Tent/Shelter for Caribou hunt

mcseal2

WKR
We used a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Instinct 6 man for 3 of us. Worked great. We were worried about the tipi in the wind, it would have been fine too where we camped. We had good wind protection. Ask your transporter.

mooster

WKR
We had tememdous winds. As you see in pic we were exposed. Tipi was fine. We did use twisted long stakes. 8 manTipi with stove was 13 lbs.

OP
GKWMontana

GKWMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you very much for the advice. I am looking to make a purchase and test during spring bear season.

Trial153

WKR
Last August. Great in the wind, no issue with bugs. If you go single wall bring a liner
819e622308851d36d1f58c6a9c262bf0.jpg
3d5b38da3678839b8078dd4476bc2123.jpg
d86806d915b9ccf92fdc9260c56126ae.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I think our tent was 28lbs, tipi would definitely have been lighter. We used 9” or 10” imitation MSR cyclone stakes.

LivinGood

FNG
Can't go wrong with one of the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tents. They have been proven many times up here. Wind is never an issue, until it is.... Same with wet saturated ground. Floorless can be a good option but its really going to depend on location. Bugs are pretty variable depending on the year and location. Early Aug can be pretty buggy if you are in a brushy damp location. If you're in the open/drier country and not a lot of brush around shouldn't have any bug issues.

Nothing wrong at all with the Alaskan Guide tents, I've used one on several Caribou hunts when weight wasn't an issue. Sometimes charter flights require you to stay under a certain weight and when that is the case, a floorless shelter will make your overall gear list and comfort go much further. I wouldn't hesitate to take one of the many high quality floorless shelters made today on a caribou hunt, or any hunt for that matter.

mcseal2

WKR
Going again I’d try to get the transporter to let me know if I’d be dropped along a river on a gravel bar, or on a lake or landing strip. The more likely I was to be dropped along a river with brush for wind protection and maybe driftwood for a stove the more likely I’d be to use a tipi. I hope to do another caribou hunt in a few years.

mooster

WKR
Going again I’d try to get the transporter to let me know if I’d be dropped along a river on a gravel bar, or on a lake or landing strip. The more likely I was to be dropped along a river with brush for wind protection and maybe driftwood for a stove the more likely I’d be to use a tipi. I hope to do another caribou hunt in a few years.
We kept our stove running with dead brush. We'd pick it up and pack it on our way back from our daily hunts. The landscape looked barren, but it was there if actively looked. If there was any clump of brush, there would be some deadwood. We never got any out of the lake or small river since the brush was so productive, right size, ez to break by hand to feed the stove.

OP
GKWMontana

GKWMontana

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate all the great advice! I know what works for us in Montana, but we don't have tundra.........I would love to bring a pyramid/tipi with a stove but have been concerned about wind. I really like the weight as well.

mooster

WKR
I really appreciate all the great advice! I know what works for us in Montana, but we don't have tundra.........I would love to bring a pyramid/tipi with a stove but have been concerned about wind. I really like the weight as well.
Just buy the longer twisted anchor stakes as insurance. Their light so no real penalty for carrying them. Amazon has them cheap.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider

If going floorless use big stakes and rock them up well. We were using 8" Y stakes and they didn't hold on their own. The BD mega lite doesn't have any centenary cut or mid-panel tie-outs - both of which should help.

Ono

FNG
In my mind shelter choice is a function of weight limitations, time of year, and wood availability/hunt location. On our Brooks range hunt, a stove would have been dead weight due to lack of burnable wood. Ill 2nd the Alaskan guide tents and the imitation cyclone stakes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04