Tent weight

Stalker69

WKR
I am thinking of a new tent, would like a Hilleberg, but I am wondering how much most of you guys tents weigh ? I like quality stuff but 8 lbs. seems like quite heavy ?

Last edited:

HuntNTag

WKR
Really depends on the seasons you are hunting. If you roll into a 4 season tent, you will have higher weight in your pack than a 3 season.

I think you are going to get a range of answers here, especially with a floorless shelters, single wall shelters, etc.

Personally, I use a 3 season tent the most but have a 4 season tent in the event I head out for the late season.

My goal is to be in the sub 4lb mark for 90% of my hunts with my 3 season tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My heaviest 4 season bombproof backpacking tents are two person models, and weigh less than 3 lbs. But ever since going to floorless single walled shelters (about 10 years ago), I haven't used a traditional tent, and now my heaviest shelter is a 4 person Mid that weighs 46 oz. with everything. I would never even consider packing an 8 lb. tent, unless it was being divided up between 4 guys.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am thinking of a new tent, would like a Hilleberg, but I am wondering how much most of you guys tents weigh ? I like quality stuff but 8 lbs. seems like quite heavy ?
What's your usage going to be? Yes, Hilles are heavier than your regular tents from backpacking brands, but there's no comparison in durability and longevity. If you are going to pitch in tight quarters then a lot of mids and other floorless shelters will be out of consideration. There's no one tent that's good in every situation and condition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Really need a good durable “ do it all” tent. From above timber line in Colorado in sept- nov. to Texas in feb- March. A floor is a must, rattle snakes, spiders and scorpions are very prevalent. Been using my sons, not sure what brand it is, or how much it weighs, never really thought about it.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Really depends on the seasons you are hunting. If you roll into a 4 season tent, you will have higher weight in your pack than a 3 season.

I think you are going to get a range of answers here, especially with a floorless shelters, single wall shelters, etc.

Personally, I use a 3 season tent the most but have a 4 season tent in the event I head out for the late season.

My goal is to be in the sub 4lb mark for 90% of my hunts with my 3 season tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What brand is your four season tent ?

Elkangle

WKR
Really need a good durable “ do it all” tent. From above timber line in Colorado in sept- nov. to Texas in feb- March. A floor is a must, rattle snakes, spiders and scorpions are very prevalent. Been using my sons, not sure what brand it is, or how much it weighs, never really thought about it.

It's really hard to have a do it all shelter...eventually youl be compromising

The seek outside Cimeron light and mld bivy is a very versatile set up but it's expensive...I really enjoy always having that bivy option incase I get hit with a hurricane and just wana crawl in a hole

Also has a bug net...for the creeps

The dyneema fabric is awesome and won't soak in...the cimeron light is a no Brainer shelter

Between both I'm at around 20oz for a versatile shelter when going with a parter...and if not I'm still in the 30oz range in a mansion

Just some thoughts

BBob

WKR
I'm mostly setup for solo. If I'm with someone they are also in solo gear and we almost never double up in one shelter. My minimalist setup is ~14-15 oz. That's a DCF tarp and DCF bivy. For fully enclosed 3 season it's a Tarptent Notch Li ~22oz. For 4 season my lightest setup is a Bibler I-Tent ~4.5 lbs. I rarely need a 4 season for where and what I hunt so I've never sought out something lighter.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's really hard to have a do it all shelter...eventually youl be compromising

The seek outside Cimeron light and mld bivy is a very versatile set up but it's expensive...I really enjoy always having that bivy option incase I get hit with a hurricane and just wana crawl in a hole

Also has a bug net...for the creeps

The dyneema fabric is awesome and won't soak in...the cimeron light is a no Brainer shelter

Between both I'm at around 20oz for a versatile shelter when going with a parter...and if not I'm still in the 30oz range in a mansion

Just some thoughts
Unless he buys a used DCF Seek shelter he isn't getting one from them directly right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
I think every ul tent company makes somthing similar....needs to be dcf...needs to lower to the ground