Tent Snow Stakes

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got a Hilleberg Akto from a fellow Rokslide member. I'm wanting to do some snowshoe backpack trips this winter. I looked at the Rei here in town but wasn't sure as if the snow stakes would be that good or not. Just looking for some recommendations on what stakes you guys use, or what stakes to stay away from. Thanks!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have three Hille's including an Akto and I typically just use sticks/brush nearby. Shove the sticks down deep and pack the snow surrounding them. Let them sit for awhile to harden before tightening the lines. The MSR stakes are good for when there's no brush around though. If the snow is straight sugar you can add water and let them freeze.

5uFYA9b.jpg

jmden

WKR
https://smcgear.com/gear-shop/mountaineering/mountaineering-tent-stakes.html

SMC offers these in 3 sizes: 7", 9" and 14". The 9" and 14" versions would be preferred for good snow anchors. They are all made of 7000 series aluminum, so are quite strong. It's hard to tell from the SMC page but these are basically 'angle-iron' in cross section, so they nest into each other form compact packing. The 9" and 14" versions have approximately 1" of surface area either side of the 90 degree bend, so there's quite a bit of holding power. Especially with the 14" version. The 9" and 14" versions would also be good in sand.

I made a bunch of my own snow flukes and they work superb. Bought some 4" flat aluminum, cut them out and then bent in a vise. Drill a few holes and setup some rope so they dive and hold tight in the snow. Once the snow sets up, they're more solid than a real tent stake in soil. Not the lightest thing around, but if you are going to be in high wind areas, you'll want them. I used them north of Atigun pass on my big, 8 man tent and it handles hurricane winds just fine.

MTSabo

WKR
Ive used aluminum military antenna stakes with good results on my tipi. Their pretty cheap too. got mine on ebay.