of course some form of table and a way to cook is required. I've gotten pretty lazy on cooking, so I use a MSR stove and eat dehydrated meals for dinners (I throw extras in for some "in-camp" noon meals) and also have a few for breakfasts. For most breakfasts and lunch I go with cold stuff (sandwiches, nuts, jerky, granola etc.) which are easy to either throw in your pack or eat at camp in the middle of the day. Going this route has virtually eliminated the need for excess water for doing dishes (and lessened camp chores!) Although some guys prefer to go all out on cooking. I will have things like cheddar/jalapeno dogs over the fire on the first few nights as "fresh" food without dishes to do - haha! I have heard some guys say they get the runs from eating dehydrated food for a week, but I haven't had that problem. YMMV...

Camp chairs for hanging out at the fire are a nice add. I used to use Coleman propane lanterns for light, but the last couple of years I've been using a Goal Zero power bank, with a solar panel and LED lights. So far so good.

Of course there are lots of other things that are nice to have. But these cover the major needs...

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I assume you are camping out of your truck. As long as your present tent is in good repair, has adequate space for your group size and is capable of surviving highly potential inclement weather (snow, wind etc.) you should be good to go. Of course, a big trip is always a good excuse to upgrade too :).

I like to sleep on cots, make sure your sleeping bags, pads etc. are good for cold temps. A source of heat in the tent is welcome. I use a Big Buddy and a bulk propane tank. Wood heat is nice if you're set up for it, but there is some work maintaining a fuel supply.

Of course some form of table and a way to cook is required. I've gotten pretty lazy on cooking, so I use a MSR stove and eat dehydrated meals for dinners (I throw extras in for some "in-camp" noon meals) and also have a few for breakfasts. For most breakfasts and lunch I go with cold stuff (sandwiches, nuts, jerky, granola etc.) which are easy to either throw in your pack or eat at camp in the middle of the day. Going this route has virtually eliminated the need for excess water for doing dishes (and lessened camp chores!) Although some guys prefer to go all out on cooking. I will have things like cheddar/jalapeno dogs over the fire on the first few nights as "fresh" food without dishes to do - haha! I have heard some guys say they get the runs from eating dehydrated food for a week, but I haven't had that problem. YMMV...

Camp chairs for hanging out at the fire are a nice add. I used to use Coleman propane lanterns for light, but the last couple of years I've been using a Goal Zero power bank, with a solar panel and LED lights. So far so good.

Of course there are lots of other things that are nice to have. But these cover the major needs...
I'm looking at the Big Buddy heaters and see they may be problematic over 7000 ft altitude. Are you using yours below that or is there a model or upgrade for the higher altitudes?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the Big Buddy heaters and see they may be problematic over 7000 ft altitude. Are you using yours below that or is there a model or upgrade for the higher altitudes?

I've run mine at over 7K' with no problems. Not sure the exact highest elevation, maybe 8500'-9000' or so???

And I've heard of folks using them at over 10K with no issue.

I think it all has to do with the oxygen sensor shutting certain units down at higher elevations. I've heard you can tweak them to make them work to your advantage at higher elevations, but I haven't had to with mine. And those that have done so suggest getting a Co2 alarm, which I guess isn't a bad idea anyway. I don't run mine all night. I use it to knock the chill back and to enjoy the warmth when I'm hanging out in the tent. I'm a believer in having a sleep system that keeps me warm all night without running a heater...

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I camp 6 or 8 weekends a year in Wyoming plus usually a 10 day hunt. Been using a Kodiak swag bag. Excellent night's sleep in that, just too small. I picked up a 10*10 Cabela's instinct outfitters tent to try this year. They are $200 off right now at Cabela's and have a stove jack. Might be worth checking out.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I've run mine at over 7K' with no problems. Not sure the exact highest elevation, maybe 8500'-9000' or so???

And I've heard of folks using them at over 10K with no issue.

I think it all has to do with the oxygen sensor shutting certain units down at higher elevations. I've heard you can tweak them to make them work to your advantage at higher elevations, but I haven't had to with mine. And those that have done so suggest getting a Co2 alarm, which I guess isn't a bad idea anyway. I don't run mine all night. I use it to knock the chill back and to enjoy the warmth when I'm hanging out in the tent. I'm a believer in having a sleep system that keeps me warm all night without running a heater...
Thank you very much for your reply.

RCB

WKR
If you're just camping by the truck, I'd see no reason it wouldn't work, unless it's really bad in snow. You could upgrade to a floorless shelter to with a wood stove, but not necessary.

Fatcamp

WKR
Your tent will work just fine so long as you stake it down properly and run guylines. Wind might blow.

I would be hesitant to use a propane heater (or any other propane "appliances") in a tent for a couple reasons. The safety issue is covered here nicely, and I would take that seriously. The second issue is condensation from the combustion of that fuel and the fact that moisture typically has little chance to escape the tent/shelter. I've had cold weather trips in a wall tent where I could literally pour condensated water out of a wall tent.

That said, they do knock the chill out