Tent, Tipi, Tarp, Shelter HELP!!!

simpy16

FNG
I have been trying to take in as much info as I can, research products, read reviews but I am still somewhat at a loss on which way to go in terms of a sleeping apparatus while outside.

Idaho, mostly early fall, and summer, Would like something packable when going into the backcountry. 2 man sized or possibly 3ish with my kiddos in tow.

What are some recommendations in the area of a full tent, tipi offerings? Stone Glacier? Kuiu? Big Agnes? Seek Outside?

Also if I wanted a lightweight tarp what would you recommend? Seek? VIAM?

I am thinking a shelter and some more protective piece will be a good place to start. Might add something for colder temps later.

archp625

WKR
I as in the same boat as you a year ago. I went with the SO Cimmaron lite with a stove jack no screen. This shelter is light and you can add a stove later on when more funds come or if you want to sleep when its cold.

I went with a medium U-turn stove. My recommendation would be to get a large stove or a large u-turn. Easier to put larger pieces wood in there.

I like Kuiu clothing, but have been really unimpressed with their shelters. If you are looking for a self standing tent, there are much better options out there than Kuiu for the price. Look at North Face, Big Agnes, Marmot, Black Diamond, etc.

One of my favorite shelters is the Kifaru Sawtooth. With the poles and stove I think it is right around 5.5 pounds, and two men and a kid can sleep in it with the stove if you choose to.

renagde

WKR
I've use the Luxe Hiking Gear Hexpeak for awhile, now I just upgrade to the Kifaru Supertarp. Luxe Hiking Gear products are a lot of product for the money. There's some negative reviews on this site for them, but you have to understand you get what you pay for. You can often find these in the classifieds for really cheap as they're a great way to get into the floor less shelter game for not much money. In fact, if interested I need to list my Hexpeak one of these days.

The Kifaru Supertarp is in another playing field. Superb materials and workmanship. The design is awesome and obviously it's USA made and Kifaru is a great company that stands behind their product.

You can't go wrong with Seekoutside or Kifaru.

Well summer has bugs. And kids
Id suggest big Agnes copper spur.

Then a viam flat tarp. Or seek dst

Try out the tarps on solo trips when you want less weight and a good way to test if you'll like floorless.
If you convinced you can handle floorless id get a Cimarron instead of the Big Agnes

There all popular and won't be hard to resell if you don't love it.

Honestly just dive in buy one and try it out.

Westmjk

FNG
I choose a Tarptent Stratospire 1p under similar criteria. I gave up on one shelter to solve my problems. I mostly use by myself. I’ve used it with 1 of my kids. We were tight but had fun. I choose/lucked into conditions to make it work. I will be adding a tipi (probably SO redcliff) to be comfortable with multiple kids and get later into the season with buddies.

I have a Kifaru Tut, Seek Outside Silex, Big Agnes Cooper Spur 2, 8x10 flat tarp and Kifaru Sheep Tarp for all my shelter needs. Also have a stove for the Tut and a couple of Borah Gear Bivys for the tarp shelters. Haven’t found anything I can’t sleep thru yet with that selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy tarps is gone.
But I carry a 6x9 flat trap everywhere i go.
In early season it is my shelter and rain gear as most storms are passing.
20190520_135044.jpg

I used a Jimmy Tarps Hudson last year and loved how light it is. Haven’t used it in cold weather, but it’s got a stove Jack. Worked great for two guys backpacking with my hunting partner.
A tipi would work great size wise for kids providing they can handle floor less. Would have a lot do with age I think. I know my two couldn’t handle it right now at 8, but in a few years they’d probably do great.

Phaseolus

WKR
The DST tarp from seek outside is hard to beat for a multi purpose tarp that can be a good stand alone shelter.

Attachments

• B40FA6E2-4C03-41A7-B127-0A736F7B2A4D.jpeg
    B40FA6E2-4C03-41A7-B127-0A736F7B2A4D.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 4BFFD71B-3BB3-4157-ADF8-4E26A115DBC5.jpeg
    4BFFD71B-3BB3-4157-ADF8-4E26A115DBC5.jpeg
    748.7 KB · Views: 81

DRock1986

FNG
Best system for the backcountry!